High gas prices.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 06:34 AM)
Ethanol currently does almost nothing to cut into our energy demand.

Nor will it ever, by some estimates. I forget where I read that, but it would seem to be a farce to think that it will ever come to the amount of energy to even make a dent on our oil consumption.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 03:50 AM)
Nor will it ever, by some estimates. I forget where I read that, but it would seem to be a farce to think that it will ever come to the amount of energy to even make a dent on our oil consumption.

Although, that is on the assumption we continue to use corn for ethanol. Other ag products seem to have much higher energy output.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
Really? Like what? I'm curious.

Well, the example other people always cite is sugar cane, which has a much higher energy content per unit crop harvested than corn (Think; eat a pound of corn and a pound of sugar. How many hours before you can go to sleep after each?) A lot of people discuss how Brazil has had some success in this, but the numbers are often poorly understood, and claims are made that only end up wasting energy and costing American consumers even more $$.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
Really? Like what? I'm curious.

There is a difference between conventional grain-based ethanol (corn, soy) and cellulosic ethanol (switchgrass, etc.). That is one important differentiation. Cellulosic ethanol requires no use of fossil fuels up front for production, or at least a lot less, and gives you more energy by mass. Here is a lengthy but interesting article...

http://www.harvestcleanenergy.org/enews/en...sic_Ethanol.htm

A brief from Iowa State (go Clones!) on the energy output difference, and links to a DOE study:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~brummer/ag/biomass2.htm

Now, part of the problem with cellolosic ethanol is that it will take some time and money to get the infrastructure up and running (just like any other feul source). But once it is there, we would have a renewable, locally-produced, lower emission fuel to work with.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 3, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
:lol:

I don't know if I have that long right now. I'll try to read this sometime soon, cause I think it's interesting. Besides, technology like this, if it's done right, is a great investment opportunity.

That's actually one of the big debate topics there...as one of the guys involved in the debates is investing heavily in ethanol technologies, while the other is contending it won't work and ever be profitable without government subsidies (as it is now).

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
$2 gas "more likely than unlikely"

Me personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll say it again, and that article echos it: the market will NOT sustain gas at the current levels.

True. To get to the levels they would like to see it at, all of the corn production in a large portion of the midwest would have to go towards ethanol. That's as technology and resources stand now, though. As NSS said, there's much more promising developements, it'll just take some time and a whole lot of money to get there.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
I'll say it again, and that article echos it: the market will NOT sustain gas at the current levels.

True. To get to the levels they would like to see it at, all of the corn production in a large portion of the midwest would have to go towards ethanol. That's as technology and resources stand now, though. As NSS said, there's much more promising developements, it'll just take some time and a whole lot of money to get there.

Even then, it still takes oil to run the farm equipment.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
Even then, it still takes oil to run the farm equipment.

If the fuel for the equipment is not oil-based, and the oil used in the engine is synthetic, then in fact zero oil is used by the farm equipment.

Or did you mean right now, with current technology?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 13, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
It matters to me because I love having cheaper gas in Iowa. Last I knew it was like 2.25 in Cedar Falls, but that was on Sunday.

2.19 in Des Moines, and that is the Super Unleaded, which is cheaper than Regular Unleaded.