Rumor: Time Running Out For Manuel

Chisoxfn

Rumor: Time Running Out For Manuel

By Mario Scalise

June 2, 2003

SoxNet.net

(SN Report #513) - With the White Sox' season continuing to flutter and a poor 2-5 start to a key 14-game road trip, manager Jerry Manuel is rumored to be on the hot seat.

In fact, he may not even make his way back to Chicago when they return to host the San Francisco Giants on June 10th, according to reports.

Manuel, who is in his sixth season as manager of the Sox, has faced heavy scrutiny dating back to last year, after the Sox responded to a disheartening 2001 season with an even worse 2002 campaign, compiling an 81-81 record.

The Sox are 25-31 this season and 6.5 games out in a division who has only team over the .500 mark - the Twins, who are at .564, the second worst record next to the Chicago Cubs among first place teams.

There is no word on who would replace Manuel if he were to be fired, but top canidates are said to be AAA Charlotte manager Wally Backman and former New York Mets manager, and current ESPN analyst, Bobby Valentine.

also, I don't mean to get peoples hopes all high. I simply hear/find something and think about it, then report it if I feel it is somewhat legit. a lot of stories I pass up on because they don't fit or come together, others I write on.

What's sad is we're too cheap to pay anybody outside, so it'll be Backman if JM ever gets fired.

I hope Backman is the answer. Walker sure hasn't been the answer as hitting coach, though I am now convinced hitting coaches don't do squat.

It's a worthless position. Big league players aren't gonna listen to anybody.

Generally, over the years, I haven't seen a hitting coach make much of an impact on the overall production of a major league team. There are exceptions, as some have acquired notoriety (Lau, for example), yet even the "best" have had there detractors. You also get a situation where a hitting can make an impact on 1 or 2 players, as something just clicks between them. But, all and all, hitting coaches come and go and nothing much changes.

What's sad is we're too cheap to pay anybody outside, so it'll be Backman if JM ever gets fired.

I hope Backman is the answer. Walker sure hasn't been the answer as hitting coach, though I am now convinced hitting coaches don't do squat.

Lets analyze this. How much influence could a hitting coach really have over MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS?

call it what you but Backman wins. Call the Sox what you want, but they keep finding ways to lose. At this point, why not try it?

as long as it is done, I don't think it needs to be public.

I was thinking today that it really makes no sense to fire JM first. If KW hires a new manager and then the Sox fire KW, we will have a manager not hired by the GM, and they may not be on the same page... as we have had the last couple of seasons.

So I am thinking that KW needs to go first, get the new GM, and let the new GM hire the manager.

That is today's reflection. Wish no one had to get fired but this team is playing way too weak for too long. So both need to go.

I don't know what to think.

The quote about him not lasting the road trip, was from the AP writer who covered the game. I'm sure he's just reporting buzz in the press box.

Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight said he doesn't think Manuel will last the road trip either. It also sounds like he supports Manuel.

Unlike the last white flag, this team will catch Cleveland :angry:

If they don't do something in the next week or so it doesn't matter. This team will be in such a hole no manager could dig them out. At that point let JM stay and save some money.

How does he save this gig? By winning a couple of games? We are going to sputter and sputter, almost get going then sputter some more. Hasn't JR seen enough? Who cares if they win 5 of the next 8?

I'm still thinking an offseason dismissal, along with a decent free agent signing, to keep the season tix checks flowing in. They need to create buzz this next offseason even more so if the Cubs continue having their "magical season". What better than hiring a new manager. If they do dump JM it will be for an interim type of guy to be replaced by a permanent person during the off season. It would also be KW last chance.

Speaking of our friends up north, I just talked to a buddy who works for the Houston newspaper and the guys around the Astros organization are privately (or so he says) believe the Cubs are in it for the long haul and feel this is their (Astros) last chance for a few seasons. They actually are thinking a couple year run for the Cubs :huh: Makes my stomach churn if we aren't winning also.