Heading West, are the demons still there?

SoxAce

I'm sick of this.

Go to Anaheim, take 2/3 or sweep. No excuses. Call it a .500 roadtrip on the West Coast and take your chances in Cleveland.

I hope to God Guillen avoids his Sunday lineups in Anaheim. Unless we clinch another playoff birth by tomorrow, I don't want to see Mackowiak, Cintron and Ozuna in the same starting lineup.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
I think we might get made look silly by Santana on Sunday, but I really like the matchups on Friday and Saturday. 2 of 3 will happen.

Hopefully Garcia thinks that the Angels are good so he can bring a fastball with him. If he thinks they suck, he will try and finese him and get rocked.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
World Series chamionships, apparently.

But we NEED to play all of our starters in every single game of this road trip. It's of the utmost importance that we sweep AL West teams.

Thats it!! I'm tired of World Series Championships too!!!

Guys, albeit the opening Seattle game lineup was very weak, at least we were in position to take all 3 games in a place we've struggled mightily in the past. Pitching kept us in them, we just didn't get it done. Lets just worry about 2 out of 3 from the Angels, and call it a successful West Coast roadtrip I say!

Wondering how bad AJ will be booed this weekend...

A.J. Pierzynski never is one to pull back an opinion, whether he's right on the money with his thoughts or way off target.

But when asked how he felt about his role as Public Enemy No. 1 in Anaheim, as the 2005 American League Championship Series rematch takes shape as a 2006 regular-season, three-game series beginning Friday at Angel Stadium, Pierzynski responded with a very salient point.

"Why isn't Joe Crede being called Public Enemy No. 1?" asked Pierzynski Wednesday with a slightly crooked smile. "Joe Crede is the one that got all the hits.

"It just breaks my heart," added Pierzynski, in regard to the expected negative reaction coming his way from the Angels' faithful. "Honestly, it makes me laugh, I do know that. I know after the strikeout game, I got booed pretty good. It's just part of the game. This team got a big chuckle out of it, which was good."

"The strikeout game," referred to by Pierzynski, features one of the biggest moments in White Sox postseason history. Strangely enough, that moment centered on a dropped third strike with two outs in the bottom of the ninth of Game 2 of the ALCS that Angels catcher Josh Paul thought he caught and that home-plate umpire Doug Eddings never made a truly decisive call on in either direction. Pierzynski, playing heads-up baseball, ran to first base and stayed there after an umpires' conference on the field.

Pinch-runner Pablo Ozuna scored the game-winning run one battler later on Crede's double off reliever Kelvim Escobar, evening the series at one victory apiece. The White Sox traveled to Anaheim and locked up their first World Series berth since 1959 on the strength of three straight complete games from Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras, coming on the heels of Mark Buehrle's complete game in Game 2.

In a strange twist of fate, Garcia, Contreras and Garland will pitch this weekend in Anaheim -- just in a different order. The relievers might actually get into a game or two, unlike the 2005 ALCS, when Neal Cotts was the only hurler out of the bullpen to ever see the field.

"Every now and then we got up, just in case it started raining and the starter had to come out or something," said White Sox closer Bobby Jenks, in regard to the lack of relief work during the ALCS. "Other than that, we had the pillows for our butts. We were quite comfy.

"When we get there [Friday], it will go through our heads what our starters did and what we accomplished there as a team. But once we get to that hour before game time, it's over. It's a new year."

Jeff Weaver, who was pitching for the Dodgers in 2005, starts up the rivalry once again Friday night against Garcia. Weaver is 5-5 lifetime against the White Sox with a 3.52 earned run average, while Garcia enters the start tied with Wilson Alvarez for the most career victories by a native Venezuelan at 102.

Pierzynski should be crowned the visiting player who is the biggest object of jeers and boos in Anaheim by the time this weekend series is complete. But as Pierzynski mentioned, it comes with the territory after last season's strange road to success.

And it's that high level of success which makes the White Sox a target in pretty much any series they play away from home. That target sits just fine with manager Ozzie Guillen.

"I love to be the target," Guillen said. "That means we did something to be the target. It's one thing about when people talk about you good or bad, at least they are worried about you. I heard that [said by] Madonna. That's the way it is.

"They are a good ballclub, and I never like to play against Anaheim. The manager [Mike Scioscia] is one of the best managers in baseball. To me, he's one of the guys who will keep you on the edge and make the guys play the game right. But we have to go at it like its 2006 and 2005 is over. We have to play the way we've played lately."

As for Pierzynski, he's ready for the intensely negative reaction to come his way. He doesn't remember anything specifically harsh from the three ALCS games in Anaheim last year. It was more along the lines of high comedy.

"I remember this lady sitting next to the on-deck circle," Pierzynski said. "She looked just like [actress] Courtney Cox -- I don't know if it was her or not. But she kept looking at me and saying, 'You [stink], you [stink].'

"Obviously, it's a series that a lot of people are going to look at, try and take stock in it, but at the same time, it is early in the year. It's a different year, different team, and it's not the postseason, where things are turned up a notch.

"It's going to be fun, and I'm sure the crowd will be excited, the teams will be excited," Pierzynski added. "I'm sure the media will hype it up, but it's just another series."

4-2 Westcoast roadtrip is definitely more than I could have hoped for.

I'm especially impressed with how they handled Santana. He dominated Detroit's lineup his last start, and I was expected similar results this evening. Garland didn't impress me, but what's important is he limited damage following his three run, 5th inning. We can thank Salmon and Cintron for that.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
4-2 Westcoast roadtrip is definitely more than I could have hoped for.

I'm especially impressed with how they handled Santana. He dominated Detroit's lineup his last start, and I was expected similar results this evening. Garland didn't impress me, but what's important is he limited damage following his three run, 5th inning. We can thank Salmon and Cintron for that.

Yep, losing 2/3 to the Mariners stings a hell of a lot less after sweeping the Angels.

Santana has very impressive stuff and will be an ace on day. Just not today.

Garland got hit hard again, but had his normal velocity and just didn't hit his spots. And he did stay out there for 7 full innings. He's still probably the best #5 pitcher in the league, so I'm not going to worry about him much at this point.

Actually, I didn't think Jon looked all that bad. The only player who really got to him was Cabrera (3 hits) and he's got a pretty good history against him. If he gets that one pitch a few inches more inside, Jon only gives up 3 runs for the day. He didn't look spectacular, but I'll take it.