Heading West, are the demons still there?

SoxAce

Sox try their luck out West

CHICAGO -- Did the White Sox officially exorcise their West Coast demons with the three-game sweep of the Angels in Anaheim, clinching the American League pennant late last October?

The American League Central leaders will have a chance to answer that question, beginning Monday night in Seattle. The White Sox play six of their next eight games in the Pacific Time Zone, with three against the Mariners and three against the Angels, following Thursday's off-day.

It's an area of the country that has spelled trouble for the White Sox since manager Ozzie Guillen was a player. Since 1998, the South Siders have a 13-26 record in Seattle, a 12-24 mark in Anaheim and a dismal 10-29 ledger in Oakland.

"Oakland is the only place we think about, because we really struggle out there," said reliever Cliff Politte of his team's Western problems. "Otherwise, nobody really is talking about how we are going out West."

While the three straight wins in Anaheim obviously did a great deal for the White Sox confidence, where playing in that part of the country is concerned, it's actually the four victories that followed in Houston which really changed the team's perception. As Politte pointed out, the White Sox came into the 2006 season carrying the expectations of a champion to win, and win quite frequently, whether the games are being played at U.S. Cellular Field or Angel Stadium.

For Guillen, it's more about maintaining the same steady approach that produced 12 wins in the team's first 17 games.

"Just take it one day at a time and not worry where we are," Guillen said. "Be consistent every day about our business, regardless if we are losing or winning. When you lose and you cut the losing streak quicker, you have a better chance to win the division. That's what good teams do."

Good teams usually feature a top-notch pitching staff, and the White Sox have one of the best in baseball. This current fact leads the team back to the 2005 ALCS and deciphering the key ingredient for West Coast success.

"The difference was our starting pitching," said Politte, of the consecutive complete games put up by Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia and Jose Contreras during the ALCS. "If you have the sort of starting pitching we had, your team is going to win a lot of games anywhere."

Midsummer thoughts: Guillen's focus currently lies with the White Sox and their day-to-day on-field battles. But it won't be long before Guillen will have to change uniforms and think about managing his first All-Star Game for the American League.

For now, Guillen simply is trying to set his All-Star coaching staff. He added Sunday morning that his entire White Sox staff will be making the trip to Pittsburgh for the July 11 contest, even if he has to foot the bill himself.

When asked about loading up the AL roster with White Sox players, as Joe Torre did with the Yankees in his last managerial role, Guillen smiled and said he would love to take every member of his team. But he also pointed out how the managers don't have the same say in the selection process as they did previously.

"We don't really have the chance to pick that many people," Guillen said. "The fans vote for players. Then all of a sudden the fans vote for the final guy. We might pick one or two guys. That's what I think. The pitching staff is real tough to pick because one guy is going to pitch one day [before], and then he can't pitch.

"To tell you the truth, it's an honor to be there. There's nothing better than being the manager of the All-Star team when you win the title before. Besides that, it's a lot of work. There are a lot of things to do. The best thing about the All-Star Game is when the game starts."

And Guillen intends to win once the game starts, a victory that once again could give the White Sox home-field advantage in the World Series, if they get that far.

A funny guy: Maybe a return to Seattle will help Brian Anderson get his offense moving in the right direction. During an Aug. 26 game last season at Safeco Field, Anderson had the greatest game of his young career with his only two Major League home runs both coming off rookie phenom Felix Hernandez. Anderson finished with three hits for the night. He had six hits in 41 at-bats entering Sunday's contest.

But as has been the case since the start of the season, Anderson has maintained his same easy-going, humorous demeanor in the throes of the early-season funk. For example, Anderson was asked after Friday's game if he felt a sense of pride in regard to getting a hit off Johan Santana, one of the top pitchers in baseball.

"Except for the fact I thought I was going to square it up and go deep, and it shattered my bat," said Anderson, drawing a laugh from the media. "He's unbelievable. If I can get one hit off of him a game, I'll take that every time."

Anderson also had an interesting take on the fast early pace featured by both Santana and Buehrle for Friday's game.

"I was joking with [brandon] McCarthy early, saying that could be an hour game, we could get some dinner and be in bed by 9:30, if all goes well," a smiling Anderson said.

Down on the farm: Paulo Orlando continued his hot offensive start with three hits, including his second home run, during Class A Kannapolis' 8-7 loss at Charleston on Saturday. Orlando is hitting .383 for the season. ... Lance Broadway pitched well enough to win but suffered the loss in Double-A Birmingham's 2-1 setback at Jacksonville on Saturday. Broadway struck out four and allowed two runs over seven innings, giving him 22 strikeouts and three walks in 25 innings pitched this season. Chris Getz, who had one hit Saturday, is hitting .478 during his six-game hitting streak for Birmingham. The Barons also have at least one double in all 17 games this season.

Up next: Garland tries to build on Tuesday's solid effort against Kansas City, as he takes the mound in Seattle on Monday. He'll start the White Sox eight-game road trip against the Mariners' Jamie Moyer. Garland allowed one earned run in six innings during last Tuesday's contest.

Last year we started to put an end to that west coast spell. It was sweet seeing them win 3 in a row in Anaheim and to make things better it was in the PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Can't wait till the Sox are in town this weekend. That + Bulls playoffs + the NFL draft = Great sports weekend

Man I tell ya what looking at the M's rotation they have REALLY improved from last year. If Pineiro has a good season, (starting off good right now) then they can be really a torn on the side in the AL West this year. Moyer-Pineiro-Hernandez-Washburn-Meche is really solid. Too bad their offense isn't that good especially Ichiro (of all people) hitting well below his usual self. (even though he has heated up now the last 5 games.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Man I tell ya what looking at the M's rotation they have REALLY improved from last year. If Pineiro has a good season, (starting off good right now) then they can be really a torn on the side in the AL West this year. Moyer-Pineiro-Hernandez-Washburn-Meche is really solid. Too bad their offense isn't that good especially Ichiro (of all people) hitting well below his usual self. (even though he has heated up now the last 5 games.

Yeah they have definitely improved in that rotation, but they simply aren't hitting at all. This series could be more circa 2005 in that our pitching will have to (and will IMO) get it done, although I must say that EVERYBODY (other than Brian Anderson :)) is happy we avoid King Felix this series, even if he hasn't been totally on his game so far this year.

Since 1998, the South Siders have a 13-26 record in Seattle, a 12-24 mark in Anaheim and a dismal 10-29 ledger in Oakland.

Last years Angel sweep possibly hints at better things for the team in the Pacific time zone.

Yeah I like to think that socking it to them when it counted put that curse to bed.

Of course, Oakland games there could still be our bete noire as they have been for years.

And let's not forget Texas (not WC I know), who definitely had our number last year. Especially that Uncle Fester guy in left field for them.

If we can take some LAA/Oakland series out there this season, perhaps it is indeed a new day.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
I'm psyched for the trip to Anaheim. Any so-cal soxtalkers heading down to the orange curtain for next weekend's series?

Friday: Freddy vs. Weaver

Saturday: Contreras vs. Escobar

Sunday: Garland vs. Santana

should be a tough series

For that Saturday game, Ozzie should bat Crede 4th, considering how Joe OWNED Escobar in the ALCS ;)

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
I'm psyched for the trip to Anaheim. Any so-cal soxtalkers heading down to the orange curtain for next weekend's series?

Friday: Freddy vs. Weaver

Saturday: Contreras vs. Escobar

Sunday: Garland vs. Santana

should be a tough series

I originally planned to swing down for the Friday game (I'm currently in Oregon) but now I have a court date in Chicago Friday morning :(

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
I originally planned to swing down for the Friday game (I'm currently in Oregon) but now  I have a court date in Chicago Friday morning :(

court date?

hell, just come down to Anaheim then keep going to Mexico!

Last year, during the playoffs in Anaheim, I met a couple in the parking lot who had some Sox gear on so I naturally stopped to chat. Their license plate was from South Dakota and they had driven all the way just to catch the Sox. Most impressive.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 23, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)
Counting the 2 in Cleveland after this, it's an 8 game road trip.  We did great on this homestand, so give me 5-3 on this trip and i'll be VERY pleased, and 4-4 wouldn't be all that bad as long as 1 of the wins is a game in Cleveland.

Cleveland match up looks to be:

Vasquez vs. Westbrook

Buehrle vs. Lee

Those will be damn good pitching duels.

CHICAGO -- Did the White Sox officially exorcise their West Coast demons with the three-game sweep of the Angels in Anaheim, clinching the American League pennant late last October?

The American League Central leaders will have a chance to answer that question, beginning Monday night in Seattle. The White Sox play six of their next eight games in the Pacific Time Zone, with three against the Mariners and three against the Angels, following Thursday's off-day.

we didn't sweep Anaheim to win the AL last year......Anaheim won the first didn't they??

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
we didn't sweep Anaheim to win the AL last year......Anaheim won the first didn't they??

Read it carefully

with the three-game sweep of the Angels in Anaheim
Edited by WHarris1