Mike Scioscia

Linnwood

Contreras masterful again as White Sox slip past Halos

Pierzynski once again found himself in the middle of the matchup between the two teams. He is widely regarded by Angels fans as Public Enemy No. 1 ever since three pivotal plays he was involved in went against the Angels in the playoffs.

He was struck on the back of the right leg by an Escobar pitch in the second inning -- resulting in a warning to both dugouts. White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and Angels counterpart Mike Scioscia argued separately with plate umpire Paul Nauert about the warning.

"People in this league think I'm a headhunter. Anytime one of my players get hit, they warn me out of nowhere," Guillen said. "I know the umpires have to protect the integrity of the game and protect the players -- and they're right. But I'm getting tired of them giving me a warning every time our guy gets hit. We get hit more than any team in baseball. So if they think I'm a headhunter, they've got the wrong guy."

Pierzynski is the only batter Escobar has hit in 29 innings this season. But Pierzynski and Guillen absolved Scioscia of any the blame and pointed to Escobar.

"I have no problem at all with Mike Scioscia," said Pierzynski, who was booed by the crowd of 44,065 every time he batted. "He seems like a class guy, a standup guy. He's a great manager, he's had some great teams and he goes about his business the right way, so I have nothing but the utmost respect for him."

Scioscia denied any intent regarding the pitch that struck Pierzynski, and any inference that the Angels had a score to settle with him.

"The umpire was telling me that it's well-documented, the problem with Pierzynski -- but I'm not aware of any problem," Scioscia said. "We have no problem with Pierzynski, and we're not about to throw at their guys or go about our business in that manner. That misinformation from the umpires is disturbing -- very disturbing."

So Scioscia doesn't read the sports section or watch TV? :huh:

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
They're not BOOing they're say BOOzynski

smithers.jpg

Agrees with you.

Concerning this Pierzynski HBP, it really highlights this bulls*** system for administering warnings. It has been called numerous occasions against our team, as Guillen mentioned within the article. Apparently, because both ballclubs were warned to avoid such incidents before the series began, following the first HBP the next would lead to an ejection. So whomever hits the first batter realizes unless the other team is willing to lose a pitcher, they won't retaliate. It's not going to help matters--if anything, it should increase HBP's.

I'm going to be upset tomorrow if one of Garlands two seem fastballs happen to hit a batters wrist and he's immediately ejected. What happened with Escobar is about as blatant and purposeful a hits batsman as can possibly exist. He's on record as disliking AJ for Christs sake..

Hey scosica read this;

Escobar not exactly a card-carrying fan of Pierzynski

February 28, 2006

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

TUCSON, Ariz. -- White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski is used to hearing that he's disliked.

So when he heard Monday that Los Angeles Angels pitcher Kelvim Escobar was the latest to voice his displeasure with him, Pierzynski didn't blink.

Asked by an Angels reporter about a Pierzynski baseball card that a teammate put on his locker, Escobar said he never was a fan of Pierzynski's.

"No way,'' Escobar said. "[i've] never been [a fan] since he played in Minnesota.''

Coincidentally, Escobar was on the mound when Pierzynski reached first base in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series after a controversial ninth-inning strikeout, setting up the winning run.

While Escobar said he never spoke to Pierzynski, the two had words in that game after Pierzynski flied out to right field in his first at-bat against the reliever. Escobar noticed Pierzynski shaking his head after the pop out and said to him: "You think you missed it? Get it next time.''

"I hit a fly ball to right and I was walking off the field, shaking my head, and he said, 'Oh, you just missed that one -- ugh, ugh, ugh,''' Pierzynski said.

But Pierzynski didn't seem bothered that Escobar wasn't a fan of his.

"Oh, well. What can I do?'' Pierzynski said. "Tell him turn the page.''

Pierzynski also pointed out that he has a Brett Tomko baseball card hanging above his locker. Tomko is the one who labeled Pierzynski a "clubhouse cancer'' when the two played together in San Francisco.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 07:28 AM)
AJ:  "I don't know why he hit me.  I don't know what I did.  I didn't do anything to show him up.  I just ran to first.  Maybe he should hit the guy who rolled the ball back to the pitcher."

:lol:

:lolhitting

--------------------------------------------------------

Their manager is full of s*** and a liar.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
:lolhitting

--------------------------------------------------------

Their manager is full of s*** and a liar.

He cant play that up to the press, any prior knowledge of something like that would get Escobar in trouble. He has to play dumb

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
He cant play that up to the press, any prior knowledge of something like that would get Escobar in trouble.  He has to play dumb

There's obvious dishonesty and intellectually dishonesty that isn't dishonest, per se -- it's all the difference between saying "I'm not aware of any recent history" about something that happened a hundred years ago and saying, "I did not have sexual relations with that HBP."

He's being so blatantly dishonest that it tarnishes any integrity he might be accused of having. Escobar, too. "I overthrew it." Yeah, okay.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
There's obvious dishonesty and intellectually dishonesty that isn't dishonest, per se -- it's all the difference between saying "I'm not aware of any recent history" about something that happened a hundred years ago and saying, "I did not have sexual relations with that HBP."

He's being so blatantly dishonest that it tarnishes any integrity he might be accused of having. Escobar, too. "I overthrew it." Yeah, okay.

That doesnt change the fact that he cant play that up to the press. :)

I agree with you, but i know why he isnt admitting prior knowledge

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
AJ:  "I don't know why he hit me.  I don't know what I did.  I didn't do anything to show him up.  I just ran to first.  Maybe he should hit the guy who rolled the ball back to the pitcher."

:lol:

Thats hilarious! The warning system is bulls***, though. First off that pitch looked blatant as hell, but for our dugout to get a warning for it was crap, and it does happen all of the time. My worry was the one would get away from Count later on in the game and he would be screwed because Escobar is a jagoff. I was really proud of the way AJ handled it though, knowing full well it was on purpose, he grimaced a little, tossed his bat back, and ran to first.

And for Scioscia to deny knowing that there is a problem is funny as hell, that story has been in the news more than once.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
That doesnt change the fact that he cant play that up to the press.  :)

I agree with you, but i know why he isnt admitting prior knowledge

Well, surely I understand, too, that he can't say, "That f***er had it coming" but I just think this level of dishonesty is so blatant as to be humorous/disgusting.

The warning system IS bulls***. It changes the way the game is pitched, pitchers have to become less aggressive with the inside half of the plate and it sets hitters up to look outside. I just dont understand why both teams have to be warned, if one of Contreras' forkballs ran way inside on a righty, then the Sox would have been punished for something that they didnt even retaliate from. If the umps had "well documented info" about this situation, then maybe before the first pitch is even thrown he should have said something to Escobar, Guillen, and Scioscia about keeping the game under control, instead of waiting until he hit someone.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 10:40 AM)
Well, surely I understand, too, that he can't say, "That f***er had it coming" but I just think this level of dishonesty is so blatant as to be humorous/disgusting.

Ozzie would be saying the same things, if the tables were turned. Scioscia's doing exactly what you're supposed to do.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:44 AM)
Ozzie would be saying the same things, if the tables were turned.  Scioscia's doing exactly what you're supposed to do.

If Damaso Marte plunked Carlos Lee, I don't think Guillen would say, "I wasn't aware that they'd had any history" or "I didn't know there was a problem." He'd downplay it, to be sure, but I don't think Guillen's that type.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
Damaso Marte and Carlos Lee have a past history?

Or are you referring to history between Guillen and Lee, because thats not quite the same

Yeah, Lee used to make fun of Marte for having grown up poor and would get physical with him. There was a bunch more, but that's the shortend of it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
If Damaso Marte plunked Carlos Lee, I don't think Guillen would say, "I wasn't aware that they'd had any history" or "I didn't know there was a problem." He'd downplay it, to be sure, but I don't think Guillen's that type.

He may not say it the exact same way Scioscia did, but he would leave it between the players. EVERY manger is going to be politically correct in that situation.

You would have to have just started watching the Sox in October to think otherwise...... :ph34r:

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
Damaso Marte and Carlos Lee have a past history?

Or are you referring to history between Guillen and Lee, because thats not quite the same

That, coupled with a desire for some leadoff man, was what led to Lee being labeled one of the "selfish" players and being sent off.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
That, coupled with a desire for some leadoff man, was what led to Lee being labeled one of the "selfish" players and being sent off.

this is between players, so the heat generated isnt quite the same as it would be if Guillen had a player plunk Lee

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
He may not say it the exact same way Scioscia did, but he would leave it between the players.  EVERY manger is going to be politically correct in that situation. 

You would have to have just started watching the Sox in October to think otherwise...... :ph34r:

Please don't start implying that I'm some bandwagon fan. That's bulls***. :rolly

All I'm saying is that I don't think Guillen would gain amnesia about the story of his baseball team and forget that, for instance, Carlos Lee treated Damaso Marte like s*** and thus Marte beaned him. He wouldn't say, "I ordered it" or even condone it, but all I'm saying is that I don't think he'd pretend that nothing had ever happened like Scioscia. I wasn't aware that I'd declared Geoff Blum the best hitter in White Sox history.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
this is between players, so the heat generated isnt quite the same as it would be if Guillen had a player plunk Lee

My point was that when the inevitable questions about the beaning came up in the press, Guillen wouldn't suddenly pretend that nothing had ever happened between Lee and Marte. He'd sidestep it to be sure, but he wouldn't make up some bulls*** about "No clue there was a problem."

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 30, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
Please don't start implying that I'm some bandwagon fan. That's bulls***.  :rolly

All I'm saying is that I don't think Guillen would gain amnesia about the story of his baseball team and forget that, for instance, Carlos Lee treated Damaso Marte like s*** and thus Marte beaned him. He wouldn't say, "I ordered it" or even condone it, but all I'm saying is that I don't think he'd pretend that nothing had ever happened like Scioscia. I wasn't aware that I'd declared Geoff Blum the best hitter in White Sox history.

Well, he is the best hitter in White Sox World Series extra inning history. ;)