Do we rely too much on homeruns again

GoRowand33

maybe the sox have enough fire power this year, but I feel like the fundamentals of the team have been drowned out a bit in favor of mammoth jim thome home runs

it looks good now, but I don't know if its a long term solution for the offense

I think podsednik and iguchi need to get back to their strategy from last year, and act as if thome doesn't exist

feel free to blast me for this, but I think I have a point

:gosox2:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, home runs are, in fact, evil. Stolen bases and sac bunts are where it's at, baby.

Thome is playing like ass this year. Can you believe the nerve of that guy -- ZERO stolen bases and only ONE sacrifice hit? WTF is that? We need more smallball.

Ultimately, pitching and defense is what will win us another title, as well as the ability to scratch and claw to wins in the playoffs. We all know this, but in the regular season, just 'get ir done' is all that matters.

Pod's and Gooch are doing the fundamentals that they were doing last year...getting on base and letting the heart of the order to knock them in. That is why we aquired Big Jim, to add some power to the heart of our lineup. If you have the power use it.

Pods - .245 BA 17 runs scored (mind you not, he started what? 2 for alot?)

Gooch - .321 BA 22 runs scored (2nd behind Thome 23) 34 hits (2nd behind Thome 37)

We are the first to 20 wins (again), we have the best record in baseball (again), we are 12 games ove .500 and about to be 15 games over. I would say we are doing just fine.

Edited by SoxRock05

alright you guys aren't seeing my point

yes the averages are good, the wins are coming in and I'm glad to see that

but its how were winning that I'm concerned with

besides last night I havn't seen many games where we scratch out a game by a single-sac bunt-single or anything like that

its all about going for the homeruns that I've seen

I think thats good as long as it works, but I don't think that provides long-term promise

In the words of the great Earl Weaver, this Sox team is built on 3 things: Pitching, defense, and 3-run homers.

Ain't a damn thing wrong with that. It is--despite all the "smallball" talk--the same strategy as last year with more 3-run homers.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 4, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)

besides last night I havn't seen many games where we scratch out a game by a single-sac bunt-single or anything like that

I think thats good as long as it works, but I don't think that provides long-term promise

Show me a game where it has come down to us needing that sac-bunt, ext. That is just how the game turned out to be last year, why? because we did not have the offensive power like we do this year. How do you know we can't execute those small ball games if we have not neede them in many games this year as we did last year? We still revolve around pitching and defense, as all teams should, but we added a bit of power in case that pitching and defense breaks down a bit. we don't need to win every game by 1 run by implicating the small ball just because that is what we did last year, last year is long gone and it is time to repeat. And if that means repeat in a different way, then so be it.

As I said, yo don't need to win every game by 1 run....

But we will win and I don't care how it is done, as no Sox fan should.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 4, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)

You do realize we hit 200 HRs last year right? Good for 5th most in baseball. The reason the Sox won was because of their 123 ERA+ which was 2 points higher than Oakland and far above everyone else.

What is wrong with blowing people out? The Sox weren't going to win as many 1 run games as last season without a large helping of luck.

KW knew that and that's why he got Jim Thome--to help the offense blow people out.

Your point seems to imply that hitting homeruns and fundamentals are mutually exclusive--they certainly are not. It's entirely possible that the Sox are good at "smallball" and hitting homeruns.

While we are getting a lot of homeruns, 37 coming into today, we are not sitting back waiting for them like past years. Back in the day of the all righty lineup, if the Sox did not homer they did not win, played terrible defense and the pitching was suspect.

kapkomet has it right, pitching and defense will eventually win it for them and they will find ways to scrap together runs, whether it be smartball, homerun ball or whatever. The good thing about this team is their versatility....offensively they can do it all. They can do whatever it takes to win. Wednesday was the best example of this, Pablo hits the game-tying homer and then in the 11th, gets the hustling double putting himself in scoring position to win.

Everytime I watch them I think of the way the Yankees played in the 90s. Good pitching, defense, not a ton of stars, and clutch hitting....that is what makes the Sox a cut above of everyone else.

alright guys there is nothing wrong with blowing people out

my worry is that jim thome and paul konerko won't stay on fire the entire year

in that case I think we have to be able scratch across a run, and if our entire team tries to be a hero when the bats aren't hot (don't pretend it will never happen) going for homeruns won't work

with an offense like this i'm completely against wasting outs on sac bunts. Last year we needed to...and this year we can do it if we need to...but we DON'T...so lets just keep bashing.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 4, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)

in that case I think we have to be able scratch across a run, and if our entire team tries to be a hero when the bats aren't hot (don't pretend it will never happen) going for homeruns won't work

You remember August and the first half of September last year? That's what happens when the Sox offense stops homering. As bad as it seemed, there was still enough pitching to come out just under .500 during that rough ass stretch with an offense a minor league team could outscore.

Add another bat to the lineup and some depth to the bench, along with more starting pitching, and you have more wins for the time that the offense goes dead.

Homeruns were a huge part of the offense last season. I think the Sox will run more, but really the only guy in the line-up who consistently will run is Pods, and despite his 4 steal game against Cleveland, he is not running at 100%. As long as they get good pitching, it really doesn't matter what the offense is based on, just as long as they score a few runs. I like this year's line-up's chances of scoring runs much better than last year's model.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 4, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)

The fact is as long as Jim Thome stays healthy his production is NOT going to tail off. His average is at .295 which is 14 points off his career average. He can and most likely will hit 45 plus HR's and his doubles are sure to increase as he averages 30 2 baggers a year.

Konerko's average will probably dip slightly but hes not playing way over his head either.

What you need to understand is that our offense with Thome in the middle is an entirely different animal than last season. Additionally, we did hit 200 HR's last year so statistically speaking we are hardly more Home Run dependant than last season. Pretty sure you are stressing out over nothing.

Just for my amusement:

Through 28 games this year - 37HRs/28 games = 1.33 Hr's p/game

2005 Season stats - 200HR/162 games = 1.24 Hr's p/game

Most telling stat - OUR RECORD IS 20-8!

Like SS2K5 said, pitching and defense are the biggest keys.

As far as the offense goes, we used that 5th best HR total AND small ball last year. And we're doing the same thing this year. We won last year, and we are winning this year. Our power hitters had slumps last year, and will have slumps this year, and its all OK. When you have great pitching, great defense, good power and good fundamentals (including small ball stuff), then its OK when one of those has an off day.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 4, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
maybe the sox have enough fire power this year, but I feel like the fundamentals of the team have been drowned out a bit in favor of mammoth jim thome home runs

it looks good now, but I don't know if its a long term solution for the offense

I think podsednik and iguchi need to get back to their strategy from last year, and act as if thome doesn't exist

feel free to blast me for this, but I think I have a point

:gosox2:

Things are good. All is well. You don't need to have something to complain about. We really are a good baseball team. I mean really...complaining about hitting too many homeruns is just silly. We're built to do either....enjoy it.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ May 4, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Ultimately, pitching and defense is what will win us another title, as well as the ability to scratch and claw to wins in the playoffs.  We all know this, but in the regular season, just 'get ir done' is all that matters.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ May 4, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
In the words of the great Earl Weaver, this Sox team is built on 3 things: Pitching, defense, and 3-run homers.

Ain't a damn thing wrong with that.  It is--despite all the "smallball" talk--the same strategy as last year with more 3-run homers.

You guys both said exactlly what I was thinking. It's all about defense, with pitching being the first line of defense as Hawk would say. We have the pitching and defense to win another title.

I think one of the reasons that we are getting "away" from the small ball right now is because the 8-9-1 hitters havent gotten into the grove yet. I know Pods is bringing his average up, but I still think he isnt 100% healthy. Once the 8-9-1 hitters get going, this team will be more dangerous then last year. They will be able to beat you with small ball and the 3 run homer, and I dont see anything wrong with that at all.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ May 5, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
You guys both said exactlly what I was thinking.  It's all about defense, with pitching being the first line of defense as Hawk would say.  We have the pitching and defense to win another title.

As Hawk would say, or as common sense would indicate? We don't need Hawk to point out the obvious for us. Pitching represents the vast majority of defense.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 5, 2006 -> 09:13 AM)
As Hawk would say, or as common sense would indicate?  We don't need Hawk to point out the obvious for us.  Pitching represents the vast majority of defense.

Yea, I know it is common sense, I think 100% of the people here know that, I was just pointing out that Hawk says that almost every game.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ May 4, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)

???????

What are you talking about man, you just saw a game where we relied on a single, a stolen base and a flare. Just two days ago!! Its not like it was the first time all season. Find something else to nitpick, because this issue isnt working for you.

Personally, I'd be happy if Pods doesn't run against another non-Cleveland catcher for the rest of the year. I feel much better about Gooch, Thome, Konerko, and Dye to be able to create a big inning once Pods gets on base, than to make Iguchi waste a couple strikes every at-bat - all for Pods 50% stealing efficiency.