Do we rely too much on homeruns again

GoRowand33

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 5, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
I agree.  There's no point in playing ultra-conservative "small-ball" during the regular season against teams like the Royals and Devil Rays.

Thats just the thing. With thome in the lineup, moving Pods over hurts our production, it doesnt help it. You can play small ball all you want, but you play whichever kind of ball helps your team most in the situation. Ozzie knows this, and that is why we have been scoring this many runs, and winning this many games. And I trust his view and the teams record alot more than one guy with one opinion.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 5, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
Thats just the thing.  With thome in the lineup, moving Pods over hurts our production, it doesnt help it.  You can play small ball all you want, but you play whichever kind of ball helps your team most in the situation.  Ozzie knows this, and that is why we have been scoring this many runs, and winning this many games.  And I trust his view and the teams record alot more than one guy with one opinion.

:cheers

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 5, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
LOL, so you probably long for the days of Thomas/Ordonez/Lee/Konerko, yeah?

You enjoy watching us get shut out by some rookie, or some dude like Joe f***ing Mays?

Not me.  I like to be in every single game.  It's called conservatism, not an all-or-nothing style of offense that you support. 

I think you're a great poster for the most part, but you gotta kick this bulls*** philosophy to the curb.

Ordonez and Lee were far from all-or-nothing offensive players. If the pitching in 2003 was as good as the pitching in 2005, the Sox would have had a great chance at a WS title then.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 5, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
Well, back to the basics:

Get that runner in scoring position with less than two outs for your 3-4-5

I don't care who you are, or how many prodigious sluggers you have.

If it works in the playoffs, you don't do something different during the regular season.  You should treat every single game as if it's a playoff game, although that will clash with the amount of rest that you need to give players during the regular season. 

It's not all-or-nothing in the regular season, and then conservatism in the playoffs.  IT IS CONSERVATISM AT ALL TIMES.

with our 3-4-5, 1st base is scoring position.

sorry I was out all day yesterday and couldn't check on this but my general feelings after reading through this are:

1. you guys have some points that I agree on such as hit homers when we need too, play small ball when we need to

2. I still think we will come across a point like august-september last year where the entire team is in a slump, and we can't just assume everything will go as well last year. the lineup to me is much much better than last year, but if we don't allow iguchi and pods to play their game, then I don't think we will be as successful because thome won't pop that three run homer every day