"significant changes" coming soon to the KC Royals

Kyyle23

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2434810

Looks like upper management is yet again going to ax a manager who was given a crappy team from the outset. It really is sad what has happened to the Royals, they used to be a very well run club, and had many loyal fans. I dont blame them for not coming though, thats for sure

QUOTE(JimH @ May 5, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
My guess is the GM will take the fall, and soon.

How long has Baird been there?

And if Baird takes the fall, then Bell will be following shortly. Usually new GMs like to install their guys.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ May 5, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
With the current economic structure, and terrible farm system the Royals have they have no chance for a least another seven years.

One component of their team which I wouldn't mind having is their bullpen. Some lively young arms the Royals have.

Unfortunately, as the cruel fate of baseball has it, starting pitching and offensive production remains slightly more important. Both areas the Royals are horrendous. And with their luck, they'll have the first draft pick during a year in which no superstarts emerge. Always seems to miss the Prior's, Upton's, Mauer's, etc.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 5, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
One component of their team which I wouldn't mind having is their bullpen. Some lively young arms the Royals have.

Unfortunately, as the cruel fate of baseball has it, starting pitching and offensive production remains slightly more important. Both areas the Royals are horrendous. And with their luck, they'll have the first draft pick during a year in which no superstarts emerge. Always seems to miss the Prior's, Upton's, Mauer's, etc.

Alex Gordon is pretty damn good. He was far and away the best college hitter available last draft

IF you look at positives, they have one maybe two useful players on their lineup (Dejesus for sure and then maybe you can salvage Buck or Berroa). Grudz and Sanders are good players that you can trade for B prospects in July. Same with Matt Stairs for someone needing bench help. As for pitching, there isn't much there obviously. The Pen has Sisco who seems really good, Burgos the same, and then you have guys like Runelvyis(sp?), Affeldt, and Macdougal who are all worth keeping around to see if they have anything. Greinke should be able to come back and be good in my opinion. The farm system has Gordon, Huber, Butler, and maybe-maybe Lubanski. I think that they have to start with dropping Baird and bringing in a creative gm. I think guys like Depodesta are overrated on a lot of teams but this is a situation where a guy like that might not be a bad get. You bring in a competent manager(they had one in Pena but it wore on him). They have to be willing to spend $50 million and they have to take Miller in the draft if he is their number one, not just the most signable guy.