Popularity of WSox other than in Chicago

NYSox35

Hey guys,

I'm in NYC and am curious how the popularity of the White Sox is in other areas. Here, I'd say the White Sox rank #3 or #4 in terms of popularity of people wearing our Hats, Jerseys, etc.

Part of this is just that people like our logo/colors, part of it is that our gear was popularized back in the 90's hip hop culture, and part of it is bandwagoners "front-running", but I brought this up b/c I see so many more people wearing White Sox stuff out here than I did a year ago.

Out in NYC, I'd say it's:

1. Yankees

2. Mets

3. Boston (lots of Boston ppl wind up here)

4. White Sox (though we are a close 4 behind Boston these days).

What do you guys see in your areas?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I had no idea that Sox gear was even remotely popular in NYC. I would've thought that the Cubs and Cardinals had us beat by a mile. But you're right about the fashion value, though. Fewer teams have more stylish gear than the Sox.

Out here, it's mostly Mariners apparel with the Giants, Dodgers, and (ironically enough) Padres coming in a distant 2-4.

I was in Seattle last week and attended all three games of the White Sox-Mariners series and was pleasantly surprised at how many Sox fans I saw. I don't know if that's normal or if that was bandwagon jumpers following the World Series, but either way, it was nice to see.

QUOTE(UC76 @ May 8, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
I was in Seattle last week and attended all three games of the White Sox-Mariners series and was pleasantly surprised at how many Sox fans I saw. I don't know if that's normal or if that was bandwagon jumpers following the World Series, but either way, it was nice to see.

I see NY and Boston transplants everywhere, so it wouldn't surprise me there were a lot of Chicago transplants in Seattle. People tend to not want to leave Washington and Oregon after they move there.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 8, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
Really?  I had no idea that Sox gear was even remotely popular in NYC.  I would've thought that the Cubs and Cardinals had us beat by a mile.  But you're right about the fashion value, though.  Fewer teams have more stylish gear than the Sox.

Out here, it's mostly Mariners apparel with the Giants, Dodgers, and (ironically enough) Padres coming in a distant 2-4.

Yeah WC, you see some cubs and cardinals, but the WSox have them easily beat this year out in NY.

Padres...wow...I didn't know people in SD even wore their stuff. :D

In DC, it's easily:

(1) Nationals

(2) Orioles

(3) Yankees

(4) Red Sox

(5) Mets

(6) Phillies

(7) Cubs

(8) Everyone else

I used to NEVER see any Sox hats around DC, except when the Sox were playing at Camden Yards. That was until the 2005 playoffs. Now you see a bunch of Sox hats. I remember the first time, I saw a lady in Giant wearing a Sox hat during the Boston series and I pointed out my own Sox hat.

I'm the only Sox fan I know in DC (other than the people I know through the Sox e-mail list).

I see a few people down in Australia wearing some Sox stuff, mostly because it looks good and it's one of the better logo's around. I'm sure if you asked tem who Mark Buehrle was though, they wouldn't have a clue. :bang

The Phoenix area is such a mishmash of mutts anyway...you probably see as much Cubs, Dodgers and Yankee stuff as DBacks...but this past year I've seen so much Sox gear down here it's not even funny.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I used to NEVER see any Sox hats around DC, except when the Sox were playing at Camden Yards.

When I was there for a Sox game last year, I noticed a bunch of Yankee fans around the city, but not so many Sox fans. I had a count going for awhile as I was sitting outside of the ESPN Zone, and I think I saw like, 10 other Sox fans. I guess when I go there this year, I'll see more :)

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
In DC, it's easily:

(1)  Nationals

(2)  Orioles

(3)  Yankees

(4)  Red Sox

(5)  Mets

(6)  Phillies

(7)  Cubs

(8)  Everyone else

I used to NEVER see any Sox hats around DC, except when the Sox were playing at Camden Yards.  That was until the 2005 playoffs.  Now you see a bunch of Sox hats.  I remember the first time, I saw a lady in Giant wearing a Sox hat during the Boston series and I pointed out my own Sox hat.

I'm the only Sox fan I know in DC (other than the people I know through the Sox e-mail list).

I'm a Sox fan out in DC at Georgetown University and I've been pleasantly surprised myself. However, my friends out here still know me as THE Sox fan because there aren't too many of us. As far as DC locals, I'd agree that Nats-O's are 1-2. I'd say the Red Sox easily take the 3-spot in a landslide. Maybe my reality is slanted by the fact that I live in an area with lots of college students from all over the country, but I've never seen so many Red Sox fans outside of New England as I do here in DC. After that, I think I'd go Yanks in the 4-spot with the Mets, Phillies, and Cubs in any particular order. There are a lot of Chicago transplants out here, so I'd put the Cubs as high as fifth.

As far as White Sox fans go, there's me, BlackBetsy, some kid I saw in the library wearing a Buerhle jersey, our starting point guard who I saw wearing a Sox hat one day (I saw him wearing an Angels hat the next day), and...um...Obama maybe?

QUOTE(Texsox @ May 8, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Astros

Rangers

And where ever the winter Texans are from. lots of central division teams. Cub fans out number Sox fans 20 or 30 to 1

im from nashville and i dont often see sox stuff, when i do see it i think its more for the hip hop look then actual fans..

How popular are the white sox in other cities? I see a lot of white sox stuff in the cities I frequent... Libertyville, lake bluff, palos park. White sox hats appear to be very big in orland park too..

Technically those are other cities...

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
How popular are the white sox in other cities?  I see a lot of white sox stuff in the cities I frequent... Libertyville, lake bluff, palos park.  White sox hats appear to be very big in orland park too..

Technically those are other cities...

:P

to me those are towns...I was going for cities (e.g. NYC, LA, SF, Seattle, Houston) or other states (e.g. IA, WI, MS, MA, etc.)

Orland Park isn't very shocking...although I hear there is a big Cub presence out that way, which is annoying.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
No ones even heard of the White sox over here. I'm forever been told that I've got it wrong and that the White Sox come from Boston! :britishflag:

LOL That's pretty funny. I would probably make a similar mistake with their soccer(football) teams.

QUOTE(daa84 @ May 8, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
im from nashville and i dont often see sox stuff, when i do see it i think its more for the hip hop look then actual fans..

Also from Nashville and this is not really a sports town and for certain not baseball. Only baseball team that you really see represented locally is the Braves. If you are downtown, you will get the tourists wearing the teams from where they are came. Unless of course they are wearing the cheap cowboy hats they sell along 2nd and Lower Broadway.

Only time when I see a Sox fan is when I meet someone from Chicago down here on vacation. If someone comes up to you to talk about the Sox while you have something from the team on, it will probably be me.

There is one other caller along with myself who call Nashville Sports Radio 560 to talk up the Sox and defend the team in case any Indian or Yankee fans gets through to bad mouth the Sox. Mostly though, baseball is a non-topic down here.

:gosox1:

Out here in Boulder Colorado I acctually see more White Sox and Cubs hats then Rockies gear. Totally understandable though.... a lot of students here are from Chicago...... I did see a rise in White Sox apparel after the WS though....

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 8, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Before 2005, I saw 1 White Sox hat that I remember, other than mine.

I have seen atleast 10 since then.

That's like half the people in North Dakota.

Probably one hat that they pass around.