Sammy, Sammmy part II

BrandoFan

The only thing that made this more enjoyable was that I was eating dinner with my family (all Cub fans) while listening to WGN.

Motherf***in' Priceless! :headbang

That woulda been cool. I had to explain what a corked bat was to my brother, whos a Cubs fan. Im still not sure he understands how much trouble Sammys in...

Not nearly as much trouble as he will be when people realize that his 98-2001 stats were a steroid-related abberation.

I can easily see Sammy put up Greg Vaugh-tpe numbers in the next 3-4 years.

Which brings me to this: how monumentally stupid and how big Sammy's vanity must be when you consider the fact that he unlike marginal sluggres like Bret Boone and Mark Belhorn (2002), he didn't really need all that cork since most of his homers exceed 400 feet easily. So because of extra 5-6 homers a year he is ready to jeopardize his career reputation.

I knew immediately after umpire picked it up that it was corked. The scared little mouth look Sammy had in the dugout said it all.

Guest hotsoxchick1

yeah samme uhh i mean corky, didnt even run out to argue or anything just tucked his tail between his legs and walked into the clubhouse........lmao... go corky....... :D :D :D

Other Cubs who corked :headbang I love piling :headbang

Colorful Cardenal, a cousin of longtime shortstop Bert Campaneris, played for nine teams in 18 major-league seasons. The Cuban immigrant couldn't crack San Francisco's outfield and was traded to California following the 1964 season. He finished second in the AL in steals (37), showed good range and a strong arm in center field, but also developed a reputation as a moody player.

After two subpar seasons, Cardenal was shipped to Cleveland. He led the Indians in steals twice and tied a big-league record for outfielders by making two unassisted double plays in 1968. Traded to the Cardinals in 1970, he hit .293 with 74 RBI. In a 1971 season split between St. Louis and Milwaukee, he drove in a career-high 80 RBI.

Finally reaching the Cubs in 1972, Cardenal stayed for six seasons. As the Cubs' right fielder in 1973, he led the team in hitting (.303), doubles (33), and steals (19). He was named Chicago Player of the Year by the Chicago baseball writers. In 1978-80, he played for the Phillies, Mets, and Royals, ending his major-league career batting .340 down the stretch for Kansas City and starting two games in right field during the 1980 World Series. Cardenal retired after the season and later became a major-league coach with the Reds, Cardinals, Yankees and Devil Rays after retirement.

In 2001, Cardenal was accused of using a corked bat by Pete Rose, his teammate on the 1979 Phillies and himself the subject of innuendo. "I did have a corked bat one time," Rose told ESPN's Jayson Stark. "You know who corked them? Jose Cardenal. I never used it in a game. But we'd come in the clubhouse in Philly, and Jose Cardenal would be corking bats. You'd hear the drill going -- zizzzzzzzzzzz. But I never used none of them bats in a game." (ME/JGR)

Some random old lady (wearing a Cub hat) that was interviewed on WGN put it best (I laughed quite hard at this one): "Well, I guess now that he can't use his 'roids anymore, he's gotta use something"

I just found it funny coming from an 80-year-old lady.