Interesting Google data

BigSqwert

Sox vs Cubs search trends

A friend sent me the link above. Has a breakdown of searches on google for the Sox and Cubs. There's an obvious spike during 4th quarter of 2005 for the Sox but surprisingly the Cubs still get more searches in 2006. Also shows search breakdown by cities (Chicago and Naperville highest Sox searches), regions, and languages.

I predict the gap to close by the end of this year as the Sox conitnue to kick ass while the Cubs struggle to stay in 4th place.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 11, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)

A friend sent me the link above. Has a breakdown of searches on google for the Sox and Cubs. There's an obvious spike during 4th quarter of 2005 for the Sox but surprisingly the Cubs still get more searches in 2006. Also shows search breakdown by cities (Chicago and Naperville highest Sox searches), regions, and languages.

I predict the gap to close by the end of this year as the Sox conitnue to kick ass while the Cubs struggle to stay in 4th place.

I'd love to see it happen, but I just cant believe it will. This is a Cubs town, always has been, always will be. Even after the World Series championship, it doesn't seem to do much.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 12, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I'd love to see it happen, but I just cant believe it will. This is a Cubs town, always has been, always will be. Even after the World Series championship, it doesn't seem to do much.

Incorrect, Chicago has not always been a Cubs town.

The Sox were the more popular team until three things dramatically increased the Cubs fanbase: Harry Carey, his hyping of beautiful Wrigley Field, and WGN.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 11, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)

Very interesting thread. Caracas, Venezuela is one of the top cities to search for the White Sox, and the reason is because of Magglio Ordonez, who hails from that town.

QUOTE(shoota @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Very interesting thread. Caracas, Venezuela is one of the top cities to search for the White Sox, and the reason is because of Magglio Ordonez, who hails from that town.

What about Ozzie and Freddy? Aren't they from Venezuela too?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 13, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
What about Ozzie and Freddy? Aren't they from Venezuela too?

Great point, I think you're right. I'm sure their roots had influence on the google searches of Caracas residents as well.

QUOTE(shoota @ May 13, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
Incorrect, Chicago has not always been a Cubs town.

The Sox were the more popular team until three things dramatically increased the Cubs fanbase: Harry Carey, his hyping of beautiful Wrigley Field, and WGN.

I didn't start following baseball until the early 80's, but it's my understanding that the Sox didn't exactly dominate the Cubs in terms of popularity before the Caray/WGN days. I'm sure that the Sox were significantly more popular at times (e.g., the pre-Black Sox, Go-Go Sox, South Side Hitmen, and Winnin' Ugly periods), but I never had the impression that Chicago was a "Sox town" before the mid-80's.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 13, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
I didn't start following baseball until the early 80's, but it's my understanding that the Sox didn't exactly dominate the Cubs in terms of popularity before the Caray/WGN days. I'm sure that the Sox were significantly more popular at times (e.g., the pre-Black Sox, Go-Go Sox, South Side Hitmen, and Winnin' Ugly periods), but I never had the impression that Chicago was a "Sox town" before the mid-80's.

I didn't live through it, so I'm not the best source to say, but I can accurately refute that Chicago has "always been a Cubs town" as TitoMB345 stated.

Edited by shoota