Crash Breaks Nose

The Critic

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rowand has successful surgery on his nose.

As Aaron Rowand lay in a hospital bed with his surgically repaired nose, players at Great American Ball Park were still discussing the game-saving catch that put him there.

Rowand underwent surgery Friday morning to repair the broken nose he suffered while making a spectacular catch the night before, and he was placed on the 15-day disabled list. He's expected to be out about 15-20 days.

His face-first slam into a metal strip along the top of the center-field wall helped lift the Phillies over the Mets, as it came with the bases loaded and two outs in the first inning of a 2-0 victory.

Rowand had the surgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. He also suffered non-displaced fractures around his left eye and received 15 stitches for lacerations to his face.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 12, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
I like the way you think there.

Just trying to make sense of it all. But in all reality, doesn't make sense comparing.

BA: Healthy

AR: Injured

BA: Sox

AR: Phillies

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 13, 2006 -> 03:50 AM)
Just a question here.

Before this season, and be honest here, who thought Rowand was going to get back to his 2004 hitting and not what he did last season?

Not me. Theoretically, if you were to give him a steady diet of low-and-away breaking balls, he woule be toast.

But I don't watch Phillies games on a regular basis, so maybe he learned how to hit a breaking ball this offseason.

I think what we've got here is one guy (Rowand) who makes difficult plays look difficult due to his grit and determinanation, and another (Anderson) who make diffulcult plays look easy. I'm not dissing Rowand here because he always gave everything he had. I just think Anderson is over all a superior CF and a lot smoother.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 12, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Just a question here.

Before this season, and be honest here, who thought Rowand was going to get back to his 2004 hitting and not what he did last season?

I'm a Rowand fan, so yea, I expected his numbers to go back up (although not as good as they were in 2004).

If Anderson can hit .260 for the season, with about 15 HR, 50 RBI, and solid CF defensive play, then we're okay as a team. He's struggling right now at the plate, but we have such a good team overall that we can live with it. It's not like we're depending on him to be a "key component" that takes us where we want to go.

As for Juan Uribe, well, he's solid defensively, but his subpar average is starting to piss me off. Last year, he found some "hitch" in his swing, and his last 6 weeks were incredible at the plate. Hey Juan, you'd better find that "hitch" sometime soon, or I'd rather suffer with Alex Cintron playing while you rot on the bench. Wake up, jackass.

:unsure:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 12, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
Just a question here.

Ha, go back into any thread that discussed Rowand over the offseason and you'll see that I fully expected Rowand to hit a lot more like '04 than '05 this year.

Personally I'd still take Rowand over BA. But who's to say in 3 or 4 years or so. I think ARow's numbers will come down once the pitchers learn him like they did in the AL with a steady diet of low and away. If you get a steady .275 from ARow...I don't think you could ask for more than that. Maybe readdress the subject at this time next year and it could be a different story. ARow didn't exactly tear it up when he first came up either.

And SoxFan101...yes...it was a J.O.K.E.

http://www.tigersweat.com/movies/animal/house11.wav

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 12, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
Not me. Theoretically, if you were to give him a steady diet of low-and-away breaking balls, he woule be toast.

But I don't watch Phillies games on a regular basis, so maybe he learned how to hit a breaking ball this offseason.

Yes and there is a good reason why Aaron has done much better this year. The majority of Aaron's ab's have been from the 2 hole and with murderers row behind him he's been seeing much more fastballs then when he was batting 6th or 7th for us last year.

Have I missed something here? Are we in last place and wondering why we traded away a 10-time batting title champ and gold glover? He was an OK player that played with a lot of grit but get over it. He's gone. Our team is way better after the trade we made with him.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 14, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
Have I missed something here? Are we in last place and wondering why we traded away a 10-time batting title champ and gold glover? He was an OK player that played with a lot of grit but get over it. He's gone. Our team is way better after the trade we made with him.

There is nothing wrong with appreciating Aaron Rowand as a Phillie...Philly...whatever. You seem to be confusing "Man I miss Rowand, he was a gritty player for the Sox" with "Man I wish we never traded Aaron Rowand to the Phillies for Jim Thome, we would be so much better with him on the team."

And calling him OK and mediocre and average is selling him short tremendously. The guy had his shortcomings at the plate last year, but he is having a great year at the plate thus far, and he wasnt too shabby in 04 either. What if 2005 was the abberation? We dont know that it isnt. And the guy always brings his glove and hustle, which makes him better than average anyways.

There isnt anything wrong with admiring an ex-player from afar. This looks like a deal where everyone ends up happy.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 14, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
There isnt anything wrong with admiring an ex-player from afar. This looks like a deal where everyone ends up happy.

I'll give you that he may be better than average but I remember a guy who was a no-show in the post season, making all kinds of baserunning blunders. Guess I'm puzzled by the 20 threads that have been started for him.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 14, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
I'll give you that he may be better than average but I remember a guy who was a no-show in the post season, making all kinds of baserunning blunders. Guess I'm puzzled by the 20 threads that have been started for him.

Aaron Rowand hit .267 in the playoffs/WS last year(12/45), 18 total bases, 8 runs, 6 doubles, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 4 walks, 1 stolen base, and 9 Ks

Paul Konerko hit .265 in the playoffs/WS last year(12/49), 30 total bases, 6 runs, 2 doubles, 5 HR, 15 RBI, 3 walks, 8 Ks

Those numbers are pretty close. Would you say that Pauly didnt show up last postseason?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/battin...05&seasonType=3

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
Aaron Rowand hit .267 in the playoffs/WS last year(12/45), 18 total bases, 8 runs, 6 doubles, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 4 walks, 1 stolen base, and 9 Ks

Paul Konerko hit .265 in the playoffs/WS last year(12/49), 30 total bases, 6 runs, 2 doubles, 5 HR, 15 RBI, 3 walks, 8 Ks

Those numbers are pretty close. Would you say that Pauly didnt show up last postseason?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/battin...05&seasonType=3

The main difference is the 30 total bases, 5 HR and 15 RBI :P

QUOTE(Felix @ May 14, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)
The main difference is the 30 total bases, 5 HR and 15 RBI :P

Yeah, you could say that. But their numbers arent that far off, and to say he didnt show up isnt right. PK is the power hitter in the cleanup spot, his numbers are supposed to be like that. Arow was the number 7 hitter, and his numbers really arent that far off. Im not trying to say PK had a bad postseason, because he didnt by any stretch. Just like saying Arow didnt show up is wrong. The guy had a really bad braincramp on the bases, and it was shown multiple times. But how many other baserunning blunders did he have? I cant remember that many.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
Yeah, you could say that. But their numbers arent that far off, and to say he didnt show up isnt right. PK is the power hitter in the cleanup spot, his numbers are supposed to be like that. Arow was the number 7 hitter, and his numbers really arent that far off. Im not trying to say PK had a bad postseason, because he didnt by any stretch. Just like saying Arow didnt show up is wrong. The guy had a really bad braincramp on the bases, and it was shown multiple times. But how many other baserunning blunders did he have? I cant remember that many.

I agree with you, but he wasn't at his best in the postseason. He did have 2 blunders on the paths IIRC (I can't remember if he was waved by Cora home for that one play, if so, I only remember one other).

QUOTE(Felix @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
I agree with you, but he wasn't at his best in the postseason. He did have 2 blunders on the paths IIRC (I can't remember if he was waved by Cora home for that one play, if so, I only remember one other).

No, im not going to say he was at his best. I just dont understand why some people feel it is irritating to give him props now since he is on the Phillies. He is playing damn good baseball right now, and there isnt anything wrong with talking about it. Even if it is 5 threads going on 10.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ May 14, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)

Defend his post season play all you want but I honestly cannot remember 1 play he made in the entire postseason that was memorable. Oh wait scratch that...he did have a cool look of disbelief on Pods' walkoff.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Defend his post season play all you want but I honestly cannot remember 1 play he made in the entire postseason that was memorable. Oh wait scratch that...he did have a cool look of disbelief on Pods' walkoff.

Alright, keep hating on him. thats fine.

"I honestly cant remember...." works way better than actual statistics, right? /green

Edited by kyyle23