The DaVinci Code

SoxFan1

Ok, I'm pretty sure there was a thread about the book before but I can't find it. So, anyways, I just got back into the book and am regretting putting it down in the 1st place. Right now, I'm at the part where Silas the Albino is about to go into the church in Paris to look for the keystone.

My first impressions of the book were that of astonishment. It is rich in historical content and it truly paints a picture to the reader. No pun intended.

Anyone else reading it at the moment?

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:15 AM)
I hate to be lazy about this, but I'm probably going to watch the movie before I start reading the book. It's too like to get it done in time for me anyways. Plus I really want to see the movie.

honestly, imo, if you see the movie and its good, don't read the book. Dan Brown is a terrible writer.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
I think it is funny that churches are so scared for people to see this movie. Some countries are banning the movie all together.

I heard someone this morning saying that the reason churches are so mad is that Dan Brown portrays the book as facts and history but there is no real proof.

To that I say what is the proof that any thing in the bible is true.

The counter-books of the DaVinci codes don't just continuously reference the Bible. You should really take the time to watch the various specials they have on the historical analysis of the book and you'll find the faults. But then again you probably don't believe anything you see on tv either. :bang

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 14, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
Ok, I'm pretty sure there was a thread about the book before but I can't find it. So, anyways, I just got back into the book and am regretting putting it down in the 1st place. Right now, I'm at the part where Silas the Albino is about to go into the church in Paris to look for the keystone.

My first impressions of the book were that of astonishment. It is rich in historical content and it truly paints a picture to the reader. No pun intended.

Anyone else reading it at the moment?

I am re-reading it now before the book comes out. Its funny to read your posts, because the first time I read it, I could not put it down either.

To be honest, there is so much history built into the book that I don't know how they can replicate it in the movie. I'm looking forward to it though. The book is easily among the best I've read

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
Do yourselves a favor and watch the History Channel special on Decoding the Davinci Code and read the books of the authors they interview. Guys like Richard Leigh who wrote Holy Blood, Holy Grail are way better books than this.

Both Angels and Demons and Holy Blood Holy Grail are better books than DVC. Another good one if you're into the whole knights Templar thing is The Second Messiah. Kinda drags during the chapters where the authors go into the history of the freemasons, but overall pretty interesting stuff.

Basically, I just really wanted to read the book before the movie came out. I had it laying around and finally decided to read it. I choice I do not regret.

Now, I am not going to let this book completely change my orthodox following but it is pretty damn interesting. And as I type this and look at the picture of the Last Supper we have hanging above the computer, it is quite astounding to put some of the things you read to the test in real life.

As much as people knock it, I still think that this is one of the greatest books I have ever read. One of the only books I ever read where I was actually almost right there with the characters. All the coded thy had to decipher, I tried to do so myself.

You have to admit, the book is amazingly clever and brilliantly written. I am a HUGE fan.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ May 15, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
I am re-reading it now before the book comes out. Its funny to read your posts, because the first time I read it, I could not put it down either.

To be honest, there is so much history built into the book that I don't know how they can replicate it in the movie. I'm looking forward to it though. The book is easily among the best I've read

I was the same way when I read it, but that was before I saw all the History Channel stuff that exposed the book for the nonsense that it is. Nevertheless, it's a good read. And Angels and Demons was very good too.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ May 15, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
Basically, I just really wanted to read the book before the movie came out. I had it laying around and finally decided to read it. I choice I do not regret.

Now, I am not going to let this book completely change my orthodox following but it is pretty damn interesting. And as I type this and look at the picture of the Last Supper we have hanging above the computer, it is quite astounding to put some of the things you read to the test in real life.

As much as people knock it, I still think that this is one of the greatest books I have ever read. One of the only books I ever read where I was actually almost right there with the characters. All the coded thy had to decipher, I tried to do so myself.

You have to admit, the book is amazingly clever and brilliantly written. I am a HUGE fan.

You might think it is good, and it could very well be an excellent work of fiction. Dan Brown at best borrow liberally from some extremely smart, well-reader, and well-researched authors. If you think DVC blew your mind, give some of these other people a try and you won't regret it.

I havent read the book, I have spent numerous hours watching/researching Merovingian Dynasty etc, and it is all interesting stuff.

Basically the work is fiction. From all accounts the older history Dan Brown talks about in his book is more compelling then the newer stuff. IE Roslin Cathedral is not on the Rose line as he claims, and the tomb of the "Knight Templar" was moved there from another location.

But in the end, the movie should be as entertaining as "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" another movie about the quest for the holy grail that involves solving ancient riddles and puzzles. And quite remarkably in the end, who has the cup, none other than a knight, who very well been a representation of a Templar Knight as from what I remember he had the classic white mantle with red cross, the Templar's symbol.

Edited by Soxbadger

I am pretty proud of myself. Read the entire book in 3 days, actually about 12 hours total. Can't wait for the movie. Not only for Tom Hank's role as Robert Langdon but also how they portray the story and whether they actually use the monuments and places in the story.