Perspective

rangercal

What a great game for any baseball fan.

Just wanted to

congratulate Buehrle on hanging in there and Ozzie with sticking with him . Marks first win since 4/21

Here is a insert from espn (as most of you already probably heard)

Mark Buehrle earned the win vs. the Twins Sunday night after allowing 7 runs in the first inning. He is only the 2nd pitcher since 1900 to earn the win after allowing 7 runs in the first inning. Jack Powell is the other pitcher. Powell's game occurred on Sept. 29, 1900. Powell started for the Cardinals at Chicago and allowed 7 runs in the first. He went the distance (9 IP) as the Cardinals won 10-7.

Congrats to JD with his 200th career hr. Along with the triple play and the pink bats, this is one that will be forever stored in the memory bank. :gosox2:

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:07 AM)
HAS to be in the top 10 for most underrated. Dye never gets talked about, even by most Sox fans, and he has done huge things for this club.

That has to be the 100th time Ive seen him called underated..... which in all honesty gets rid of the underated tag. I remember when everyone was calling Beltran underated b4 going into his f/a year with the Royals....

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 14, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
HAS to be in the top 10 for most underrated. Dye never gets talked about, even by most Sox fans, and he has done huge things for this club.

Other than the 31 homers last year, 6 for 14 and World Series MVP, and another very good start this year (which should continue).....along with solid defense, what has he ever done for us?

:cheers :cheers

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ May 14, 2006 -> 11:09 PM)
What a night, the pink bats, Uribe's great play with part of the bat flying at him , and Uribe going 3 for 4. A crazy game, but a great one. Instant classic in my book for the Sox.

Good call. Forgot about that one.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:09 AM)
Other than the 31 homers last year, 6 for 14 and World Series MVP, and another very good start this year (which should continue).....along with solid defense, what has he ever done for us?

:cheers :cheers

What does that have anything with the underated tag?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 14, 2006 -> 09:07 PM)

Right now he's having about as good of a season as any RFer in baseball. If he stays healthy I figure it will continue too. I love how when he's on how he hits missile line drives to all parts of the field.

When he unloads it usually gets out of here in a hurry. He's one of my favorite players in baseball when you combine his offensive ability, attitude and all around defensive skills (plus arm, plus fielder and he used to have plus range).

I also want to note one of my theories is looking more and more true. I've been hammering for a while for Ozzie to give Jenks a couple days to rest his arm (Jenks has been used an awful lot and the past couple outings are the reason his ERA has went up).

Last year the same thing happened to Jenks and after some rest he came back and looked dynomite. Tonight he comes in and he's throwing gas and snapped off some of those nasty curves that made him famous last year (especially when he first came up).

The hook he threw to end the game was AWESOME. Hopefully Ozzie will take note of this and ocassionally give Jenks 3 consecutive days rest from time to time (1 being an off-day and for 2 games use someone like Cotts or Politte to close; hell letting Cotts/Politte close gives them a bit of experience in case we need a backup option due to injury).

Cotts and Pollitte are good setup men, but they're just having their "normal" years right now. Last year, they had career years.

That doesn't mean that they can't have BETTER years than they did, but you have to remember that things always find a way to reach their normal level. For NOW, they're doing what their history says they'll do. I hope both of them pick it up and start performing like they did in that magical year of 2005.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 14, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
What does that have anything with the underated tag?

Nothing at all. :)

Strange game

Ahh YASNY, brilliant comments like that are why your one of the top dogs and moderators around here. :)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 15, 2006 -> 05:07 AM)
Strange game.

I will add on to that. The ESPN announcers, when talking about Thome's mom, flat out said "she died." Usually when someone is talking about that on national TV, they will say she passed, or she left us. Nope, "Thome's mom died last season. And the next pitch is a strike outside."

I thought this was a great game simply for the comeback and that Ozzie had faith in Buehrle enough to not yank him after that first inning.

Man was that ugly. But also for Buehrle to come back and COMPLETELY regain his composure and shut them out the rest of the game. Talk about rock-solid, man of steel. He said in the paper this morning that others on the team told him he was tipping his pitches and once he fixed that, he shut them out.

And then, to get the triple play! The pickoff! Uribe's bat-dodging catch! Thome! A.J.! Jenks!

Great game. And I loved that we stuck it to Minnesota--on ESPN no less. Last year all the talk was how we were fortified by all our one-run wins--we could deal with pressure. This year, if you can come back in a game like this, that's gotta have a similar effect.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 14, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
I also want to note one of my theories is looking more and more true. I've been hammering for a while for Ozzie to give Jenks a couple days to rest his arm (Jenks has been used an awful lot and the past couple outings are the reason his ERA has went up).

Last year the same thing happened to Jenks and after some rest he came back and looked dynomite. Tonight he comes in and he's throwing gas and snapped off some of those nasty curves that made him famous last year (especially when he first came up).

Anyone else also notice that Bobby was topping out at 99 on the gun?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
Anyone else also notice that Bobby was topping out at 99 on the gun?

Couldn't help but notice. Everyone's been crying about his loss of velocity so much around here that when I got the chance to watch him, I had to check it out. 99 isn't 102, but it'll do.

Plus, it kept us in first place, ended a 3-game losing streak, and gave us a chance to split the series. If we go off on a new tear, you might look back at this game as pivotal. We hung in there and rallied, unlike the night before when a couple of blown calls by the umps caused us to unravel.

As for Dye, it is hard to believe a guy with his talent is only on his 200th HR. It has to be the injury factor from past years. When he stays healthy and on the field, he is a great right fielder. Frankly, he ought to be considered for the All-Star game. Kenny sure knew what he was doing letting Maggs go and replacing him with Dye. The guy's a total bargain.

QUOTE(VAfan @ May 15, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
Plus, it kept us in first place, ended a 3-game losing streak, and gave us a chance to split the series. If we go off on a new tear, you might look back at this game as pivotal. We hung in there and rallied, unlike the night before when a couple of blown calls by the umps caused us to unravel.

As for Dye, it is hard to believe a guy with his talent is only on his 200th HR. It has to be the injury factor from past years. When he stays healthy and on the field, he is a great right fielder. Frankly, he ought to be considered for the All-Star game. Kenny sure knew what he was doing letting Maggs go and replacing him with Dye. The guy's a total bargain.

Agreed. Maggs may produce more, and that is debatable. But, dollar for dollar, it's all Jermaine. Hands down.