What are the Odds?

tonyho7476

Not sure if this has been discussed, but if Anderson's bat continues to stay under .200, and the Twins are willing to deal, I would love to see Hunter roaming our outfield. Obviously his glove is unreal...but he is also a pretty decent hitter, and we know he knows how to run over a cather. Ouch!

Should we pursue him and what do you think he would cost us?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, why would you trade a pissload for Hunter? The deal would probably include Anderson and hunter is due a $12M bonus next year, that money can be better spent elsewhere instead of moderately improving a position that does not need to be addressed. Hunter is an incredibly average hitter who plays superb defense, that is not worth $12M and some great talent IMO.

Also, Hunter will not be traded in the division so it's the point is moot anyway.

I should probably save the following words, for the several thousand times this appears in the future, but here goes:

BA's developing a lot at the plate lately; he's improving a lot. He's starting to look a lot more comfortable at the plate, while still playing a fantastic CF. We're not going to trade for Torii.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Not sure if this has been discussed, but if Anderson's bat continues to stay under .200, and the Twins are willing to deal, I would love to see Hunter roaming our outfield. Obviously his glove is unreal...but he is also a pretty decent hitter, and we know he knows how to run over a cather. Ouch!

Slim to none. They won't deal with us and I don't see us picking up a CFer. I think the odds would be greater we went hard after Rowand and as long as Philly plays well I don't see them giving him up.

I have full faith in BA though.

QUOTE(G&T @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
The Yankees will be desperate to get him and will probably pay most of his salary. Maybe I'm over-generalizing the Yankees approach to trades but I doubt I'm too far off.

So, they get him and move DAmon to left, or something along those lines? I guess I could see that.

As for us getting Hunter, I was thinking more for this year, and not long term. I still like BA, just want to see that average get up there and to see him continue more rallies. Maybe by the end of this year, my concerns will be gone. I hope so.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
So, they get him and move DAmon to left, or something along those lines? I guess I could see that.

As for us getting Hunter, I was thinking more for this year, and not long term. I still like BA, just want to see that average get up there and to see him continue more rallies. Maybe by the end of this year, my concerns will be gone. I hope so.

Well, if you truely like BA then you really shouldn't have any interest in Hunter seeing how he would more than likely be the centerpiece of any possible deal IMO.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)

If the Sox got him it would only be for a year, most likely, but it would cost a lot of minor league talent, plus teams have to over-pay to trade in the same division.

Plus, the Yankees have only given minor creedence to actually having positions for guys to play. Get talent and put them somewhere. Though Hunter would be very good in center for them.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
There was Rowand thread that turned into this topic a few days ago. This is what I said in that thread.

There are some many things wrong with Torri Hunter coming to the Sox.

1.He plays for the Twins. There is strike #1, and why everything else is moot, but I'll go on just for the sake of being bored in class.

If we were to nab Hunter, it would be at the cost of getting rid of whats left of a semi weak system as it is(I would think Fields and another pitcher would be involved, maybe just to start the deal out) Im not sure I want those players coming back to haunt me in 09.

2. Torri is very overrated with the strick. While he will outproduce Anderson at the plate, I really dont think there is that big of a drop off when it comes to D. Torii has a few steps on Anderson, but not enough for it to be a concern.

3. If the Twins keep playing like they are, Torii is going to be on the radar screens of ALOT of teams, and I dont think Kenny needs to get into a bidding war for something he doesnt need.

I like Torii Hunter ALOT, and would enjoy seeing him on the Sox, but with the makeup of the team right now, it's just not a fit.

I agree his O is over rated, we see him kill the Sox, but I'd be surprised if he is a .270 career hitter.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
I agree his O is over rated, we see him kill the Sox, but I'd be surprised if he is a .270 career hitter.

.267 to be exact, with a very pedestrian .321 OBP.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/h/hunteto01.shtml

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 15, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
There was Rowand thread that turned into this topic a few days ago. This is what I said in that thread.

There are some many things wrong with Torri Hunter coming to the Sox.

1.He plays for the Twins. There is strike #1, and why everything else is moot, but I'll go on just for the sake of being bored in class.

If we were to nab Hunter, it would be at the cost of getting rid of whats left of a semi weak system as it is(I would think Fields and another pitcher would be involved, maybe just to start the deal out) Im not sure I want those players coming back to haunt me in 09.

2. Torri is very overrated with the strick. While he will outproduce Anderson at the plate, I really dont think there is that big of a drop off when it comes to D. Torii has a few steps on Anderson, but not enough for it to be a concern.

3. If the Twins keep playing like they are, Torii is going to be on the radar screens of ALOT of teams, and I dont think Kenny needs to get into a bidding war for something he doesnt need.

I like Torii Hunter ALOT, and would enjoy seeing him on the Sox, but with the makeup of the team right now, it's just not a fit.

^^^

The prospects that it'll cost us should be spent on a relief pitcher.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 15, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)

No and too much.

Any questions?

Hunter would be great for the Sox, but he makes a ton of money and would cost anything worthwhile left in the Sox system. Anderson will hit better, and he's fine defensively, not quite Hunter, but who is? Plus KW is probably the biggest BA fan out there. There is zero chance the Sox trade for Hunter IMO. They should concentrate on strengthening the bullpen. If the bullpen is dominant, this team will be almost impossible to beat.

Aaron Rowand is just about good as Torii Hunter, and if the Sox were willing to get rid of him (who was loved by the fans and organization) to start Brian Anderson, I'm pretty confident Anderson will get a much longer chance to prove himself than less than a full year.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Who would everyone say is the best defensive CF in baseball?

Jones?

Yes, Jones easy. He's probably the 2nd best defensive CF of the 90's behind Griffey and probably top 5 of all-time.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Who would everyone say is the best defensive CF in baseball?

Jones?

i would say hunter. he reads the ball well of the bat and it seems like he is underneath everything hit his direction.