What are the Odds?

tonyho7476

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
Who would everyone say is the best defensive CF in baseball?

Jones?

Hands down...and I'd consider him a legendary defensive CFer. 2nd best is Torri Hunter...after that there is a group including Rowand and Anderson.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ May 15, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Why would the Twins been stupid enough to trade their star player to their greatest division rival. They wouldn't. Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.

So I shouldn't ask what your name is?? :P :D

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ May 15, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I dont get this...why would the Twins an inner-division rival, trade one of their top players to a team in their own divison, and to the same team that perhaps poses the biggest threat to win the AL Central?? I just dont get threads like this....

That's exactly what I said on the previous page. This thread needs to be strickened from the record.

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ May 15, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
I dont get this...why would the Twins an inner-division rival, trade one of their top players to a team in their own divison, and to the same team that perhaps poses the biggest threat to win the AL Central?? I just dont get threads like this....

I think this is overplayed. The Pirates had no problem giving the Cubs Lofton/Ramirez a couple of years ago. Hunter will go to the team offering the best package, regardless of division.

I dont see the fit for Torii one the Southside, maybe its just me. I think Anderson plays a VERY good centerfield, and sure, <.200 isnt gonna get it done at this level..but if he can put up a .250 avg and play the defense does i be content. lets honest here was looked in lineup as defensive substitution not because going to come worldbeater offensviely.>

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ May 15, 2006 -> 06:06 PM)
I think this is overplayed. The Pirates had no problem giving the Cubs Lofton/Ramirez a couple of years ago. Hunter will go to the team offering the best package, regardless of division.

The Sox and Twins have not traded with eachother since 1986 just because the Pirates are f***ing stupid doesn't mean a half way decent team like the Twins would do things the same way. You will not be seeing torii traded to any team within the division.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
The Sox and Twins have not traded with eachother since 1986 just because the Pirates are f***ing stupid doesn't mean a half way decent team like the Twins would do things the same way. You will not be seeing torii traded to any team within the division.

Even if the Twins weren't in our division, there's no way that KW would trade for a CF. Not when Torii wouldn't provide much of a defensive improvement, has a very mediocre OBP, would cost us millions, and would prevent us from dealing with our REAL problem: the bullpen.

Hunter is every bit the defender that Jones is. Both make impossible plays look easy. The difference is everyone has been saying Jones was incredible in the field since the guy was 20 and the fact that he lived up to the hype has made it common for people to say things like yeah hes the greatest ever maybe even though they really don't have much basis for that claim.

They are both elite, both are about as good as you could expect a human being to be at playing center field.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ May 15, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
Hunter is every bit the defender that Jones is. Both make impossible plays look easy. The difference is everyone has been saying Jones was incredible in the field since the guy was 20 and the fact that he lived up to the hype has made it common for people to say things like yeah hes the greatest ever maybe even though they really don't have much basis for that claim.

They are both elite, both are about as good as you could expect a human being to be at playing center field.

Jones can go in better than anyone and he's still amazing going back. I think thats the major difference of Andruw Jones and anyone else.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ May 15, 2006 -> 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sure about that? Hunter makes the routine plays look incredible because he plays so deep.

Left out of this conversation is the fact the the Yankees have two hurt outfielders and will likely be happy to overpay for a player like Tori Hunter. The Twins would not like to see Hunter in the Sox outfield and I dont want to watch Anderson in CF for the next 10 years with the Twins.

I think BA has too much of an upside and everyone is too worried about his rookie struggles at the plate.

Let the guy get acclimated and he will perform.

KW needs to look into some quality relief pitching if it is available. I think we are ok on outfielders, and if not we have a few waiting in the wings ( lopez ) that are viable options.

Whatever pitching is available should be the target in my mind.

BTW - those with an itchy trigger finger here might take notice of the fact that Corey Patterson is hitting a very respectable .290 for the Orioles?

Edited by milrtyme28

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a $12M bonus Hunter is due next year, but a $12M club option. And with the Twins being what they are salary-wise, it's kind of difficult to imagine them spending that much on one player. But if Radke retires (and his $9M salary goes off the books) maybe they make a play to keep him.

The thing is, Hunter *is* the Twins, both to fans and especially in that clubhouse (and he's a heckuva nice guy to boot). There is no doubt who the pack leader is on that team. Here's a hint, it ain't Joe Mauer, at least not yet.

Terry Ryan is about as shrewd as they come, but I suspect it would take an overwhelming package of prospects to get him to deal Hunter. You can multiply that a few times if you want to gauge a trade within the division.

Then again, Luis Castillo is in his free-agent year, and I believe same for Shannon Stewart. Batista is nothing more than a gamble to fill a hole, Rondell White isn't the solution to anything and Punto and Bartlett just don't look like everyday ballplayers at this level. And the Twins are still hoping that Jason Kubel can get back to the form he showed two years ago before he tore his knee to shreds and give them a productive, steady right fielder.

The Twins are always better when they field a team guys brought up through their system, and Hunter is a prime example. When they get away from that, tap the panic button and start loading up the lineup with Tony Batistas, that's when they get in trouble. And now they have a lineup of stopgap solutions and several key pieces that are free agents after the season. Really not an eviable position.

One thing is for certain. If the Twins lose Hunter, through trade or free agency, it will be a devastating blow to that organization. Without Hunter, I think that teams just falls to pieces.

Sheesh, I think I know more top-to-bottom about the Twins organization than I do the Sox at this point.

The thing is if the Twins dealt Hunter, they would have to go outside the organization to replace him. Denard Span a former 1st round pick a while back is showing no power down at AA, and isn't ready to take over.

I don't know who else is on the upcoming FA market in terms of CF's off the top of my head, but I'm guessing it probably won't be better than Hunter. But he's not worth the $12M that Minnesota will have to pay him.

My guess is they'll trade him to a team for prospects, that includes a good center fielder among them.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 16, 2006 -> 05:22 AM)
The thing is if the Twins dealt Hunter, they would have to go outside the organization to replace him. Denard Span a former 1st round pick a while back is showing no power down at AA, and isn't ready to take over.

I don't know who else is on the upcoming FA market in terms of CF's off the top of my head, but I'm guessing it probably won't be better than Hunter. But he's not worth the $12M that Minnesota will have to pay him.

My guess is they'll trade him to a team for prospects, that includes a good center fielder among them.

I believe if they don't aquire another CF in the deal, then they would move Lew Ford over to center, and plug in someone in the corners.

Call me crazy but I think we might trade either Pods or Uribe. Uribe has been amazing at short stop but his bat needs to pick up. I think that either Cintron might be a temp while we trade both pods and Uribe to try to get someone. I think Ozuna is ready to play play especially in left field. If you think about it Pods is starting to get things together but for awhile he was struggling. We need him to get on base and use his speed thats where he is most deadly. I think Ozuna has that speed as well.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ May 16, 2006 -> 07:44 AM)
Call me crazy but I think we might trade either Pods or Uribe. Uribe has been amazing at short stop but his bat needs to pick up. I think that either Cintron might be a temp while we trade both pods and Uribe to try to get someone. I think Ozuna is ready to play play especially in left field. If you think about it Pods is starting to get things together but for awhile he was struggling. We need him to get on base and use his speed thats where he is most deadly. I think Ozuna has that speed as well.

You're crazy.