Mariotti Column

Flash Tizzle

"Pierzynski's Rep The Instigator"

I realize Mariotti's angle. I realize he'll sway opinions from article to article--one day praising the Sox, another dismissing them. But this latest drivel struck a nerve with me. I couldn't just push it off without b****ing online. :D

Most of you don't care what he says. That's fine. Most instances, neither do I. Similar to the topic of unfair representation of our ballclub in both local and national media outlets, I'm not one to become upset. It's when one takes a faulty position based entirely upon flimsy arguments and past situations which have NO bearings to yesterday's events which upset me. Terry Boers calls it, "baseball retarded;" and in this instance, Mariotti has been stricken with it.

I have to admit, I was anticipating his article. I take them as comedic fodder capable of brightening most dreary mornings. They've become more of an interesting account into the mind of a maniac. After Barrett's assault on AJ yesterday--one where basically EVERYONE from Jeff Brantley to Carl Ravich acknowledged AJ as innocent--I assumed a funny account of the Cubs hitting rock bottom this morning. Damn, was I way off.

Read it yourself, and tell me it isn't someone purposely opposing AJ to set fans such as myself off. Is this supposed to be honest journalism? I'm convinced there is an alterior motive behind it. Look at the group of people siding with Barrett: Corey McPheron, Gennie Zelasco, Kevin Kennedy, Cub fans, Bruce Levine, Jay Mariotti. You know you're on the wrong side of the issue when those names are in the same corner.

What's typical of Mariotti's girly mood swings is yesterday he was complimenting the White Sox for exceeding the Cubs in every division of the game! Just read theses quote, and tell me it's not someone grasping for critcism:

After he was popped, did A.J. have to trot off to the backstop and watch from afar as Scott Podsednik tackled Barrett and Brian Anderson whaled on hospitalized Cub John Mabry?

What the f*** was he supposed to do there? Join in the fight and risk suspension? You'd think backing off from the punch would be something warranting praise. To everyone besides Mariotti it was.

And in typical Pierzynski fashion, why did he have to reveal what Barrett called him? Doesn't that break a baseball code, especially when A.J. claims to have known Barrett since high school? He plays many roles, but a good martyr isn't one of them. Even when he tried to defend himself, he did so with such a condescending, immature attitude that you wanted to gag him. ''I've already extended a branch to him,'' A.J. said of Barrett. ''I told one of the clubhouse guys to tell him I'd call him if he wants. But I haven't received anything back.''

Again, why make that public?

He's actually criticizing Pierzynski for truthfully describing what happened on the field. Something which camera's clearly corroborate. AJ says nothing about Barrett he looks bad. AJ says the truth and STILL looks bad. I guess from now on it's open season on AJ in the mind of idiots such as Mariotti. Apparently, because of his past, he'll always be to blame.

If this is his goal, to get people talking about him in hopes of increasing circulation and websites hits he can consider it a success. However, it's moments such as these he loses a little bit more of credibility in the minds of half-way intelligent baseball fans. Go ahead and rip players endlessly when it's warranted. But God Damn, for not doing anything besides a clean baseball play and slapping the plate, AJ sure is catching a lot of flack for this incident.

Edited by aboz56

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ May 21, 2006 -> 05:48 AM)
I refuse to link it, but if you feel like gagging please read the Moron's column this morning. Pay close attention to his word choices. It's almost like he bet someone he could write an article taking Barrett's side.

Exactly how I feel.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...0entry1140783

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ May 21, 2006 -> 06:14 AM)

Sorry man, hadn't visited the diamond club. Couldn't agree with you more. It's one of the most contrarian articles I can remember him writing.

"Barrett, according to A.J., muttered incendiary words -- unusual for a highly religious man" -- huh?

"Which means, yes, based on his pot-stirring reputation, as well as what he did before and after Barrett's punch, Pierzynski still strikes me as a bad guy in this affair." -- uh, ok.

"While everyone else is playing baseball, A.J. thinks he's in the wrestling ring...Did he have to raise his arms as he ran to the dugout, like a triumphant Hulk Hogan?" -- sstttreeetcchhhh

"And why raise your arms, point to your jaw and beat your chest in front of the South Side fans, some of whom are known to crash the field and attack people in uniform?" -- this is the point it becomes abundantly clear he's trying to get us going

"Barrett, despite a loss of control that will cost him games and money, somehow came off better." -- lmao

"When it's Anthony John Pierzynski, resident pest, a God-fearing ballplayer throws a punch at him." -- second mention of Barrett's religion, what does this have to do with anything?

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

I didn't think it was possible to blame AJ for what happened, but wow, Mariotti proved me wrong.

I guess what confuses me about the Barrett/religious mention is, does a religious man usually punch another man in the face?

Edited by Felix

You'd seriously think AJ not only trucked himself, then he got up, grabbed himself and then slugged himself. I cant stand this idiot on ESPN or in print. I encourage everyone to write this clown and call him on his blatant bias.

Assclown Mariotti

Edited by Purdue1906

QUOTE(fathom @ May 21, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
I can't wait to hear Hawk comment on this. This might be the worst article I've ever read.

Im thinking a "That is BEEEEEEEEE ESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS" is in order

At risk of overlooking my White Sox fan bias, can somebody PLEASE explain to me how anyone can say AJ was at fault in any way, shape or form for what happened yesterday? I have watched replay after replay and fail to see how slapping home plate is worthy of getting decked. I think almost all fans and players in Chicago know it, too. However, for some reason, guys like Kevin Kennedy and Marriotti are trying to find ways to spin this against AJ. This bulls*** about AJ's supposed reputation is way past stale. I am trying to figure out what his "reputation" is, anyway? The only reputation I can think of is one of a championship player who knows how to play the game of baseball. He also knows the rules better than these supposed experts. This false controversy is getting really tiring. I stopped acknowledging the Moron's existence a long time ago, but when folks on Fox and ESPN start up with AJ again, it is totally unfair.

By the way, does anyone think that Barrett might have been able to knock Pierzynski down if he had a championship ring on his right hand?

That's the thing.....I would have expected AJP to be at fault, if you told me before hand what happened. However, he really didn't do anything wrong. By no means am I a White Sox homer, but anyone blaming AJP is pathetic. Barrett's a piece of s***, and it was just a matter of time before he lost his temper and acted like an idiot.

I learned long ago to not read anything The Jay writes. This guy is an absolute joke, and this is why the Sun-Times is one of the worst paper's in Chicago... because they hire tools like this.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me what AJP has done in his career to get the title of instigator? If he's such the agitator and instigator, how come I never heard about him until we signed him? If he was so big as to be close to a TO of the NFL, as it seems some people think he is, you would think I would have heard of him.

But Marioti has gone way too far as to blame this situation on AJ. He's not right in the head, I tell you. I didn't even read the last 3/4 of the column, because I assume it just more mind-boggling bulls*** from The Jay.

What a joke.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 21, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
Can somebody PLEASE tell me what AJP has done in his career to get the title of instigator? If he's such the agitator and instigator, how come I never heard about him until we signed him? If he was so big as to be close to a TO of the NFL, as it seems some people think he is, you would think I would have heard of him.

um, pretty sure that every sox fan in the world hated him when he was with the twins.

And then he went to the giants and had a whole bunch of problems.

It was pretty well known

Mariotti is just a good example of a complete jackass who has nothing better to do than just stir the pot.

Hopefully one day the Sun Times will get a clue and give him walking papers. I guess Kotex Boy has a hard-on for Barrett or something and was blown off by AJ in the past because "Anthony John" knows not to waste his time talking to a jackass like Mariotti.

I really wish a group of Sox fans could get a hold of Mariotti in the parking lot and just beat him to a living pulp. I can't stand that jag.

QUOTE(SnB @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
um, pretty sure that every sox fan in the world hated him when he was with the twins.

And then he went to the giants and had a whole bunch of problems.

It was pretty well known

I never hated AJP as a person. I just didn't like we had a competitor like that on the competition helping beat us all of the time. He's the prototype of the player you hate to face but you love him on your squad. I always thought he was a great player and you can go back to the threads where we were looking at signing him and I was first in line to get the guy. I hope we keep him for the rest of his career. That said, yes, he was hated by many and yes, he can stir the pot. Thing is, the guy was actually innocent yesterday.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me what AJP has done in his career to get the title of instigator? If he's such the agitator and instigator, how come I never heard about him until we signed him?

Did you watch any Sox games before last year?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 21, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
I really wish a group of Sox fans could get a hold of Mariotti in the parking lot and just beat him to a living pulp. I can't stand that jag.

I never hated AJP as a person. I just didn't like we had a competitor like that on the competition helping beat us all of the time. He's the prototype of the player you hate to face but you love him on your squad. I always thought he was a great player and you can go back to the threads where we were looking at signing him and I was first in line to get the guy. I hope we keep him for the rest of his career.

I hope he stays here as well. This guy is the ULTIMATE competitor, and he seems to be well liked in the locker room. I think it's great the way he plays, with heart. Here's one for AJP! :cheers

OK, A.J., I'll tell you. You're an instigator, an agitator, a troublemaker, a wise guy.

The above quote is from Mariotti's article. I really believe Mariotti is jealous of AJ. Mariotti wants to be the world's, or at least this town's, instigator, agitator, troublemaker and wise guy. If his column had any truth in it, he could surely understand why Hawk or JR would walk up behind him, grab him, turn him around and punch him in the face. The bottom line is Mariotti's trying to cause trouble with his writings again, and he's become so insignificant, it won't work. If there is no retribution today, he will be the most disappointed person in this city. He probably already has tomorrow's column written with blanks to fill in names.

What a joke.

I'll give you one thing, you are pretty damn humorous.

This was an obvious attempt by mariotti to start some s***. There is no way in hell that AJ can be blamed for this. If Barrett didn't want to be flattened because he didn't have the ball, he should have gotten the f*** out of the way. It's been said AJ bumped him just before the punch. The way i saw it was that AJ tried to avoid contact and get to his helmet. Barrett was looking to start some s***. I totally believe that. In fact, that thought crossed my mind at the time I saw the play.

I really dont like how AJ's percieved attitude has somehow justified Barretts actions to many fans and people in the press. Everyone has really glossed over the fact that Barrett has been pulling this stunt for 3 years now, and they are focusing on AJs actions as an instigator. It is plain to anyone who watches the film that AJ didnt say anything and was going for his helmet, and Barrett just snapped.

Reifert owns Moronotti pretty good:

http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/inside_th.../05/sunday.html

Ironic

One local columnist takes AJ to task for the incident yesterday, writing "this is what happens when you have a reputation, when you're known as a sport's reigning provocateur/punk ..."

Later he labels AJ with terms like rabble-rouser, smart-aleck, instigator, aggitator, trouble-maker, a wise guy and annoying cuss, before concluding with "All this showed me is that baseball players can be little boys, some littler than others."

I guess he doesn't like AJ, which is certainly his option, but this seems like such a severe case of the pot calling the kettle black that I laughed out loud while reading it.

Let's see ... punk, instigator, smart-aleck, rabble-rouser, troublemaker, wise guy ... it seems like someone makes a living moon-lighting as just that character each weekday afternoon on ESPN. Maybe he just doesn't like himself. Maybe that expains a lot.

No one deserves to be punched ... ever.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
This was an obvious attempt by mariotti to start some s***. There is no way in hell that AJ can be blamed for this. If Barrett didn't want to be flattened because he didn't have the ball, he should have gotten the f*** out of the way. It's been said AJ bumped him just before the punch. The way i saw it was that AJ tried to avoid contact and get to his helmet. Barrett was looking to start some s***. I totally believe that. In fact, that thought crossed my mind at the time I saw the play.

Barrett grabbed him before AJ even had a chance to bump him. Also, it's pretty damn obvious that he's trying to get around him to get him helmet. We need to have Brian take care of Mariotti one of these days.