Sign in to follow this  
Pauly8509CWS

Chili Peppers Use Petty's Music

Ya, I posted this in the music thread. It definitely sounds very similar. I found it to be pretty disappointing.

those djs sped up the tom petty tunes a little bit, but it is still VERY close. Im dissapointed in the Peppers

Haha when I heard about Dani California being a ripoff before, it was people mentioning that the solo at the end had chunks of the main riff of Purple Haze

This happens all the time in rock/pop music, it's just usually nobody picks up on it. I don't think it was intentional. Another example of this sort of thing I actually just noticed recently. I was listening to Green Day's Nimrod album(ok, stop laughing jerks) and the song 'Scattered' sounds almost exactly like the old America song 'Sister Golden Hair.' You can find hundreds of examples like this, if you had the time and resources.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 22, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
Nickelback plagarizes their own material.

Why don't they try to rip off someone that doesn't suck?

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ May 22, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
This happens all the time in rock/pop music, it's just usually nobody picks up on it. I don't think it was intentional. Another example of this sort of thing I actually just noticed recently. I was listening to Green Day's Nimrod album(ok, stop laughing jerks) and the song 'Scattered' sounds almost exactly like the old America song 'Sister Golden Hair.' You can find hundreds of examples like this, if you had the time and resources.

The entire American Idiot disc is like a tribute album.

They "borrow" tons of riffs, from Siouxsie and the Banshees to Oasis to Motley Crue and tons more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

And it does indeed happen all the time - the most recent one I can think of is "Wings Of A Butterfly" by HIM lifting the riff from Tom Petty's "A Woman In Love".

That's rock and roll for you. When Mary Jane's Last Dance came out, it was striking how much the verses followed CSNY's Almost Cut My Hair, and even how much the Mike Campbell and Petty (outro) solos sounded like Steve Stills' guitar lines from that song.

Am/G/D, arpeggiate the chords a bit and you have either of those songs, and apparently this Chilli's song too.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
On "Illinois", Sufjan Stevens' blatantly copies the riff for "Close To You" by The Cure.

there is so much going on in that god damn song...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 23, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
Why don't they try to rip off someone that doesn't suck?

HAHAHHAHAA