Intriguing Week Ahead...

The Ginger Kid

We'll see what Detroit's made of this week and the next two when they go:

3 vs. CLE

4 vs. NYY

3 vs. BOS

3 vs. SOX

The tribe, which is showing some signs of life again, could plunge into a deep double digit deficit with seven games against the Sox and kitties. Or find themselves right back in the race.

A great transition into June...

:bringit

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 25, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
We'll see what Detroit's made of this week and the next two when they go:

3 vs. CLE

4 vs. NYY

3 vs. BOS

3 vs. SOX

The tribe, which is showing some signs of life again, could plunge into a deep double digit deficit with seven games against the Sox and kitties. Or find themselves right back in the race.

A great transition into June...

:bringit

too bad they will miss Sabathia... Hopefully they catch Mussina, Becket, and Schilling.

You guys seriously underestimate the Tigers' staying power. Their pitching is MUCH stronger than the Tribe's, and it will keep them in the hunt well into September even if we crack 100 wins. I expect the Tigers to continue on their torrid pace at least through the All-Star break and get far enough over .500 that even if they fall back to a .500 pace, they'll end up winning in the mid-90s and winning the wild card. I don't see the Tribe pitching well enough to go on the 24-4 tear that almost got them in last year. Hitting just isn't consistent enough by itself to carry a team.

Guest JimH

I haven't checked the numbers but I think the Tigers are, what, 26-5 in their last 30+ games?

They will not keep up that pace.

They are a good team, much better than they've been but they'll come back to earth.

QUOTE(VAfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
You guys seriously underestimate the Tigers' staying power. Their pitching is MUCH stronger than the Tribe's

I wouldn't say that...

Sabathia > Rogers

Westbrook > Bonderman

Lee > Maroth

Now Maroth appears to be injured and they might have to rely on Verlander's young, unconditioned arm to pitch at a high level in September. Given that Rogers also tends to bite it down the stretch, I like Cleveland's chances.

Hitting just isn't consistent enough by itself to carry a team.

The Tigers will learn that lesson when they face the Yankees and both Sox teams in the next couple of weeks. Shelton and Maggs aren't going to shell Mussina, Schilling, Beckett, Count, and Buehrle like they do Royals pitching.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 25, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
I wouldn't say that...

Sabathia > Rogers

Westbrook > Bonderman

Lee > Maroth

Now Maroth appears to be injured and they might have to rely on Verlander's young, unconditioned arm to pitch at a high level in September. Given that Rogers also tends to bite it down the stretch, I like Cleveland's chances.

The Tigers will learn that lesson when they face the Yankees and both Sox teams in the next couple of weeks. Shelton and Maggs aren't going to shell Mussina, Schilling, Beckett, Count, and Buehrle like they do Royals pitching.

I don't know about that one Lee might be better than Bonderman but no way Westbrook is. Also Verlander is probably better than Westbrook too but he's only a rookie so you just don't know how he'll hold up over the long haul of the season.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I haven't checked the numbers but I think the Tigers are, what, 26-5 in their last 30+ games?

They will not keep up that pace.

They are a good team, much better than they've been but they'll come back to earth.

I'm sure they're happy in 1st place for now, but can you imagine how frustrating it must be to be on that kind of tear and only be that far ahead of the 2nd place team?

QUOTE(VAfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
You guys seriously underestimate the Tigers' staying power. Their pitching is MUCH stronger than the Tribe's, and it will keep them in the hunt well into September even if we crack 100 wins. I expect the Tigers to continue on their torrid pace at least through the All-Star break and get far enough over .500 that even if they fall back to a .500 pace, they'll end up winning in the mid-90s and winning the wild card. I don't see the Tribe pitching well enough to go on the 24-4 tear that almost got them in last year. Hitting just isn't consistent enough by itself to carry a team.

Well if you think the Tigers can continue playing .700 ball, go on ahead and be naive. And I hope they enjoy the 1 game lead in the loss column over the Sox, clearly something that is insurmountable.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
I don't know about that one Lee might be better than Bonderman but no way Westbrook is.

Bonderman career: 4.98 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

Westbrook career: 4.40 ERA, 1.37 WHIP

They're close, but I'd give Westbrook the edge since he actually has one "good" season under his belt. Agreed that Bonderman has more upside, though, and will probably have the better career.

Also agreed that Verlander has more talent than both. But he will probably be less of a factor down the stretch, as rookies tend to incur "dead arm" issues in August and September.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 25, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
I don't know about that one Lee might be better than Bonderman but no way Westbrook is. Also Verlander is probably better than Westbrook too but he's only a rookie so you just don't know how he'll hold up over the long haul of the season.

Why does everyone knob Bonderman? Why is he so great that his ERA doesnt show it?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 25, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)
Why does everyone knob Bonderman? Why is he so great that his ERA doesnt show it?

Maybe it's because ERA doesn't always tell the whole story, the guy has really only had 2.5 bad starts all year coupled with the fact that he's 23 and has sick stuff.

QUOTE(VAfan @ May 25, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)

The Tigers are now 33-14 through 47 games. They have 115 games remaining.

If the Tigers go 58-57 in those games - 1 game over .500 - they will win 91 games. That's close to the playoffs right there, ESPECIALLY with the Blue Jays being improved and sucking wins away from the Red Sox and Yankees.

The Tigers aren't going ANYWHERE folks. Barring a collapse of Titanic or Hindenburg proportions, the Tigers will be in the race deep into September.

I think this absurd start of theirs nearly guarantees that they will hit 94 wins. That's only 61-54 the rest of the way. With a good rotation (probably 2nd best to Sox in the division with the Twins' rotation imploding), a good bullpen (probably better than the Sox right now) and a good hitting lineup (a bit behind the Sox with Thome, but probably better than the '05 Sox), it's hard to see the Tigers not hitting 95+ wins.

The good news is that the Sox are 31-15 through 46 games. They have 116 games remaining. If they go 63-53, they hit 94 wins as well.

My guess is that we see the AL Central with two 95+ win teams. Perhaps one team with 100-104 wins and the other with 98-100 wins....I just don't know which one will be which right now.

PS, last year the Tigers were 22-25 through 47 games, and went 49-66 the rest of the way. If they did that this year, they STILL hit 82-80. That's not playoff contention, but just shows you how bad they have to play the rest of the year to fade away.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ May 25, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
The Tigers are now 33-14 through 47 games. They have 115 games remaining.

If the Tigers go 58-57 in those games - 1 game over .500 - they will win 91 games. That's close to the playoffs right there, ESPECIALLY with the Blue Jays being improved and sucking wins away from the Red Sox and Yankees.

The Tigers aren't going ANYWHERE folks. Barring a collapse of Titanic or Hindenburg proportions, the Tigers will be in the race deep into September.

I think this absurd start of theirs nearly guarantees that they will hit 94 wins. That's only 61-54 the rest of the way. With a good rotation (probably 2nd best to Sox in the division with the Twins' rotation imploding), a good bullpen (probably better than the Sox right now) and a good hitting lineup (a bit behind the Sox with Thome, but probably better than the '05 Sox), it's hard to see the Tigers not hitting 95+ wins.

The good news is that the Sox are 31-15 through 46 games. They have 116 games remaining. If they go 63-53, they hit 94 wins as well.

My guess is that we see the AL Central with two 95+ win teams. Perhaps one team with 100-104 wins and the other with 98-100 wins....I just don't know which one will be which right now.

PS, last year the Tigers were 22-25 through 47 games, and went 49-66 the rest of the way. If they did that this year, they STILL hit 82-80. That's not playoff contention, but just shows you how bad they have to play the rest of the year to fade away.

Oh my. I hadn't done the Math before.

That is not good, not good at all.