2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=2456810

• Useless Triple-Play Info: That triple play the White Sox pulled off May 14 was more than just the first TP of the year. According to SABR'S fabulous triple-play files, it was the first 3-4-6 trifecta turned by any team in nearly a century. The last one like that: Sept. 2, 1910, when the Pirates' George Gibson popped up into a 3-4-6 against the Reds (Dick Hoblitzel to Dick Egan to Tommy McMillan). Who knew?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=2456805

4. If you read the invaluable Elias Says column, you probably already saw The Greatest Elias Note of the Year: They dug that one up May 14, when Mark Buehrle became the first pitcher to give up seven runs in the first inning and still get a win since Jack Powell, of the 1900 St. Louis Cardinals did it in a win over the late, great Chicago Orphans.

But we were intrigued by something else that went on in that game. How often does a pitcher give up seven in the first inning and still get to march out to the mound to start the seventh? Well, that hasn't happened, Elias reports, since Mark Mulder allowed seven runs in the first on July 5, 2000, but still managed to last 6 2/3 innings. (Buehrle faced the leadoff hitter in the seventh in his start but didn't get another out.)

8. If the White Sox don't win the AL Central, they can blame the Santanas -- well, all of them except Julio and Carlos, anyway. They just lost to two of them in back-to-back games May 10 and 12 (first to Ervin, then to Johan). So how rare is it for a team to lose two straight games to pitchers with the same name? Well, unfortunately, not as rare as we'd figured, thanks to those pesky Rockies, who kept starting Byung-Hyun Kim and Sun-Woo Kim back-to-back last season. Last team to lose to the Kims in two straight games, according to Elias: the Dodgers, last Sept. 2 and 3.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ May 25, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Pretty much anything regarding the White Sox deserves its own thread in Pale Hose since we are the hardcore.

I can certainly see some tidbits that were never discussed, because they weren't exactly thread-worthy. I know I've done it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
I can certainly see some tidbits that were never discussed, because they weren't exactly thread-worthy. I know I've done it.

Same here, that's why the White Sox rumors thread in trade winds and the MLB Catch-All threads are so damn active.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 25, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)

Me too. I've held back on one-answer questions or comments that didn't need a thread.

Now I can't think of any. :P

Nothing of any importance, but I always like hearing what opposing players have to say about our team...at least when they are praising us.

"That's why they're the best team in baseball, hands down." - Oakland outfielder Jay Payton.

"They're a very tough team. You know the starters are going to go deep in the game, they have a tough bullpen, they have some guys who can run and their lineup is solid from top to bottom. One through nine, all of them can drive the ball." - A's starter Dan Haren

"Their bullpen is excellent. If you don't have a lead after seven, you're in for some trouble against these guys." - Manager Ken Macha

Obviously, Macha hasn't seen alot of our bullpen this year. :P

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ May 25, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Did anybody else catch the hotties that got Hawk and DJ's attention last night? There was a nice little moment the first time they showed them (think Rock Raines' avatar).

I did indeed...in fact these girls popped into my mind earlier today while at work....when a girl is that hot and loves the white sox...i dont think i need to say anymore

QUOTE(rudylaw @ May 25, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
This is why I love the Sox Pride Crew.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_P...947227_4867.jpg

:wub:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 26, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
The Pride Crew girls stood behind me and snb for a few innings on friday and they are very good looking.

If your hair is still long, no wonder they moved after a few innings. :P

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 25, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
If your hair is still long, no wonder they moved after a few innings. :P

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I was gonna say Rowand and SnB's "game" with the ladies isn't what you call... "good" but that'll work... :D