Tigers are gonna be tough to catch

brijames

Living here in MI I get to see the Tigers a lot, which really sucks, but they look to be having the same kind of year the ChiSox had last year. They have had the hitting but now their starting staff is putting it all together. They are playing with so much confidence right now. Every break seems to be going their way. Leyland has really changed the attitude of the team. Other than the Sox so far they are beating the crap out of their Central Division foes like the Sox did last year. Someone has to start slowing them down a little or before you know it they are gonna have a huge lead with no looking back.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they just put maroth on the DL and im pretty sure his era will above 4 as it always has been, bondermans era is 4.57 and hasnt pitched too well as of late, verlander has never pitched over 200 innings so hey who knows what will happen. they been playing awesome and we have yet to play up to where we can and yet were still only 2 1/2 games out. :huh

Listen, provided both us and them stay healthy this year, we're going to have a pennant race for the ages in the AL Central - which may cause a bit of heartburn, but will still be a treat to watch. I think the White Sox are playoff bound in any case and getting to the show is what's important to me.... So I'm not so much scared as I am excited.

QUOTE(brijames @ May 27, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
Someone has to start slowing them down a little or before you know it they are gonna have a huge lead with no looking back.

You mean they're not going to win 130 games this season? :o

I'm happy for the Tigers. They haven't had a 90-win season or playoff appearance in 19 years. It's nice to see a storied franchise pull themselves out of the crapper.

That said, we're not even two full months into the season. A lot can happen between now and the All-Star break. (Hell, Maroth just went on the DL with elbow issues.) It won't be until July or so that we know if the Tigers are true contenders or just this year's incarnation of the '05 Orioles or '03 Royals.

QUOTE(brijames @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Someone has to start slowing them down a little or before you know it they are gonna have a huge lead with no looking back.

:P i think that looking back at least year, we have learned that no lead in the division is safe. once second we can be up 15 and then up by just a game.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ May 27, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
White Sox vs. Tigers ALCS?

hey if it happened bring it on. the tigers have shown that since last year and the begining of this yr already that they have a very hard time beating us.

I have to believe they will come back to the pack. Averages is averages. Look how well their starting pitching is doing compared to their career averages going into 06. Also, Maroth might be done if they cut on his elbow, which is why I added Jason Grilli.

QUOTE(TLAK @ May 27, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
I have to believe they will come back to the pack. Averages is averages. Look how well their starting pitching is doing compared to their career averages going into 06. Also, Maroth might be done if they cut on his elbow, which is why I added Jason Grilli.

Maroth's '06 ERA is 3.56, I think it's listed as 2-something in your chart. And I don't know if stretching Zumaya's arm back out and putting him into the rotation is an option for the Tigers, but he's a better pitcher than Maroth, even though he's raw as hell.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Come back when they play a .500 team or greater, and beat them up. Then we'll talk.

You know one of the local sports stations here in Detroit was talking about this, and they mentioned something that really makes sense when you think about it. They said that maybe the reason some of these teams are under .500 or close to it right now is in part because of the Tigers beating them as often as they have. We're 21-7 against Central teams right now so that notion probably isn't too far off from the truth.

QUOTE(brijames @ May 27, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Living here in MI I get to see the Tigers a lot, which really sucks, but they look to be having the same kind of year the ChiSox had last year. They have had the hitting but now their starting staff is putting it all together. They are playing with so much confidence right now. Every break seems to be going their way. Leyland has really changed the attitude of the team. Other than the Sox so far they are beating the crap out of their Central Division foes like the Sox did last year. Someone has to start slowing them down a little or before you know it they are gonna have a huge lead with no looking back.

2.5 games ahead, you can put down the f***ing white flag its May.

One constant last season was Ozzie's repeated assertion that it's easy to stick together when you're playing good - but let's see how we play when things get rough.

Things got rough in August and September but the Sox hung together and gutted it out; the clubhouse never stopped pulling for each other.

The kitties will hit a slump - it's inevitable in a 162 game season. Then we'll know what they're made of.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 27, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
One constant last season was Ozzie's repeated assertion that it's easy to stick together when you're playing good - but let's see how we play when things get rough.

Things got rough in August and September but the Sox hung together and gutted it out; the clubhouse never stopped pulling for each other.

The kitties will hit a slump - it's inevitable in a 162 game season. Then we'll know what they're made of.

Yes, like we did last year. I know someone said, "Oh well, they're pitching way better than their career numbers", but same thing with our staff for the most part. Even if it is a fluke year, that year is now for them. I think they're a legit threat. Don't confuse this with me saying, "Oh well, we're screwed." I'm just saying they're playing determined like we did last year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 27, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
Yes, like we did last year. I know someone said, "Oh well, they're pitching way better than their career numbers", but same thing with our staff for the most part.

That's definitley true with regard to Garland, Politte, and Hermanson. But Buehrle and Garcia weren't very far from their career averages last season. Considering that Count was one of the best pitchers of his generation to come out of Cuba, 15-7/3.61 probably isn't anywhere near his career-best. El Duque was terrible as a starter and was injured for part of the year. We also lost our over-performing closer down the stretch and successfully replaced him with a rookie.

On the other hand, the Tigers don't have a staff full of established guys who have been in the Top 5 or 10 in pitching before. Rogers is the only one who fits that category, and he has a well-documented history of mediocre pitching down the stretch. Bonderman has very good stuff and I could easily see him "pulling a Garland" this year, but it seems highly unlikely that both Maroth and Robertson would also do it in the same season. And if Verlander were to keep at his current pace, he'd be the next Doc Gooden. Tigers pitching has defintely turned a corner, but it's a real stretch to say that they'll finish the season with the league-low in ERA. The '06 Tigers staff reminds me a lot more of the '00 Sox than the '05 Sox.

Come back when they play a .500 team or greater, and beat them up. Then we'll talk.

I don't buy that argument about the schedule. Winning baseball is winning baseball

especially when you play teams in your own division so much. The alarming thing is seeing

our lead dip in the wild card race. Boston and NY will be around all year as well.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ May 27, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)

Our strength of schedule has been the easiest in all of baseball yet the Tigers still have a better record. Granted their schedule has been barely tougher.