Official: Clemens signs with Astros

I'm leaving the ? in the title, until there's more confirmation.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yan...y-top-headlines

Clemens signs with Astros

BY KEN DAVIDOFF

Newsday Staff Writer

Roger Clemens is making yet another comeback with the Houston Astros, Newsday has learned. An announcement is expected as soon as today.

Clemens, 43, has signed a one-year deal that is believed to be worth about $3.5 million per month, which will probably equate to about $10.5 million for the season, depending on when exactly he returns to action.

The seven-time Cy Young Award winner, who turns 44 in August, has a career record of 344-172. After the Astros declined to offer him salary arbirtation last winter, they forefeited the right to re-sign him until May 1. But Clemens, who broke down physically at the end of last season, seemed intrigued by the idea of pitching only part of a season.

I think ESPN might have in on Insider. Everyone is waiting for a press conference announcement I think. Also this would make Steve Stone wrong. He thought Clemens would go to Boston.

QUOTE(G&T @ May 30, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
I think ESPN might have in on Insider. Everyone is waiting for a press conference announcement I think. Also this would make Steve Stone wrong. He thought Clemens would go to Boston.

Harold Reynolds was saying he'd go to NY or Texas last night on BBTN, because they had the strongest bullpens.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ May 30, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
I love Rocket so I'm happy about this.

I like him too, and I'm glad that he's sticking with Houston.

The ? remains for a little bit more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2463566

GM denies report Clemens has picked Astros

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura denied a report on Tuesday that Roger Clemens had picked a team for 2006, saying the situation was "status quo."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, also denied the report.

Newsday reported on its Web site that Clemens had decided to re-sign with the Astros and an announcement would be made as soon as today.

Purpura denied the report, telling ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "It's status quo, except for all the media attention we've had."

"We've had no conduct with Roger's people today," said Purpura, adding that the last time he talked to Hendricks was Sunday.

Purpura said he was told then that "Roger was still in the mode of trying to decide what he wants to do." So essentially, Purpura said, "We're just awaiting his decision."

Hendricks told ESPN.com that he hasn't spoken to the Astros on Tuesday.

"Contrary to Newsday, there is no agreement with the Astros," Hendricks said.

Clemens has accelerated his workouts in recent weeks in anticipation for his return. The Astros, Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers have been rumored as possible landing spots for the Rocket.

In December, the Astros declined to offer Clemens arbitration after he went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA in 32 starts. However, Clemens began to wear down late in the season and lasted just two innings in Houston's Game One loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury.

In his two seasons with the Astros, Clemens posted a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA.

An 11-time All-Star, Clemens has more wins than any other living pitcher and ranks ninth all-time with 341 victories. In 672 career games, he is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and has recorded 4,502 career strikeouts, trailing only Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list.

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ May 31, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
His scheduled return date to the 'Stros is June 22. And if I'm not mistaken, the week after that, Houston comes to the Cell.

Possible Game 1 rematch? :huh

Contreras v. Clemens?

I'd like that.

Hopefully it isn't Garland versus Clemens!