Big Frank

Frank is starting to heat up a little bit. Remember, he was hitting .178 coming into USCF, and now he's at .230 with 12 HR, 29 RBI, and an .830 OPS.

He hit HR #460 tonight. He now has two straight games with an HR.

I was pissed to see his career OPS fall from .996 to .989, but now it's back up to .992. Let's hope that he can stay healthy enough to get 400 to 450 ABs. He only has 3 doubles thus far, which is an indication that he ain't trying to force the issue. He probably has some of those off-the-wall type singles. And I mean literally off the wall.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
Frank is starting to heat up a little bit. Remember, he was hitting .178 coming into USCF, and now he's at .230 with 12 HR, 29 RBI, and an .830 OPS.

He hit HR #460 tonight. He now has two straight games with an HR.

I was pissed to see his career OPS fall from .996 to .989, but now it's back up to .992. Let's hope that he can stay healthy enough to get 400 to 450 ABs. He only has 3 doubles thus far, which is an indication that he ain't trying to force the issue. He probably has some of those off-the-wall type singles. And I mean literally off the wall.

He had a line-shot single off the wall, while he was in Chicago. So that's probably true.

And note that this time, I'm deleting any posts that we've seen in previous threads discussing Frank. This thread is to discuss Frank's season and is staying kosher.

If there were any way he could get his OPS up to 1.000 again, it would look so damn good on his resume when he retires. That's a club with only 10 members right now with one of them not counting (Helton, 1.036) so in my mind he would be one of 10 players to have an OPS of 1000 or higher for his career. Amazing company.

Yeah the guy's power has never and will never leave him. Even as his body betrays him and his legs ache and his bat speed drops-the guy knows how to hit. He's strong enough and smart enough to still draw a lot of walks and to hit the ball out of the park. If he can get the old average up to 250 and hit 30 or so homers-he will have been a superb pickup by the Oakland A's

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
When Frank has the opportunity, he should thank Garland for serving up some juicy fastballs and turning his season around. Nothing like facing Jon to turn around the ol' confidence. :D

IMO, that is the reason why he has been hitting the cover off the ball lately. Nothing better than coming back to your old home and facing old teammates. The crowd gave him a good applause and he replied with 2 HR’s.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Jun 2, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
IMO, that is the reason why he has been hitting the cover off the ball lately. Nothing better than coming back to your old home and facing old teammates. The crowd gave him a good applause and he replied with 2 HR’s.

That's got to help, but there's some strong coincidence in that too. Frank's always been a sluggish starter, and once the weather heats up he usually does too.

I was sitting in left field at Camden Yards in '93 during the home run derby (believe it or not, right next to John Rooney's wife who introduced herself when she saw my Sox cap).

Everyone was trying to catch home run balls, naturally. Until Frank came up, that is. He hit a laser on his first dinger that sent us all ducking. After that there was a palpable buzz.

Then he hit one off the third deck. People went nuts. Damn that man can hit a ball HARD.

It is no stretch to think that his resurgence has been aided by his return to the Cell. He rose to the occasion the way great ones do, like Ted Williams in his final AB or Ruth hitting 3 homers in a game in the final week of his career. I think he was so focused that he did great, and now he has his swagger back a bit. The weather certainly isn't hurting either. If Frank can go on to hit his 500 next year and the Sox make a postseason run this year, then maybe there doesn't have to be any bad blood outside of Frank and Kenny.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:22 AM)
That was Oakland's only run. God damn, the Twins are on fire right now. They have won 6 straight.

Frank is approaching some milestones. He now has 1495 RBI, and 1494 runs.

Thatd be raw if he got 1500 and 1500 at the same time

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 4, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Frank get hurt today? Noticed he was PH for in the 3rd after getting a double in his 1st AB.

Just looked in the GameDay to see what it was:

Bottom 5TH B:0 S:0 O:0

Oakland Athletics designated hitter Frank Thomas left the game due to an injured foot/ankle.

And here comes the Frank bashing, though no one in this thread has suggested that the Sox did anything wrong by letting him go.