Big Frank

I

How the hell is he still healthy? That's all I wanna know. I had him done for the year, done for his career by May before the season, and he just keeps ticking along. I think we ask Sox fans all hope for 500 to come sometime next year.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
I

How the hell is he still healthy? That's all I wanna know. I had him done for the year, done for his career by May before the season, and he just keeps ticking along. I think we ask Sox fans all hope for 500 to come sometime next year.

I'm glad he's still able to suit up for the A's, but he looks to be in obvious pain when he runs.

That foot is still going to cost him some games, I think.

I really hope he gets to 500 homers.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Frank had a good night with a walk and an RBI single with a run scored but he was pinch run for so I wonder if he might have pushed it back a tad soon or if this was just Macha trying to avoid Frank having to run so soon back. Haven't se the game and htere is no injury note yet

Looks like a pulled quad. Frank said he will be out "a while". Looks like his annual trip to the DL.

Yep a trip to the DL would make sense for everyone with interleague play up comming.

Latest News

Jun. 15, 2006 - 12:05 am et

Frank Thomas left Wednesday's game in the third inning with a strained right quad.

It's the same problem that's plagued him for a month. Since they're going to NL parks anyway for nine games beginning Monday, maybe the A's will opt to put Thomas on the DL for 15 days. If that's how thet choose to play it, Bobby Kielty and Jay Payton will get extra at-bats.

I think its basicly perfect timing for him to do it too.... if it was in Sept. and they were in a pennant race im sure he would play through it but in interleague where he cant start anyways why not give him a rest. He has actually been in the lineup for a majority of the games... probably already has more ab's than a lot of people would of guessed he would for the entire season.

There's no way to get around it," Thomas said after Wednesday's game. "It's going to be awhile. It's not bothering me when I swing but I can't get out of the box."

The injury originally occurred on May 11 in Toronto. This is Thomas' fourth visit to the DL in the past three years.

"It's pretty obvious that Frank tries to do more than the leg will let him do," A's head trainer Larry Davis said. "All he could do is instead of short term, it could turn into a 6-to-8 week thing. He had it before, it came back and the second time was worse than the first. The third time might be catastrophic. This is the best time medically to put him on the DL."

Definitely good timing, but the quad is a huge muscle and it was the second time he injured it. I would play it safe and bring him back slowly.

It will be interesting to see how the A's play without Frank these next couple of weeks.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 07:21 AM)
Definitely good timing, but the quad is a huge muscle and it was the second time he injured it. I would play it safe and bring him back slowly.

It will be interesting to see how the A's play without Frank these next couple of weeks.

They haven't lost since Frank went down.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
His walkoff tonight was a thing of beauty. Classic Frank right down to the cleared hips and line shot into the left centerfield stands, though in his hayday Frank probably would have hit that ball to dead left.

That was the best swing I think I've seen him take in a few years.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
That was the best swing I think I've seen him take in a few years.

Frank has been taking a lot of great swings lately, hitting balls on the screws almost every time up. He just missed another home run earlier in last night's game, and also hit two balls to the warning track against Detroit during their series. He's really locked in at the plate right now, and has been for several weeks. It's good to see him pounding the ball like this.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Boxscore shows that Frank was pinch hit for in the 4th inning in a scoreless game (at the time). Did Frank hurt himself again?

ESPN said he left the game with an illness

Oakland Athletics designated hitter Frank Thomas left Sunday's game against Boston in the fourth inning because of an unspecified illness.

Thomas, who returned from the disabled list on June 30, hit a line drive off the Green Monster in the second inning. But he lumbered to first base and wasn't able to take second, even though left fielder Manny Ramirez had trouble coming up with the carom.

Nick Swisher pinch hit for Thomas in the fourth.

Thomas, a 38-year-old two-time MVP, is hitting .243 with 19 homers and 48 RBIs.

Sounds like Konerko took him to dinner on Friday.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Boxscore shows that Frank was pinch hit for in the 4th inning in a scoreless game (at the time). Did Frank hurt himself again?

dizziness from the heat.

frank is batting .247 with 19 bombs... good to see him get back in the swing of things.