Official Day 1 Draft Thread

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
hes shorter 6-3 and has a more of a frame that he will add bulk.....mlb said the sox proabbly didnt expect him to be at 29 and couldnt resist taking him once he fell

Well good it looks like it was a value pick then. hopefully he will pan out.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
When do the Sox pick next? Also, where is Wes Hodges supposed to be picked around? I've seen him play a lot at GT, and he's someone I think will become a MLB player.

Hodges is a studly player and we hold the 29th pick of every round and I doubt Hodges is there. If he is, I'd put even money that we take him.

Working on a nice writeup on McCulloch right now though so I'm gonna dissapear for a bit.

6. Kyle McCulloch, rhp (National rank: 16)

School: Texas. Class: Jr.

Hometown: Houston

B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 185. Birthdate: 3/20/85.

Scouting Report: McCulloch's stuff isn't as sexy as the pitchers ahead of him on this list, though he's a better bet to reach his ceiling as a No. 3 or 4 starter than most. "He's a safe pick," a regional crosschecker said. "You know he's a big leaguer. Maybe you get Brad Radke out of him." The Longhorns initially signed McCulloch as a shortstop out of Houston power Bellaire High, where he played both ways but first emerged as an infielder. He's a good athlete for a pitcher and quite consistent. McCulloch's velocity has been down a little this year, as his fastball has sat at 88-90 mph, compared to 89-92 in 2005, when he won the deciding game of the College World Series. His best pitch is his plus changeup, and both his curveball and solid are effective if not spectacular. Early in the spring, he struggled when he relied too heavily on his secondary stuff, but righted himself when he returned to working off his fastball. Besides winning at premier high school and college programs, McCulloch also has proven himself against top summer competition. He held his own as a reliever in the Cape Cod League in 2004 and tied for the Team USA college team lead with four victories in 2005.

iirc....same school as chris young

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)

Scouting Report: McCulloch's stuff isn't as sexy as the pitchers ahead of him on this list, though he's a better bet to reach his ceiling as a No. 3 or 4 starter than most. "He's a safe pick," a regional crosschecker said. "You know he's a big leaguer. Maybe you get Brad Radke out of him." The Longhorns initially signed McCulloch as a shortstop out of Houston power Bellaire High, where he played both ways but first emerged as an infielder. He's a good athlete for a pitcher and quite consistent. McCulloch's velocity has been down a little this year, as his fastball has sat at 88-90 mph, compared to 89-92 in 2005, when he won the deciding game of the College World Series. His best pitch is his plus changeup, and both his curveball and solid are effective if not spectacular. Early in the spring, he struggled when he relied too heavily on his secondary stuff, but righted himself when he returned to working off his fastball. Besides winning at premier high school and college programs, McCulloch also has proven himself against top summer competition. He held his own as a reliever in the Cape Cod League in 2004 and tied for the Team USA college team lead with four victories in 2005.

So his fastball sits a 88-90. Nice he fits in well with our draft strategy.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)

Ya, thats where Young went.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Anyone got a feel on the signing ability Kyle McCulloch to a quick deal?

not sure who his agent is, but he was drafted by the mets outa high school and didnt sign then, but he was an 18th rounder, not a first...if the sox picked him, and judging by the fact that he doesnt have overpowering stuff....im gonna go out on a limb and say hell sign by the end of the week

supplemental round back under way...dodgers take preston mattingly....beato goes to the Os

mattingly is a huge shock...it is dons kid

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
Anyone got a feel on the signing ability of Kyle McCulloch to a quick deal?

I'd assume part of the reason the Sox are extra happy is that Texas was knocked out (big time upset) of the tourney over the weekend so we'll be able to get McCulloch in quickly (hopefully).

Of course the team will be careful with him and will probably piggy back him once he comes in.

I'm convinced the White Sox purposely drafted a Lance Broadway clone just to irritate me. ;) Why didn't they take Pedro Beato? I'll be sure to follow Beato's progress through Baltimore's minor league system, as I have with Carrillo.

Can anyone tell me who Minnesota drafted? I'm guessing it's a hard throwing, right hander with a plus slider who'll be dominating our lineup for years.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm convinced the White Sox purposely drafted a Lance Broadway clone just to irritate me. ;) Why didn't they take Pedro Beato? I'll be sure to follow Beato's progress through Baltimore's minor league system, as I have with Carrillo.

Can anyone tell me who Minnesota drafted? I'm guessing it's a hard throwing, right hander with a plus slider who'll be dominating our lineup for years.

They better trade one of these guys, because if we keep drafting clones of each other we will have no diversity in our rotation.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)

they took parmlee....HS OFer from california, i dont know much about him but whats inteh scouting report, but line drive hitter with a smooth lefthanded stroke...think ryan sweeney

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
They better trade one of these guys, because if we keep drafting clones of each other we will have no divserity in our rotation.

Or we like them because they develop quickly so we will be able to market them in a trade a lot more quick. Taking a project means you have a couple years till they are in AA (the point where guys really become marketable for the most part). Taking a guy like Broadway or McCulloch means they are in AA by the time they are eligible (assuming they stay healthy and aren't total busts) so they are immediately very valuable on the trade market.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
Or we like them because they develop quickly so we will be able to market them in a trade a lot more quick. Taking a project means you have a couple years till they are in AA (the point where guys really become marketable for the most part). Taking a guy like Broadway or McCulloch means they are in AA by the time they are eligible (assuming they stay healthy and aren't total busts) so they are immediately very valuable on the trade market.

yep not only are broadway and mcculloch ready to play at the middle levels of the minors, but htey are likely to put up good numbers, having played against great competition already...that will inflate their numbers, and thus their trade-ability