Official Day 1 Draft Thread

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Anybody know anything about this kid?

Has a lot of room to project, as he's only 5'11 170. His curveball from the video is absolute murder on lefties, has a huge two plane break.

Edwards is one of the top prep lefties out of Florida but doesn't have much velocity (still growing though) but he doesn't project to throw hard either. May move into the upper 80's, but he tops out at 90 and pitches in the mid 80's.

Has very good command of all 3 pitches (FB, Changeup and curve) and is a commit to the University of Georgia.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
All finesse type of guys. Interesting.

Our 2nd pick throws in the mid 90's.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
I worry about our drafting.

talked to a guy I know from the Sally League last night and he said that Kannapolis, which is something like 12 and 42, is the worst team he has seen in the league in six years and doesn't have a single big-league prospect.

At the same time, our AAA team dominates all comers.

I don't really blame the Sox for drafting finesse guys. Since when have we actually been able to develop power arms? The only power pitcher we've had in the last 5 years was a cast-off from the Angels organization (and now Thornton, who's from the Seattle organization).

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
I don't really blame the Sox for drafting finesse guys. Since when have we actually been able to develop power arms? The only power pitcher we've had in the last 5 years was a cast-off from the Angels organization (and now Thornton, who's from the Seattle organization).

We have had a couple of mid-90's pitchers. Honestly, the only real arm that has developed from our drafting under this regime is BMAC, who was sorta a reach.

Kind of wierd watching the videos of the last two picks. The lefty throws more over thr top and the righty throws more 3/4s. Usually it's the other way around. They both have quik motions and hide the ball well.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Kind of wierd watching the videos of the last two picks. The lefty throws more over thr top and the righty throws more 3/4s. Usually it's the other way around. They both have quik motions and hide the ball well.

where can I grab a link to those?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)

We tend to draft finesse guys that can be quick movers who we feel are good value while at the same time we pick up waived guys or guys with little value that are power pitchers and try to make the finishing touches to them (we have a few guys down in AA that the club picked up this off-season that got killer arms).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)

The way I think of it, our best pitchers are power pitchers. Don actually is great with power pitchers from what I've seen. There's also more leeway because if a finesee pitcher isn't pitching perfect, he'll give up a lot of hits in a hurry. Even Buehrle does it these days. I'm sick of the finesee pitcher crap. And no, a Miami prospect who barely gets to the mid 90's is not what I consider a power pitcher. We need to draft power pitchers at least some, not all so we won't have to keep trading for them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
We have had a couple of mid-90's pitchers. Honestly, the only real arm that has developed from our drafting under this regime is BMAC, who was sorta a reach.

Mac was taken in like the 17th round so I don't know how he's a reach.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
The way I think of it, our best pitchers are power pitchers. Don actually is great with power pitchers from what I've seen. There's also more leeway because if a finesee pitcher isn't pitching perfect, he'll give up a lot of hits in a hurry. Even Buehrle does it these days. I'm sick of the finesee pitcher crap. And no, a Miami prospect who barely gets to the mid 90's is not what I consider a power pitcher. We need to draft power pitchers at least some, not all so we won't have to keep trading for them.

Well, the Cubs tend to draft a TON of power pitchers. Funny -- the intelligent Cub fans who I see want it the other way around, more guys who know how to pitch, rather than guys who can hit 99.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
Well, the Cubs tend to draft a TON of power pitchers. Funny -- the intelligent Cub fans who I see want it the other way around, more guys who know how to pitch, rather than guys who can hit 99.

We are talking about Cubs and injuries. Think about that for a second. They go hand in hand. I'm not saying the Coop and Herm would make everyone great and make sure they never miss a game in their careers, but they would do alot better with their guys than they're doing currently.

From FutureSox on our 3rd Round Pick

• Justin Edwards, LHP - A 3rd round pick and one of the top prep pitchers in Florida, Edwards is a soft throwing lefty who has committed to the University of Georgia. Despite a lack of velocity (FB in the mid 80's and has topped out at 90), Edwards is considered a good prospect (ranked 108 by BA) and should gain a little velocity as his body fills (to move him into the upper 80's). Edwards wasn't drafted for his velocity, rather his command of his FB, a big overhand curve, and a good changeup.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
I worry about our drafting.

talked to a guy I know from the Sally League last night and he said that Kannapolis, which is something like 12 and 42, is the worst team he has seen in the league in six years and doesn't have a single big-league prospect.

Join the club