Who else is Sick of the Bad Defense/Play?

Hangar18

Last nite, with Irod on 1st, flyball to Lcenter, Mackowiak gets the ball for the out, but "forgets" someone

is on first. Irod tags up. :banghead

Mackowiak is noticably upset over his move, the crowd in the bleachers let him know. He then scores on a bloop single that Rodriguez just "Knew" Mack wasnt going to get, he never stopped running and Mack

decided to try for him at the plate, even though he had no chance, and compounded this blunder

and another guy gets to 2nd.

The "defense" measn more than just catching the ball. It's making throws to the cutoff man, playing heads up team ball to direct where throws should be made, it's being aggressive, etc, and I think the Sox have been playing some sloppy "D" lately. It cost us that game last night. You can't allow the other team more than three outs an inning, or let them run on you, take the extra base, etc.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
How about Pauly snoozing on that play and allowing a guy to score from 2nd?

I couldn't agree more !

We can pick on Brian Anderson for not hitting but I don't think he would have misplayed the ball allowing second base and may have cut the second one off faster allowing a real play at the plate.

What the hell was Paulie our team captain doing - picking his nose while the guy scored !

He was more worried about convincing the ump he caught is than making the play at the plate!

:fight

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
We can pick on Brian Anderson for not hitting but I don't think he would have misplayed the ball allowing second base and may have cut the second one off faster allowing a real play at the plate.

agreed. last night's defensive blunders were nauseating.

:puke

The defensive blunders pissed me off.

But our 18 game winning, world series pitching, pitcher needs to man the f*** up and stop giving up gopher balls at the clip he is hitting at. He will give up 40-50 dongs at his current rate. So much for a sinkerball pitcher.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
How about Pauly snoozing on that play and allowing a guy to score from 2nd?

Oh my, I totally forgot about that one. That was Ridiculous.

I was furious when that happened. This is what starts to happen when elements on your team

keep playing with their heads up their behinds. Other players start to get affected who might not normally be making mistakes like this. If Im Ozz, they wouldve been lit up for that.

As for Garland, YES, he needed to MAN UP and not allow all the nonsense in the field to affect him, but he did. Our "defense" let us/garland down big time. Garland has always been a head-case, someone that has to be catered to and kept an eye on, which is why hes a perfect #4 or #5 starter. Little things start to affect him and he loses his cool. Hes always been like that. Maybe for his starts, I put out the best defensive team out there. Mack everyday is doing something absentminded in center. Cintron doesnt have the arm/range of Uribe. Now were seeing the lack of a REAL CenterFielder is now affecting the Way Pods plays. These guys need to wake up and realize this is the AL, the league where mistakes will cost you.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
As for Garland, YES, he needed to MAN UP and not allow all the nonsense in the field to affect him, but he did. Our "defense" let us/garland down big time. Garland has always been a head-case, someone that has to be catered to and kept an eye on, which is why hes a perfect #4 or #5 starter. Little things start to affect him and he loses his cool. Hes always been like that. Maybe for his starts, I put out the best defensive team out there.

Agreed. Jon pitched well last night... right up the point where he gave up that second two-run dinger. That put the game out of reach. If Jon keeps giving up this many homers, he'll never be anything more than a #4.

But the (lack of) defense is what really killed us... and has been killing us.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
In other words, he pitched bad?

He pitched well enough to win the game, but the "Defense" let him down, which led to his folding like a card-table afterwards. I Know, he should pitch well regardless, but thats been his M.O. his career here.

He let the blunders/nonsense affect him .........

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
In other words, he pitched bad?

Well, he went 7 innings and gave up 6 earned runs. But if you account for the poor defense, only about 3 of those runs were his fault.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
Well, he went 7 innings and gave up 6 earned runs. But if you account for the poor defense, only about 3 of those runs were his fault.

I don't think defense cost him anything. If Mack makes the correct plays, Konerko's snoozing doesn't come into play at all, and there would have been no additional outs recorded. Rodriquez wouldn't have tagged up. Guillen wouldn't have been in postion to try and score. I was at the game, and Garland got hit hard again last night. He struck a few guys out for a change, but he was very fortunate not to give up 6 or 7 homers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
I don't think defense cost him anything. If Mack makes the correct plays, Konerko's snoozing doesn't come into play at all, and there would have been no additional outs recorded. Rodriquez wouldn't have tagged up. Guillen wouldn't have been in postion to try and score. I was at the game, and Garland got hit hard again last night. He struck a few guys out for a change, but he was very fortunate not to give up 6 or 7 homers.

The defense let runners advance when they shouldn't have twice in that inning and both of those runners scored. That certainly didn't help. But, of course, the two-run homer was all him and it pretty much put the game out of reach.

You're dead-on about Judy getting hit hard last night, though - two 2-run bombs and a few very deep flyouts. I thought that the one to CF that Mack caught against the wall was gone. He looked very good at times, but he got killed when he missed (pretty much the story of his season).

Edited by WCSox