Toughest Athlete?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
If your talking wrestlers, can anyone beat the grittiness of Mankind Mick Foley?

Also, from what I have read and seen, Ty Cobb was one BAMF. Others that come to mind: Pete Rose, Ronnie Lott, Jack Tatum, Jack Lambert, Brett Favre, and Deacon Jones.

Pain pill Brett Favre?

Your other pick Deacon Jones would laugh at that favre pick, he would laugh at any quarterback getting picked. I got a chance to talk to Deacon a few years back( he was in town for mike ditkas golf tournament and I was a bartending) and he HATES quarterbacks. He was explaining to me how much the league has changed since his day to protect the quarterback. Deacon was a bad dude. He blurted out Mother f***er every few words, he also had deformed fingers ,probably from his playing days. :o

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:37 PM)
I guess I'm going to go with Cal Ripken. Pound for pound John Stockton was pretty tough too.

Get out of here with those pansy picks. Iron men, HA. Dick Butkus would rip them a part, spit at them and curse out the next 3 generations of their future families.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 12:06 AM)
This automatically eliminates Butkus from the argument.

kifmNetworkNBCHang_Time-resized200.jpg

The cast of "Hang Time"

you need a history lesson son. I really hope you are not a bear fan.

Take this quote from a former NFL player.

http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00014131.html

"If I had a choice, I'd sooner go one-on-one with a grizzly bear," former Green Bay Packers running back MacArthur Lane said. "I prayed that I could get up every time Butkus hit me."

check this out

But Butkus didn't need any seasoning. He was an instant hit. Bill George, who had played 13 years for the Bears and was the incumbent middle linebacker on his way to the Hall of Fame, didn't have any doubts when he saw Butkus perform for the first time. "The second I saw him on the field (at training camp) I knew my playing days were over," George said. "Nobody ever looked that good before or since."
Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
Pain pill Brett Favre?

Your other pick Deacon Jones would laugh at that favre pick, he would laugh at any quarterback getting picked. I got a chance to talk to Deacon a few years back( he was in town for mike ditkas golf tournament and I was a bartending) and he HATES quarterbacks. He was explaining to me how much the league has changed since his day to protect the quarterback. Deacon was a bad dude. He blurted out Mother f***er every few words, he also had deformed fingers ,probably from his playing days. :o

Get out of here with those pansy picks. Iron men, HA. Dick Butkus would rip them a part, spit at them and curse out the next 3 generations of their future families.

check this out

It's a joke, son. Take it easy.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
Pain pill Brett Favre?

check this out

Man, someone's a little insensitive when it comes to Butkus....

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
Man, someone's a little insensitive when it comes to Butkus....

sorry... as a hard core bear fan, some of us have to protect our history. It's our part as fans. It's a damn shame how sayers and Butkus had their jerseys retired on a rainy halloween night getting blown out by green bay.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
It's a joke, son. Take it easy.

:cheers no harm, no foul

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
Pain pill Brett Favre?

check this out

That's why I said he's one of the best I've ever seen (Earl Campbell just quickly popped in my head, that dude was just insane, ran over everybody and now can barely walk, if that.) Mankind (Foley) is also very, very deserving.

Steve McNair is a total stud, I just remember watching the super bowl when the Titans played the Rams and he shook off two Rams lineman and completed a thirty yard pass. Plus he always plays with some pretty serious injuries, the guy is never 100% healthy.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
I don't get the wrestler love here. Obviously some of what goes on turns out to be real and you have to be tough and in shape to do it, but really wrestling is mostly fake s*** going on between juiced up freaks.

Fake really isn't a good word to use for wrestling, scripted works out better because those guys get the s*** beat out of them every day. You're right about one thing though, for the most part they are juiced up freaks but most of them are tough as nails.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
I go with UFC fighters like Matt Hughes or Chuck Lidell. These guys are bad asses.

hughes05.jpg

Yup, two more very good choices there.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Another guy I can think of is Ken Shamrock. That guy is as tough as it gets.

He's old now. Obviously the guy is still very tough but he's definitely not the fighter he once was. He's had his ass handed to him the last few times I've seen him fight.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
Steve Largent. Or Dick Butkus.

And I'm sorry but anyone in "professional" wrestling can't possibly be considered. Its stage combat, not sport.

I invite you to get do some "stage combat" with Mick Foley.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
I invite you to get do some "stage combat" with Mick Foley.

Oh I'm not saying I'd want to get in a fight with some wrestler. I just don't think what they do is a sport. Boxing is a sport, and even that UFC stuff is sport - because there is actual competition. Professional wrestling is just entertainment, like an action movie for example. There are some tough actors too... but they are still actors.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
Oh I'm not saying I'd want to get in a fight with some wrestler. I just don't think what they do is a sport. Boxing is a sport, and even that UFC stuff is sport - because there is actual competition. Professional wrestling is just entertainment, like an action movie for example. There are some tough actors too... but they are still actors.

Actor or not, the pain is real. Watch the video's that someone posted. Getting thrown 16 feet off a cage and landing on a table. Getting slammed 10 feet through a fence. Getting tossed on thumb-tacks 3 times. So what if it's planned, that doesn't make what their doing painless.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
Actor or not, the pain is real. Watch the video's that someone posted. Getting thrown 16 feet off a cage and landing on a table. Getting slammed 10 feet through a fence. Getting tossed on thumb-tacks 3 times. So what if it's planned, that doesn't make what their doing painless.

The thread was about toughness. I am sure there are tough guys in the wrestling circuit. but I also think that its a lot easier to handle scripted, rehearsed, known events (which are designed to reduce the chance of injury), than it is to put yourself on the line in unkown, rough situations. That is why I don't see those wrestlers ever being as tough (in my book) as the tough players in a sport like football, or rugby, etc.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
The thread was about toughness. I am sure there are tough guys in the wrestling circuit. but I also think that its a lot easier to handle scripted, rehearsed, known events (which are designed to reduce the chance of injury), than it is to put yourself on the line in unkown, rough situations. That is why I don't see those wrestlers ever being as tough (in my book) as the tough players in a sport like football, or rugby, etc.

Can you really plan broken jaws? Ripped biceps? Concussions?

Professional weightlifters don't expect 500 pounds to break their knees...does that make them tough?

Edited by SoxFan1

Gordie Howe was a badass motherf***er.

His toughness is underappreciated because of his scoring.

He didn't fight much because no one wanted to fight him. They knew about him and showed the respect.

Once in a while a rookie like Keith Magnuson would man up and test Howe, and get dismantled.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
Can you really plan broken jaws? Ripped biceps? Concussions?

Professional weightlifters don't expect 500 pounds to break their knees...does that make them tough?

Forgive my dark clouds here, but I have a feeling that many of those things don't happen nearly as often as they lead people to believe. I am sure injuries occur, but I am also sure that many of the injuries seen on TV are no more real than the rest of what goes on.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Forgive my dark clouds here, but I have a feeling that many of those things don't happen nearly as often as they lead people to believe. I am sure injuries occur, but I am also sure that many of the injuries seen on TV are no more real than the rest of what goes on.

I can understand where you could get this idea but I would say 75% of the injuries you see are real. Well, back in the day they were.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)

You can definitely tell which injuries are real and which are staged by the reaction of the opponent, referee, camera crew and announcers.

When an injury is staged, the announcer will usually hype it up and the camera zooms in for pained reaction shots. The ref will step in and ask the "injured" wrestler if he can continue and the opponent will either gloat to the crowd or move in for more "damage".

When it's real, there is usually confusion on the part of the cameramen and announcers, followed by either long camera shots or commercials. The ref looks to the back (where Vince or his TNA counterpart) control the backstage area for help, or calls the ringside doctor into the ring. The opponent stops what he's doing and is usually unsure how to continue.

I'm sure there have been some "fake real" injuries (where the participants mimic the common response to real injuries) but you can tell the difference, because wrestlers aren't good actors (see the entire film history of Hulk Hogan as proof of this fact).