Quest Tec UmpireTechnology

Gregory Pratt

The elevated pitch counts and stunted innings pitched totals coming from the White Sox rotation over the past four starts are very uncharacteristic of one of the most efficient starting fives in all of baseball.

Javier Vazquez had the lowest pitch count of the quartet, with 110, but he only lasted 5 2/3 innings. Jose Contreras hit 120, Jon Garland reached a rotation-high of 124 and Mark Buehrle exited Saturday with 118 pitches, after becoming the first White Sox starter to work into the eighth since Contreras did so against the Cubs on May 21. Only two White Sox starters went over 120 pitches in all of 2005.

When asked for a reason to describe the rise in pitch count, Buehrle pointed a finger at modern baseball technology.

"I think it's called Quest Tec," Buehrle said. "You see finesse pitchers struggling around baseball without getting the corners.

"I'm the most finesse guy on this team. I need my corners and those close calls. With that Quest Tec, it's no good."

Quest Tec, a device designed to give baseball a more uniform strike zone by tracking each pitch , was not in place at U.S. Cellular Field in 2005 , but is this season. But White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper won't lay the blame for his rotation's recent funk completely on this particular tool.

Apparently it's something for umpires to use to watch the corners? What is it, and how does it work, and is it used in-game?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
It's a system of cameras placed in select stadiums used to grade umpires.

Curt Schilling could explain better.

Hahaha, I read about that.

But I guess it's not used in-game, then, but afterward to punish umpires?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)
Hahaha, I read about that.

But I guess it's not used in-game, then, but afterward to punish umpires?

Yes, it is a tool for grading umpires. The argument is that umpires have tightened their strike zones in and out because of repercussions of the grading system used with Qeustech.

Just like what Rex said it is a grading system the system which I believe are located down the 1st and 3rd base lines and it generates a CD which gives the umps and the higher up's the results. MLB also gives 2 inches on the corners. The system is only used in like 10 of the parks and Curt Schilling took a bat to one here in Zona.

Basically, what you have in Questec is an automated system that broadcasts every pitch to a guy up in a booth at the stadium. That guy watches the pitches on the screen, and records whether he thinks the pitch is a strike or a ball. That guy's numbers are compared with the actual balls & strike calls, and a %age of correct calls is calculated. Those numbers are then used to grade umpire performance and to choose umpires for the playoffs.

Here's a BP interview with a Questec operator.

I'm probably in the minority, but I like a defined strike zone. I can't stand when an announcer says a particular pitcher needs a certain pitch to be called a strike. To me, it's right in the rules of the game. To get a called strike, you need to throw it through the strike zone.

I just want the umpires to get the call right, and to be consistant

I'm not a fan, but I'm also not a fan of Buehrle or anyone else for that matter making excuses. Pretty soon they are going to tell me that it was ques tec that was hanging those sliders for Politte.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
I'm probably in the minority, but I like a defined strike zone. I can't stand when an announcer says a particular pitcher needs a certain pitch to be called a strike. To me, it's right in the rules of the game. To get a called strike, you need to throw it through the strike zone.

I just want the umpires to get the call right, and to be consistant

If your around the zone and earn the respect of an ump, thats part of the game and you should get a little more forgiving of a zone. Just like if your all over the freaking place, you deserve to get freaking squeezed.

Remember when Greg Maddux pitched at the Cell and he wouldn't get a single call that he would usually get. If a pitcher has been in the league long enough and has earned the respect of Umpires he should get some of the close calls. I mean there are some instances where Thome will take a pitch that I swear is a strike and it will be called a ball.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
I read somewhere that parks that have Questec, are parks that Greg Maddux magically isnt that great in.

Seems those pitches way outside arent called strikes anymore ....... any truth to that?

Well, let's look at his average over the past three eyars during the Questec era in a few parks that have it.

In Shea Staudium he has a 3.00 era

In Minute Maid Park he has a 3.44 era

In Miller Park he has a 2.77 era

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tching3&three=1

So, I don't know where you read that...but its wrong.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Well, let's look at his average over the past three eyars during the Questec era in a few parks that have it.

:cheers

Haven't you heard? Maddux sucks -- he has for years now -- and he only stays alive because the umpires always give him the calls.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)

Thats interesting. Are those the only parks with Questec? Are there stats for this year?

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Thats interesting. Are those the only parks with Questec? Are there stats for this year?

It's no secret that Maddux got 6 inches off the plate for most of his career, and Questec isn't going to help matters.

However, I look at a guy like Tom Glavine who is having a great year...and it makes you wonder how much Questec really does effect the game.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
It's no secret that Maddux got 6 inches off the plate for most of his career, and Questec isn't going to help matters.

However, I look at a guy like Tom Glavine who is having a great year...and it makes you wonder how much Questec really does effect the game.

Hyperbole? If he were getting 6 inches off the corner he'd of thrown about 10 perfect games by now.