OFFICIAL GO CUBBIES THIS WEEKEND THREAD!!!

whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
I'm disappointed in all the references to them being the "Cubbies." I was under the impression that that was a term of endearment. Perhaps you're all secretly Cubs fans?

I make no secret of my bias. For this weekend, I want the Northsiders to succeed.

I actually use "Cubbies" as a sarcastic term since all the idiot fans tend to call them that, wheras the 2 or 3 dozen good Cub fans out there just say "Cubs". That's just me though.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
What happened to all the people who always told other Sox fans to root for "our division" when the Twins were in the playoffs? According to their logic, we should be rooting for the Tigers right now.

As Rowand said, that is completely different. We're still fighting for a playoff spot, and every single loss for the Tigers helps the Sox out. When the Twins were in the playoffs, we were already done. I mean, I really have no clue how you can compare the two.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
If you can't root for the Cubs to beat the Tigers this weekend, then you need to get your priorities straight.

gmafb easy for you to say up in jersey

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
pfffffffffffffffft

Its freaking June and were what, a game and a half back :rolly

I aint rooting for the f***ing Cubs

carl. Thank you man.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:34 AM)
gmafb easy for you to say up in jersey

So you are saying that the Cubs losing is more important than the Tigers, who are in first place in the AL Central, losing? Get real. I don't really care what you think about the Cubs, but hating them should be second to seeing the Sox succeed.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
So you are saying that the Cubs losing is more important than the Tigers, who are in first place in the AL Central, losing? Get real. I don't really care what you think about the Cubs, but hating them should be second to seeing the Sox succeed.

I think you don't understand what I mean. I am not going to say GO CUBBIES. Ever. Unless the words TO HELL are attached.

I could care less if the tigers sweep. You are worried only about the W-L record. What I worry about is internal . Things you probably don't 'get' living on the east coast. See, Chicago is a city with 2.8 million people. 1.4 or half, don't give a s***. You are going to have 200 thousand DIE HARD sox fans, 200 thousand DIE HARD cub fans, ok. The rest are casual fans. We are dipping into the casual chicago fans. This has to do for 2 reasons The Sox winning, The Cubs losing. So if I want the cubs to lose, who cares. I don't think you were around when the sox almost moved south, were you around when the sox were in the same breath as montreal in attendence? Were you anywhere near when cub fans argued that we should get contracted?

I will not root for the cubs. Though, I won't be as disapointed as usual when the cubs win.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
It would be pretty ironic if Barett was finally (really what makes this take so long?) suspended just in time for the Tigers series.

Having a Sox player get punched in the face end up costing his own team....some MLB rules are just stupid. As a Tigers fan I certainly don't like Pierzynski but the guy punched him in the face he should have been serving his suspension weeks ago.

I agree with you that it would be ironic if Barrett were to be benched for these games against the tigers and I think the rules are stupid aswell. But I don't understand why people hate Pierzynski. When he has nothing to do with him personally. Like take Angel fans for example, they hate him because he just made a heads up play to first. I mean if the ball hit the ground or not is the umps call and the ump should be at fault. So I don't see why Angels fans hate him personally for something he has no control over. Everybody wants to see AJ get beaned by someone. He was voted the most that they would like to see get hit. I remember when Escobar hit him and all these Angels fans think justice has been served. I don't know why AJ has become the most hated player in the MLB with Barry Bonds in second. I honestly have no clue what he did to piss off every player in the majors and every fan. From what I can tell all he has been doing is playing good heads up baseball. AJ plays to win thats what I like about him. He will do anything to win and I he plays with a certain tenacity that resembles a lot like the way Carlton Fisk plays ball.

Edited by WinningUgly85

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
Prior may be back Sunday. Maddux and Zambrano got pushed up a day to face Houston. Makes sense cubs need to beat Houston more than the Tigers. 'Z' would've pitched Friday.

ALSO

Barrett's hearing is Friday and he may miss the next week (Det, Clev, Min). The Cubs may have everyone back after this.

The cubs may go 1-6 if he misses 7 games and they face CC, Johan, Liriano and the Detroit staff in general without Barrett. We does miss Pulojs and Clemens though.......

Go Cubs

I bet the pitchers do a lot better with blanco in there... its no coincidence that the last time cubs pitching was unhittible was 2003 (miller was the catcher then)

Cubs should be able to give the Tigers a good run for there money... and the Sox will pay em back and crush all the chitty teams in their division.

To you folks so tortured over the prospect of either of these teams winning - look at the bright side. You get to see one of them lose :D .

Anyway, if you think being a Sox fan is a tough situation right now, imagine being a diehard Cub fan having to root for your team to win, knowing it could usher the Sox back into first place. :o

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
To you folks so tortured over the prospect of either of these teams winning - look at the bright side. You get to see one of them lose :D .

Anyway, if you think being a Sox fan is a tough situation right now, imagine being a diehard Cub fan having to root for your team to win, which could usher the Sox back into first place. :o

SFF

Tell me about it. They are holding a water cooler meeting here trying to determine how they want to root this weekend. Good grief.. the thought of WANTING my team to loose reaks of triple ply industrial strenght tin foil. :bang

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:26 AM)
Pitching match-ups:

Friday: Robertson vs Rusch

Saturday: Verlander vs Marmol

Sunday: Rogers vs Marshall

Any questions?

The Tigers don't hit lefties all that well, and Marmol has REALLY good stuff. The Cubs will manage to at least be able to avoid being swept IMO, but I'd guess the Tigers take 2 of 3.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
The Tigers don't hit lefties all that well

According to MLB.com, those guys are 14-5 against LHP. The bulk of their regular lineup is all righties except for a SH and a leadoff LH.

Oh well, we'll see what happens this weekend.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
That's right, Cubs vs. Tigers this weekend. I dislike the Cubs as much as everybody, but for 3 days, I'm a BIG Cub fan. I want to see everybody in here (that includes YOU Hangar and Cuck the Fubs).

Hehehehe, this weekend will filter out who is a Sox fan and who is a Cub hater that just kinda likes the Sox on the side. :D

Go Cubs! They can't lose them all (-- can they?), and it's time for a winning streak at Wrigley!

I actually root for the Cubs to win every so often just because I feel so sorry for the players. Most of them deserve better. Is it just me or does Jerry Hairston Jr. look *much* happier these days, even in the 105-degree heat of Texas? :lol:

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
The Tigers don't hit lefties all that well, and Marmol has REALLY good stuff. The Cubs will manage to at least be able to avoid being swept IMO, but I'd guess the Tigers take 2 of 3.

I don't know much about Carmel or whatever his name is. I do know the Cubs have no chance against Verlander.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:26 AM)
Pitching match-ups:

Friday: Robertson vs Rusch

Saturday: Verlander vs Marmol

Sunday: Rogers vs Marshall

Any questions?

I thought it was announced Prior was coming back this weekend. Possible start on Sunday. was i hearing things?

anyhoo, >gulp:sweep:

QUOTE(T R U @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
pfffffffffffffffft

Its freaking June and were what, a game and a half back :rolly

I aint rooting for the f***ing Cubs

^^^^^^ I agree with this. I am also not rooting for the Tigers. If we just keep winning our own games, it doesn't matter what the rest do.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I don't know much about Carmel or whatever his name is. I do know the Cubs have no chance against Verlander.

It's going to be hot with the wind blowing out. Hit it high and watch it fly, and on those types of days (which it will be all 3 games of this series), anything can happen.