Heads Attendance Update

Heads22

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
I started this project in 2005 to see how the attendance had progressed over the season. Now I plan on keeping up with it this year as well.

Those 40000+ games in October helped last year. :P

Interesting. Its been a long long long time since I saw anything remotely about Attendance.

Heres another interesting fact (Note that this WASNT played up in the media either)

Last Wednesday, the SOX went over 1,000,000 people in Attendance (oops, A word)

the fastest in Club History. Tells you 1. Just how far this team has come, 2. Sox Fans were always

an untapped market and under-marketed before

Congratulations White Sox

Edited by Hangar18

Great graph Heads, nice job.

The other interesting fact is our exact per game average right now is at 34,615 (which is going to go up obviously). Now keeping in mind that we don't jam more than 39,300 (and a couple dozen in change) into the stadium for any RS games now, our attendance to capacity ratio is damn good. Using 39,300 as the capacity number for mathematics sake, the stadium is on average filled at 88.1 percent to capacity per game. That number is mind boggling as an average for us, I thought I'd never see the day (and that number should be over 90 percent by the end of the year).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Interesting. Its been a long long long time since I saw anything remotely about Attendance.

Heres another interesting fact (Note that this WASNT played up in the media either)

Last Wednesday, the SOX went over 1,000,000 people in Attendance (oops, A word)

the fastest in Club History. Tells you 1. Just how far this team has come, 2. Sox Fans were always

an untapped market and under-marketed before

Congratulations White Sox

Um...It was metioned in the White Sox notebook in last wednesday's Sun-times

The crowd of 37,612 pushed the White Sox's attendance to the 1 million mark through 30 home dates. That's the quickest the White Sox have reached 1 million in franchise history

As my dad would say: If it had teeth it would have bit ya!

But I guess that happens when you just count the articles and you don't read them. ;)

Edited by RibbieRubarb

A lot of games in the last month that were filled to capacity had an announced paid attendance of 37,000. Apparently they don't count the comp tix, even though they were in attendance. So the current avg attendance of 34,615 looks that much more impressive!

I may be wrong, we'll never know, but I think if there were no obstructive poles in the UD, many more games would be sold out. I wish they had never built those poles in the UD. I've been checking ticketmaster and noticed at row 12, anywhere in the UD, it says "Seats may be obstructed/limited view". Is this correct? Are the poles really at row 12.. I thought they were much higher. In any case, this definitely prevents a lot of sellouts. For the next homestand, only 3 are guaranteed to sell out. The Wed, Fri, and Sunday games have stalled in sales because only available tix are "obstructed". Ticketmaster should remove that line! :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
I started this project in 2005 to see how the attendance had progressed over the season. Now I plan on keeping up with it this year as well.

Those 40000+ games in October helped last year. :P

Oh my god an attendance thread...If this was WSI there would have to be an FBI style blanket thrown over this topic and suspensions would be handed down.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
Is it mathmatically possible? With the lower capacity, I don't think they will be able to sell enough tickets to push the average up high enough to get over the 2.9 million mark.

It is possible - slim, but possible.

And I shouldn't say assured because I don't whole heartedly believe it. I said before 2.5 and I thought that was pushing it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
Is it mathmatically possible? With the lower capacity, I don't think they will be able to sell enough tickets to push the average up high enough to get over the 2.9 million mark.

They'll have to average about 36,000 a game. If the current average is at 34,615 then they are damn close. They haven't even played the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals or Astros yet...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:23 AM)
They'll have to average about 36,000 a game. If the current average is at 34,615 then they are damn close. They haven't even played the Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals or Astros yet...

Which means they pretty much have to sell out every game the rest of the way to push the average up to over 36K. I know we still have some good teams coming in, but we still do have teams like KC to play as well.

Even for the good teams coming in, like for the next homestand, 3 games have only sold about 33K so far, and might not sell out (Wed vs StL, Fri vs Hou, Sun vs Hou). The avg might get close to 36K at the end of the summer, and then we'll see it dip to 34-35K to end out the season, bringing in 2.8 million. Very impressive! :cheers

Edited by SouthSidePride05

• 2 weeks later...

Average now at 35,124.

Need to average 37,911 to hit 3 million.

Add in 7 sellouts (Today and 6 against Yankees and Red Sox).

Then need to average

37,602 for 3 million

34,824 for 2.9 million

Both doable.

Through August Sox have 32 home games. 12 weekend (Non Red Sox or Yankees), 6 Red Sox or Yankees.

September has 11 home games 6 of which our weekend games against Cleveland, Seattle and Detroit. If we are in a pennant race then those games will do very well.

I think we will hit 3 million.

Actually, to be accurate, you need to average 37,038 per game for a season to nose ahead of the 3 million mark for an 81 game home schedule, not 37,911. Going into tonight, we have an average of 35,125 through 39 games, so we need to get the average up 1913 more per game in the last 42 home games to get over 3 million. It's possible I think, but would be very hard to do.