Saw Jermaine Dye recently .....

Hangar18

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
I'll never forget him about falling off of the stage at Soxfest in 2000 when I told Cal Eldred he was the most popular guy in Chicago after being aquired for Jaime Navarro. He kept laughing and teasing Eldred the whole rest of the time they signed, calling him "Mr Popularity"

I do believe Cal and his "screw" still hold that nickname. :lolhitting

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
I was at a game in Toronto in '98 and met Ray Durham in the SkyDome bar. Very cool guy, very funny.

I knew some people who saw Ray in a bar after a game on the road somewhere. The people said they were the only real "group" of SOX Fans in the place, it was crowded, and that Durham noticed them

and chatted with them and took pictures. They said he also bought a couple rounds of drinks for the whole table, I thought that was very cool of him

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
I knew some people who saw Ray in a bar after a game on the road somewhere. The people said they were the only real "group" of SOX Fans in the place, it was crowded, and that Durham noticed them

and chatted with them and took pictures. They said he also bought a couple rounds of drinks for the whole table, I thought that was very cool of him

I happened to be sitting at a large table with about six other Sox fans and Ray definitely seemed happy to see us there... and not in a fake, PR sort of way. Seemed like a guinely nice guy. Caruso was there as well, but he didn't have much to say.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
I happened to be sitting at a large table with about six other Sox fans and Ray definitely seemed happy to see us there... and not in a fake, PR sort of way. Seemed like a guinely nice guy. Caruso was there as well, but he didn't have much to say.

He was probably high as a kite at the time.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)

High and hungry no doubt. :lol:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
He was probably high as a kite at the time.

LMAO!! GMTA!! :cheers

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Haha, nearly word for word. I guess his reputation precedes him. :lol:

Care to elaborate?? I never knew Caruso was a fan of the sticky green. Maybe I was just absent that day?? I suppose no surprise, wasn't there a poll a couple years ago that estimated that over 60% of major leaguers toke??

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Care to elaborate?? I never knew Caruso was a fan of the sticky green. Maybe I was just absent that day?? I suppose no surprise, wasn't there a poll a couple years ago that estimated that over 60% of major leaguers toke??

I'm not sharing stories, but yes he was a big fan.

Um, let's clear up a few things here. First of all, whoever said that WSI'ers coming here are "Eurotrash" now that EuroDisney has closed, guess what? That's where I came from. Am I trash? I suffered the same fate--without getting into it as I'm sure the moderators are watching--and was stunned that I got banned.

But people welcomed me here with open arms and I've been here since. I would suggest we do the same for the people who come here from there--or should I say flee there for here. That's what made this place feel right.

If you don't like Hangar's media threads, then don't read them. Maybe he can flag them as such so you won't waste your time. Otherwise I'd like to see a little more hospitality here for new posters and not the sort of secularism that makes places other than this such a drag.

On to Hangar's point about Hawk trying to say how great Comiskey was before the renovations--you're right: he's full of s***. The park SUCKED until they fixed it up and put the roof on--I HATED it. It was sterile, faceless, ugly and even moreso considering that everybody else was building new "classic" type parks and we ended up with that monstronsity.

That said, I love it now. Love the way it looks inside and out. Perfectly happy. And cheers to Reinsdorf for not being stubborn and realizing the original design was a mistake. How rare is it that somebody would spend the money (ok, U.S. Cellular's money) to simply make a change in aesthetics?

Hawk will rarely criticize the organization, as anybody who's been to Soxfest knows, LMAO.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Um, let's clear up a few things here. First of all, whoever said that WSI'ers coming here are "Eurotrash" now that EuroDisney has closed, guess what? That's where I came from. Am I trash? I suffered the same fate--without getting into it as I'm sure the moderators are watching--and was stunned that I got banned.

But people welcomed me here with open arms and I've been here since. I would suggest we do the same for the people who come here from there--or should I say flee there for here. That's what made this place feel right.

If you don't like Hangar's media threads, then don't read them. Maybe he can flag them as such so you won't waste your time. Otherwise I'd like to see a little more hospitality here for new posters and not the sort of secularism that makes places other than this such a drag.

heh heh. There seems to be alot of us refugees here now, heh heh. I like how some on that site snicker at the number of us who are here now in a condescending tone, as if we were banished from the big leagues to AAA or something, I dont really care for that. I do know some of the regulars here are pretty guarded about this mass influx of new people, and I can understand. Bunches of people get banned/treated poorly and show up here as if this is "2nd choice", Im sorry it looks like that. But some of you took the time to welcome me and the others (and knew the circumstances) so THANKS MUCH and I promise to contribute help make being here fun and interesting. For the others, I understand I'll have to "earn" my stripes here and I understand that and I'll try not to get mad right away, give me me (and everyone else) a chance, it will be worth it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
1 mod previously asked for this crap NOT to be posted.. now a second one has. How many more will it take...?

10-4. I understand completely. The same policy goes over there as well.

However, I don't seem to be alone. Many people from the other site have came here and will come here due to the insane power trip those guys are on.

I don't mean to cause any trouble, we're all Sox fans. But I come here and I see hundreds of posters ripping on a genuinely nice guy (from what I've heard). Steff saying stuff is one thing, because she knows him personally (I'm assuming you're the same Steff from WSI...if not...I will be pretty embarassed. hehe). But for all these posters to rip on a guy who was really respected at WSI...it doesn't make this site look very good.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
WOOOHOOOO! GOOD FOR YOU!!

Now, seriously, if you have stories to tell like that, keep it to a PM. I don't care what's going on over there, and neither does just about everyone else here.

Hmm.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
I couldve swore I saw a WS Ring on the guys hand (on the steering wheel).

You've really got a good eye, when I'm driving on the Ryan I'm happy if I'm even aware of all the vehicles around me, much less noticing rings on the drivers of the other drivers!

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Steff saying stuff is one thing, because she knows him personally (I'm assuming you're the same Steff from WSI...if not...I will be pretty embarassed. hehe). But for all these posters to rip on a guy who was really respected at WSI...it doesn't make this site look very good.

I never liked it over there ....... dont like it here, but Im new, so I'll put up with it for now :cheers

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Heres a quick tidbit I thought Id share with everyone. Late afternoon on Saturday, we were driving on the Ryan northbound just past 31st, when to my right, I happened to look over to a guy on my right passing and when I couldve swore I saw a WS Ring on the guys hand (on the steering wheel). Sped up a bit and took a look at the guy, who now took a quick glance to his left, and it was Jermaine Dye! I laughed and gave him the thumbs up, he smiled. I happened to be wearing my SOX jacket, so I pointed to it and he gave us an even bigger smile and nodded his head. Thought that was pretty funny ........

You should have yelled to him how you spent all of last year screaming that he should be traded and the only reason the Sox signed him was because he came cheaper than getting a good RF. Isn't that how you felt about him? :huh