Was Guillen Out Of Line Last Night?

aboz56

Was Ozzie Guillen Out Of Line Last Night?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. For How He Dealt With Sean Tracey

• Yes, Absolutely
    • No, He Was Right

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
"We" can survive 5 games without AJ? Glad you're going to help out!

You're assuming a few things, with IMO no basis for the assumptions. First off you assume that AJ would get a 5-game suspension. What if he got a 10-game suspension?

You're assuming Widger will be able to play 5 games, that he won't get injured. If he were to get hurt, the Sox would be without a catcher. Um, does the team really want to bring up a AAA catcher in June or July to play some really important games? You may want to, but I doubt that Ken Williams and Ozzie do. That's an assumption on my part.

As a long-time Sox fan, I don't *want* a team made up of irascible hotheads who do stuff like charge the mound. I want them to recognize that there are a-holes in the game, like Padilla and Carlos Zambrano (two that spring to mind) and to NOT play into the stupid games that those a-holes start. Every team in the league, and especially in the division, is out to get the Sox this year. The good teams are out to get them by beating them in ballgames; the losers are out to get them with the kind of crap that Padilla pulled. Being a target goes with being a World Series Champion, and the measure of a repeat champion team is how well they deal with it *and keep on playing winning baseball*.

I also want, as a fan, to see the manager take charge of every situation in which one of his players is dissed or harmed. I want the manager to determine an appropriate course of action and implement it.

Don Cooper said last night that this thing isn't over, and that Texas plays at the Cell once more this year. They do. We'll see then what happens, and it better not be AJ getting tossed out of any games.

I think that is a fair response. But AJ can also get hurt by continuing to be the target. And if a future beaning broke a bone in his hand or arm, it would cost us a lot more than 5 games. (Of course he could hurt his hand punching Padilla in the nose too.)

At this point, I'm not advocating taking any further revenge other than to keep playing winning baseball. I think that is the best revenge anyway.

But if someone targets us as blatantly as Padilla did, I don't think we can always just shrug it off, and I don't think sending out a rookie you know is going back to AAA after the game to do the dirty work is the proper response. We have responded effectively to the Padilla-esque nonsense in the past. We didn't do very well in responding to it this time (at least not within the same game).

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniBob72 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
Uggie and his buddies attacked some guys with machettes and Ozzie defended him. Perhaps I should cut him some slack since he's friends with Urbina. However, if a friend of mine goes after someone with a machette, I reconsider my relationship with the guy.

ALLEGEDLY

His story is plausible when you take into consideration the fact that most of Venezuela is the ghetto, with a lot of people looking for any way to get free cash out of the few people who have it...Unless every single ballplayer from Venezuela is lying about it.

Edited by Contreras' Crew

QUOTE(Contreras @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
ALLEGEDLY

His story is plausible when you take into consideration the fact that most of Venezuela is the ghetto, with a lot of people looking for any way to get free cash out of the few people who have it...Unless every single ballplayer from Venezuela is lying about it.

I think you are confused. I have no doubt that his mother was kidnapped. Below is a link relating the incident I am refering to. It isn't CNN or the NY Times, but it is short, brief, to the point, and jibes with what I already know about it.

http://www.hiphopmusic.com/inane/archives/...t_steal_fr.html

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
I think that is a fair response. But AJ can also get hurt by continuing to be the target. And if a future beaning broke a bone in his hand or arm, it would cost us a lot more than 5 games. (Of course he could hurt his hand punching Padilla in the nose too.)

At this point, I'm not advocating taking any further revenge other than to keep playing winning baseball. I think that is the best revenge anyway.

But if someone targets us as blatantly as Padilla did, I don't think we can always just shrug it off, and I don't think sending out a rookie you know is going back to AAA after the game to do the dirty work is the proper response. We have responded effectively to the Padilla-esque nonsense in the past. We didn't do very well in responding to it this time (at least not within the same game).

I agree with you, and at least in retrospect, the move to use Tracey to even the score -- if that was the intention -- wasn't a very good move, but it might have been what Ozzie saw as his best available move at the time.

Ozzie's comments since then, that he expects that his players will answer any and all future such incidents, read *to me* like Ozzie saying quite clearly that ANY time a Sox player gets hit from now on, the pitcher in the game has a duty to hit back. If Vasquez had done that after the first time AJ was hit, the situation would not have escalated as it did, IMO.

How the umps can allow Padilla two hits and not toss him, I don't understand, but that's another thread.

So from now on, we will see if Sox pitchers answer back every time a Sox player is hit by a pitch. That, more than anything else, will give us an idea of what Ozzie has really said to his players.

If I have counted out the rotation correctly, Vasquez will pitch the series opener when the Rangers come to the Cell in July. Maybe then the accounts will be settled.

(I have tickets to the last game in that series. Sweet! :finger )

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 04:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that is in fact what I did.

First off, I missed the entire incident because, like I said earlier, I was watching A Fistful of Dollars. Now, when I logged on this morning, I clealrly did not know that this incident ever happened. So, I get on to SoxTalk and see that there is something that happened between Sean Tracey and Ozzie Guillen in which Guillen snapped. So, I ask politely for someone to explain to me what happens, and then you come back with the comment you did. Now, considering SoxTalk was the 1st website I went to when I got on the computer, I did not hear anything about the incident. You might ask, then, why didn't he see it on TV? Well, because I woke up and watched Soccer (World Cup) all day long. My TV did not switch from ESPN 2 and ESPN all day.

Boy, sure is a shame that I had to explain myself in such a manner. Is this a good enough explanation for you Mr. Information?

No, it is a shame that this was a day in your life.

QUOTE(IlliniBob72 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where is all this talk about Tracey willfully blowing off Ozzie coming from? Hell, the pitch Blaylock grounded to second was a good 2 feet inside, not over the heart of the plate.

Ozzie will always hold a special place for me for last season, but he is demonstrating that he is an ass. First with his thoughts on Uggie Urbina and Jason Grmisley, and now this. He'd better continue winning or his welcome will be worn out quickly. To steal Ozzie's line of thinking, if you are an ass and you win, you are firey and a free-speaker. If you are an ass and you lose, you're just an asshole no one wants around.

He didn't willfully blow him off? Yes the first 2 pitches were close to hitting him, but they didn't. Then the 3rd pitch was inside but no where near the batter and good enough for Blalock to hit. So did he try with the first 2? Yes, possibly. But he sure didn't with the last. And that last pitch is when he willfully blew off Ozzie's orders.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
No, it is a shame that this was a day in your life.

He didn't willfully blow him off? Yes the first 2 pitches were close to hitting him, but they didn't. Then the 3rd pitch was inside but no where near the batter and good enough for Blalock to hit. So did he try with the first 2? Yes, possibly. But he sure didn't with the last. And that last pitch is when he willfully blew off Ozzie's orders.

Shame on me for watching a movie at night while eating dinner and an even bigger shame for getting on the internet in the morning. God, what was I thinking! :headshake