Riske..what you think

Jimbo's Drinker

Him actually striking out hitters should be the most promising sign for us. He's had problems doing that for the past season and a bit.

If he can produce, there's a definite role for him here long term. Really was a fantastic trade by KW.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 04:18 AM)
Him actually striking out hitters should be the most promising sign for us. He's had problems doing that for the past season and a bit.

If he can produce, there's a definite role for him here long term. Really was a fantastic trade by KW.

You have to commend KW for not waiting till the end of July to pull the trigger on this, as well. Having Riske for the next 5 weeks could prove to be very beneficial.

Riske was very solid with the Indians, and threw very well for them vs the sox. Him not being familiar with the Red Sox and their team not having patience with him, probably precipitated the trade. If the red sox have better RH bulpen guys than Riske, more power to them.

Riske for Lopez [a journeyman at best] is a steal. Both Thornton and Cotts are major league bullpen guys. Lopez is a fringe major leaguer.

Looking at Riske's minor league numbers, he dominated there. Even if he's not dominate and fails to regain his 2005 form, the sox could still upgrade by the deadline. But Riske's less likely to blow up a game than a rookie like Tracey or Montero

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
You have to commend KW for not waiting till the end of July to pull the trigger on this, as well. Having Riske for the next 5 weeks could prove to be very beneficial.

Exactly. Even if Riske doesn't turn out to be "The Answer" to the bullpen's ills, he should help the sox in some capacity until more help could arrive.

It's a very low risk, high reward type of deal. Thanks Red sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)

Absolutely, especially when you consider what Florida gave up for Ron Villione at the deadline last season.

Suddenly, our bullpen has a lot more depth than a lot of other teams.

Im just glad he shaved the Red Sawks mullet

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 07:49 AM)
Absolutely, especially when you consider what Florida gave up for Ron Villione at the deadline last season.

Which makes me wonder why Riske was expendable to the Red Sox. Is their bullpen so good that they can cast off Riske for a minor leaguer?

I wonder how cleveland feels about a key member of their lights-out bullpen last year playing for the Sox?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
Which makes me wonder why Riske was expendable to the Red Sox. Is their bullpen so good that they can cast off Riske for a minor leaguer?

I wonder how cleveland feels about a key member of their lights-out bullpen last year playing for the Sox?

I think it was a panic move from Theo Epstein. They had no lefties, none in their system who were ready, and Riske was just the odd guy out. It's more of a trading for a need, but giving up the better player.

Plus Fenway probably didn't suit Riske very well I'd say.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)

Esp. with Lopez not having a spot in Chicago. Getting Riske now was a smart move, in case more injuries occur. Ozzie and KW don't want to be in the position of relying on rookies in the bullpen come Sept. The more solid major leaguer bullpen arms the sox have, the better. Esp. if a SP goes down, and they have to move Bmac into the rotation

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
I think it was a panic move from Theo Epstein. They had no lefties, none in their system who were ready, and Riske was just the odd guy out. It's more of a trading for a need, but giving up the better player.

Plus Fenway probably didn't suit Riske very well I'd say.

Riske not being well known in the REd sox system, and being on the DL for a month, didn't help either. A definite overpayment here for the Red Sox, getting that LOGGY guy.

Interesting that Riske threw well in the Cell last year. The Sox being familiar with him certainly moved this deal along

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Esp. with Lopez not having a spot in Chicago. Getting Riske now was a smart move, in case more injuries occur. Ozzie and KW don't want to be in the position of relying on rookies in the bullpen come Sept. The more solid major leaguer bullpen arms the sox have, the better. Esp. if a SP goes down, and they have to move Bmac into the rotation

Riske not being well known in the REd sox system, and being on the DL for a month, didn't help either. A definite overpayment here for the Red Sox, getting that LOGGY guy.

Interesting that Riske threw well in the Cell last year. The Sox being familiar with him certainly moved this deal along

Lopez was never going to get a shot here. Boone Logan being up here and then Montero and Tracey was pretty much the writing on the wall for him there.

And in a way I suppose that helped this trade. If he came up to the majors and didn't perform well at all, suddenly his value goes down quite a bit. Keeping him at Charlotte, a real good hitters stadium with a ERA under 1 was a good move in hindsight.

It also showed how important Mike Myers was to Boston last season (doing a great job for the Yanks this season), and how they never really replaced him.

The knock on Riske is he has a tough time with pressure situations. I read somewhere where he was credited with zero holds last season. I don't know if thats true. Its hard to judge how he'll do by a situation like last night, but it would have been pretty hard for him to look any better. He's a much better bet to outperform Tracey or Montero or Politte, and probably is just as effective as anyone that is available on the market for a reasonable price right now, especially for someone that the organization obviously viewed as Charlotte filler.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
Year W L ERA G GS CG SH GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO WP BK H9 HR9 BB9 K9 WHIP

2005 3 4 3.10 58 0 0 0 33 1 72.2 55 28 25 11 15 48 0 0 6.81 1.36 1.86 5.94 0.96

55 hits in 72 2/3 IP is very, very good.

I still love this trade... Riske is great out of the bullpen and now it seems the pen as a whole is starting to fall together. B-Mac seems to have things figured out in the pen, Cotts while not as dominant as last season is still getting the job done, Jenks has been awesome..... Even Thornton has looked better as of late. If Politte comes back and can just be avg. than we got ourselves a damn good bp.

This trade is a huge relief for me.

The bullpen was still a big question mark and this move seems to relieve some of the concern. Now the Sox have 3 Righties (Riske, McCarthy, Jenks) and 2 Lefties (Cotts, Thornton) out of the pen who are all fairly consistent.

If Politte can come around, this bullpen is actually looking 2005esque.

Another thing is that they all seem to have their individual strengths that Ozzie will be able to use in different situations.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
This trade is a huge relief for me.

The bullpen was still a big question mark and this move seems to relieve some of the concern. Now the Sox have 3 Righties (Riske, McCarthy, Jenks) and 2 Lefties (Cotts, Thornton) out of the pen who are all fairly consistent.

If Politte can come around, this bullpen is actually looking 2005esque.

Another thing is that they all seem to have their individual strengths that Ozzie will be able to use in different situations.

Good points all-around. I still think Kenny is gonna make atleast one more move that nets us another bullpen arm.