Series Preview: White Sox vs. Cardinals

Heads22

Series Preview: White Sox vs. Cardinals

By Zach Hansen

The White Sox come back to Chicago to host the St. Louis Cardinals, following a scorching 6-1 road trip. The upcoming series with the NL Central leader is intriguing for Sox fans for several reasons. Tony LaRussa, the manager of the 1983 Winning Ugly White Sox returns to the Southside of Chicago for the first time since 2000. On Wednesday, Mark Buehrle gets his first career start against his childhood team, and Cardinals’ slugger Albert Pujols may possibly return for the series.

READ MORE

Good stuff.. it appears Reyes may get that last start but it's STILL undecided.. latest on the Cards site is that they may go with Suppan and not call Reyes up.. why I dont know.. Ponson is in the pen but they still may start him.. hmm.. I dont know..

Cards are about to sweep the Rox and are a season high 16 games over .500. I'd be satisfied with just one win against the Sox honestly.. Dont know what to expect this series.. however no matter the outcomes I wish you all well this season and after this series, you can be certain we'll try and get to the Tigers somewhat unlike that other team in Chicago.. hah!

Its gonna be a great series all around. Out of all the teams in MLB the Cards are one team I respect like few others ( include the Astros on that list also ). Im really looking forward to seeing some great baseball.

That being said............

RIP EM!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
No Pujols and no Carpenter=No problem.

Be careful with Rolen and with the way we're playing, it's at least 2 of 3.

Just dont assume it'll be a pushover without them.. Offense has been stepping it up and scoring at ease without Pujols.. pitching is starting to pick it up the last 5 games finally.. Just be careful what ya say.. The lineup isnt the prettiest and neither is the staff but they are playing good ball right now.. 7-2 in their last nine games.. not bad!

But yes it shouldnt be a problem.. just sayin :)

Edited by CardsJimEdmonds15

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
Just dont assume it'll be a pushover without them.. Offense has been stepping it up and scoring at ease without Pujols.. pitching is starting to pick it up the last 5 games finally.. Just be careful what ya say.. The lineup isnt the prettiest and neither is the staff but they are playing good ball right now.. 7-2 in their last nine games.. not bad!

But yes it shouldnt be a problem.. just sayin :)

If this were in St. Louis, I'd be a bit worried. But we're playing you without your 2 best players at our yard, and are on fire right now. Your a good team, but the NL is just so inferior and with the way we're playing, I'd be very surprised to see us lose this series.

yeah this should be a fun series.... I know the offense has still done well w/out Pujols but thank god he isnt there because I dont feel like seeing our pitchers get owned. Also I hope they do callup Reyes because he seems like an exciting good young talent and deserves a shot in the bigs.

I say we should be happy with 2 out of 3 although we could easily walk away with 1 or none.

oh and anyone know a good Cards messageboard besides the mlb/espn ones.... I want to know how they feel about the series and everything.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
No Pujols and no Carpenter=No problem.

Be careful with Rolen and with the way we're playing, it's at least 2 of 3.

At least 2 out of 3?? Wow....little overconfident here are we chief? This Cardinal team is a very good ballclub with or without Albert, this series will be no pushover at all and I'd be thrilled with taking 2-3 from the Cards..IMO a sweep is very unlikely but then again your entitled to your own opinion

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
At least 2 out of 3?? Wow....little overconfident here are we chief? This Cardinal team is a very good ballclub with or without Albert, this series will be no pushover at all and I'd be thrilled with taking 2-3 from the Cards..IMO a sweep is very unlikely but then again your entitled to your own opinion

Take a look at the current Cardinals everday lineup, the pitching matchups, the way we are playing, and the scene of the games.....and if you come to any conclusion other than we should win at least 2 of 3, I'd be shocked. The Cards are good and we better be ready to play, but I was more worried about playing in Cincy than I am about facing the current Cardinals club at our place.

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
At least 2 out of 3?? Wow....little overconfident here are we chief? This Cardinal team is a very good ballclub with or without Albert

They are a pretty good team, but I know everyone in their right minds know they are a completely different team when Pujols is in the line-up. That man is a beast. Completely changes a team's strategy or a game.. period.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
They are a pretty good team, but I know everyone in their right minds know they are a completely different team when Pujols is in the line-up. That man is a beast. Completely changes a team's strategy or a game.. period.

No doubt I totally agree but I was just trying to explain this St Louis team even wihtout Pujols is still no pushover

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
Take a look at the current Cardinals everday lineup, the pitching matchups, the way we are playing, and the scene of the games.....and if you come to any conclusion other than we should win at least 2 of 3, I'd be shocked. The Cards are good and we better be ready to play, but I was more worried about playing in Cincy than I am about facing the current Cardinals club at our place.

We'll see, this series should be a good one thats for damn sure...either way a possible October preview?? Let's hope :D

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)

I really really get what your saying.. we're a different team without Pujols.. The lineup isnt sexy and it wasnt even that sexy with Albert but now the players are stepping up MORE than they have all season because they have to now.. We're 8-5 without Albert.. Granted that's a small sample but besides a sweep against the Reds right after we lost Albert, this team hasnt missed any beat at all. We're running bases and stealing more, etc without Albert.. It's a good thing actually..

But then again even with what I said.. I'd feel much better if the series wasnt in Chicago.. and clearly the Sox are the better team even if Albert was healthy.. still we're not some easy team without Pujols.. of course now that I say that you'll be winning games like 12-1, 18-3, 34-0, etc against the Cards :lolhitting :lolhitting

From [Here]

And here's a roll call of what some hitters have done during Pujols' absence: Scott Rolen is batting .372 with 16 RBIs and 16 runs scored. Juan Encarnacion is batting .421 with 14 RBIs. So Taguchi has a .384 on-base percentage, five stolen bases and 14 runs scored. Yadier Molina is batting .305 with two homers and seven RBIs. Jim Edmonds is hitting .292 with four extra-base hits and a .383 OBP. Chris Duncan has chipped in with a .310 average and some timely hits.

:headbang

Anyways I dont have much to say.. Best of luck this series (but not too much) and the rest of the way.. :gosoxretro:

Edited by CardsJimEdmonds15

QUOTE(CardsJimEdmonds15 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
I really really get what your saying.. we're a different team without Pujols.. The lineup isnt sexy and it wasnt even that sexy with Albert but now the players are stepping up MORE than they have all season because they have to now.. We're 8-5 without Albert.. Granted that's a small sample but besides a sweep against the Reds right after we lost Albert, this team hasnt missed any beat at all. We're running bases and stealing more, etc without Albert.. It's a good thing actually..

But then again even with what I said.. I'd feel much better if the series wasnt in Chicago.. and clearly the Sox are the better team even if Albert was healthy.. still we're not some easy team without Pujols.. of course now that I say that you'll be winning games like 12-1, 18-3, 34-0, etc against the Cards :lolhitting :lolhitting

From [Here]

And here's a roll call of what some hitters have done during Pujols' absence: Scott Rolen is batting .372 with 16 RBIs and 16 runs scored. Juan Encarnacion is batting .421 with 14 RBIs. So Taguchi has a .384 on-base percentage, five stolen bases and 14 runs scored. Yadier Molina is batting .305 with two homers and seven RBIs. Jim Edmonds is hitting .292 with four extra-base hits and a .383 OBP. Chris Duncan has chipped in with a .310 average and some timely hits.

:headbang

Anyways I dont have much to say.. Best of luck this series (but not too much) and the rest of the way.. :gosoxretro:

All good points, it should be a fun series. Don't take it personal of course, like with the Reds this weekend, I enjoy watching the Cards and they have great fans, and I wish you luck after this series. But I hate whoever the Sox are playing, and for 3 days that just happens to be your guys.

I cant wait for this series, regardless Pujols or no Pujols they have a good team and are still able to get the job done. Im goin to tuesdays and thursdays game vs them and cant wait to see how we or they matchup against us.