gojimthome

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'I don't have an excuse'

Guillen apologizes for slur, continues to rip columnist

Posted: Wednesday June 21, 2006 9:52PM; Updated: Wednesday June 21, 2006 10:18PM

CHICAGO (AP) -- Outspoken Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen apologized Wednesday for using a derogatory term in referring to Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti, then kept up his criticism of the writer.

Guillen went into a profanity-laced tirade against Mariotti before Tuesday night's game against St. Louis and called him a number of names, including a derogatory term that is often used to describe someone's sexual orientation.

Before Wednesday night's game, Guillen acknowledged that his use of the word might have offended some.

"I shouldn't have mentioned the name that was mentioned, but I'm not going to back off of Jay," Guillen said, using another profanity to describe Mariotti.

"The word I used, I should have used something different. A lot of people's feelings were hurt and I didn't mean it that way."

Guillen said he had spoken to White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf about the incident.

"Jay, I think I made this guy a lot of money and he's famous. If not for Ozzie Guillen, no one would have heard of him," Guillen said. "If I hurt anybody with what I called him, I apologize."

Mariotti, who appears on the ESPN show Around the Horn, was not available for comment. A call to his office and an e-mail were not immediately returned.

Sun-Times columnist Greg Couch on Wednesday called for Guillen to be suspended for his latest outburst.

Mariotti recently was critical of Guillen's handling of rookie pitcher Sean Tracey. Tracey could be seen distraught in the dugout last week in Texas after Guillen became angry when the White Sox didn't retaliate for catcher A.J. Pierzynski twice being hit with pitches. Tracey was later demoted to the minors.

Guillen was also angry after Mariotti called for Cubs manager Dusty Baker to be fired and replaced by TV broadcaster Bob Brenly.

Guillen was asked Wednesday if he would be open to taking some sensitivity training considering his recent comments.

"I've been here for 20 years, but people have to know that I grew up in a different country. That's not an excuse. I called the guy that name, but, no, that's the way I grew up, that's the way I've learned that language," he said.

"I don't have an excuse to say that, I have been here enough to know you can use so many words in the States. That's not an excuse, but I wasn't calling people that. I was calling him that."

Guillen, who led the White Sox to their first World Series title in 88 years last season, has gotten into trouble several times with his comments.

In spring training this year, he apologized to Alex Rodriguez for comments he made in a Sports Illustrated article in which he criticized the Yankees star for waffling on his choice of countries for the World Baseball Classic.

In his first season he called umpire Hunter Wendelstedt a liar. Later in the season, he sarcastically referred to Buck Showalter of the Rangers as the best manager in the history of baseball and the guy who invented the game -- all after Showalter questioned Guillen's knowledge of the rules.

Guillen also went off on a profanity-filled tirade last season against former teammate and fellow Venezuelan Magglio Ordonez, who left the White Sox and joined the Detroit Tigers.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/base...y.ap/index.html

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
On the loop on ESPN News, Marriotti says "Take me out of this." blah, blah....

No Jaygoff, you are in it. You can not goat a guy for years and then when he reacts act as if you are blameless. You own some of the responsibilty for his response. Be a man about it at least.

He's not used to being the man in any relationship.

:D

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:07 PM)
Did anyone see the transcript they put on Comcast? They didnt bleep out *** on TV...I think someone missed the ball...

ESPN left *** up there on their quote as well. They did change s*** and what I assume was f*** to "expletive"

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I saw the TV interview prior to the game today. He called Moronatti a piece of s*** 4 more times and then challenged him to stand and face Ozzie.

LOL!

Of course the Mariotti the b**** wont do it.

He's such a ***.

The fact that you said that made me laugh out loud. You're awesome, Nuke.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 03:24 AM)
I 100% agree that Jay is a complete ass.

However you can not use the term *** when talking to the media. It makes Ozzie and the organization look bad. I just don't understand why Ozzie keeps talking about Jay. Ozzie says he does not care what Jay says about him. If Ozzie did not care he would not talk about him all of the time. I think everyone on the Sox official comment on Jay needs to be "Jay who" or "no comment"

When you're asked a question a million times, it's difficult not to answer it. Especially if you have animosity towards that person, and even more especially if you're Ozzie. Can't say I blame the guy...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:34 PM)
How about Ozzie just apologizes then STFU?

No, makes too much sense.

I disagree. Ozzie's ranting make the Sox that much more entertaining ( as if our offensive prowess and great pitching and defense wasn't enough ). He's also saying aloud what thousands of Sox fans already think about that mangina who writes columns for the Sun Times.

Mariotti is a whiny little b****. The only thing I disagree about in this whole thing is that Ozzie called him a ###, and not a f***ing dickhead. Mariotti's reaction to everything is so predictable.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 03:44 AM)
That and jellies. Doesn't it suck when you get a rock stuck in them?

I agree that Ozzie should have never said this stuff. Between him and Hawk, they need to realize they're two of the most public representatives of the organization.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
I was LMAO when Ozzie started calling Jay "A garbage."

LOO BISH. I TIRED O JEW PEOPLE MAAIN FUN O MY ACCEN!

FO DA LAS TII, DON JEW FOOKING GRINGOS TAA CHIT ABOU ME O I CAA JEW OU LII I DID WIT DAT f***** YAA MAREEODE!

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
I was LMAO when Ozzie started calling Jay "A garbage."

me too. jay aka 'hiney bird' interviewed on the score 670 this morning. he voiced his hatred for the sox. i stopped listening. such a jerkoff motion.