Official Ozzie/Mariotti Thread

gojimthome

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
Not only not on a podium...he was off the record.

Problem was he was within close promixity of the press. Comments on/off record hold more substance with players, anyways. Almost an unwritten rule of journalism. Players need assurances what they say within the clubhouse and on field aren't at risk of being printed. There's no preferential treatment for Guillen. I'm certain countless players have said much worse within earshot of journalists. But a manager? Couldn't expect many to sit on this story.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No raves for Ozzie's rantsBy Mark Kreidler

ESPN.com

Archive

Can we all agree that certain words are so potentially hurtful they should be used either rarely or never?

Good. Then let's not call it a suspension. Let's call it an intervention.

C'mon, White Sox, rescue your guy before he goes Archie Bunker on the rest of the world. Ozzie Guillen has already mocked the likes of A-Rod for not being Dominican enough, equated homosexuals with child molesters, ripped into a rookie for not intentionally hitting an opposing player, declared that if any pitcher hit him twice, "I'd be in the hospital or I'd be dead -- but I will fight, I will fight."

With that as the subtext, Guillen's homosexual slur of Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti on Tuesday is less shocking than it is a continuation of a trend that has been gathering momentum -- virtually unchecked -- by the week.

It is the story of a man who became so lionized for speaking his mind that he forgot the part about having one. At some point, Guillen as a refreshing alternative to canned managerial quotes (Hey, no other managers talk like this!) morphed into the bile-spewing elephant in the living room. It isn't as though the White Sox didn't see it coming -- everybody in baseball has seen Guillen on the rage for months, even as no one lifted a hand to check him.

So now's the time. Stop this man before he runs off the rails. Save Guillen from himself by yanking him off the field long enough to get his attention.

This guy just referred to a local writer thusly: "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] ***."

Any questions? This has nothing to do with Guillen's feud with Mariotti, and everything to do with Guillen's rapidly shrinking view of the world around him.

Suspend him in order to preserve him. It's your move, White Sox.

This is Chicago's guy, after all. He's the one the Sox want. They backed him up even through that ridiculous exercise last week, in which Guillen clearly went off on Sean Tracey after the rookie failed to drill Hank Blalock with a retaliatory beanball. When Tracey was subsequently shipped back to the minors, the Sox went along with the story that the move was to make room for David Riske, who'd just been acquired in a trade.

(In one of those delicious story twists, both Riske and Guillen got booted from Tuesday night's rout of the Cardinals after Riske plunked Chris Duncan in retaliation for Sidney Ponson's two hit batters. Hey, at least Ozzie got his man in Riske.)

This is the White Sox's story to handle. It's the Sox being embarrassed first, Major League Baseball second. And, no disrespect, does anyone really expect MLB to step in and take an exact measure that actually improves things? Handle it, Chicago, before someone else (cough, cough -- Selig -- cough, cough) tries to.

It's easy to see how Guillen could have been given this much rope. The man just led a team to the World Series and won it. He had the White Sox at 20 games over .500 after Tuesday night's 20-6 drubbing of the Cards. They love a winner in every baseball town in North America, and there is an awful lot of latitude that accompanies that attitude.

But, look, the track record lately ain't so hot. There is Guillen in February, telling Sports Illustrated that Alex Rodriguez is nothing but a "hypocrite" for even insinuating he might play for the Dominican team in the World Baseball Classic and adding, "It's the same with [Nomar] Garciaparra playing for Mexico. Garciaparra only knows Cancun because he went to visit."

There is Guillen this spring, commenting on a situation by noting, "In Venezuela, we don't care. We take care of [stuff] by hitting people." There is Guillen last year in New York, equating a homosexual with a child molester and igniting a brief firestorm, emphasis on brief. Good thing Ozzie's team was running in first place, or it could have been an actual, you know … issue.

We could fill the rest of this column with stuff Guillen has said over just the past year; the man is a veritable font of incendiary invective. He loves to talk. For a while, there, people seemed to be very happy -- or entertained enough -- to listen.

But it is probably worth remembering, at some point, that Guillen is part of a larger show in which people play by slightly more restrictive rules. Put it another way: Ozzie might just talk himself out of baseball and into Marge Schott/John Rocker territory. And as much as that might satisfy some of the aggrieved parties just now, it doesn't have to happen.

Go get him, Chicago. Drag him out of the dugout if you have to. Call it an intervention if it makes you feel better. But get it done.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

this is really really lame, commisioner bud can act on some comments within days, but is still lookin for a way to discipline people for steroid use? This further adds to my hate of Bud Selig...what. a. f***in. bum.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Im sick of this Chris Duncan bulls***. Daddy needs to realize that baby is in the big leagues.

Poor Duncan, his boy got plunked in the tush. Next time tell the fat Arubian to get better control.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Poor Duncan, his boy got plunked in the tush. Next time tell the fat Arubian to get better control.

exactly... does this motherf***er dave duncan understand baseball?? chris duncan is a f***stick and so is his daddy.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Im sick of this Chris Duncan bulls***. Daddy needs to realize that baby is in the big leagues.

Where is pops complaining about the hit?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
exactly... does this motherf***er dave duncan understand baseball?? chris duncan is a f***stick and so is his daddy.

What the hell is going on around here? Seriously... :huh:

Sorry ESPN. Neither the White Sox or ESPN are going to suspend Guillen for his comments. Let the whining commence. We'll just continue winning and aggrivating every critic of Guillen along the way.

Not many care. Let's be honest. Guillen's attitude shouldn't surprise anyone by now. Most sensible people recognize his comments were inappropriate, but let's not begin this self-righteous crusade of acting ashamed. An embarrasment to our organization? Yeah, ok. It'll blow over in a week. We'll continue winning, and probably secure another playoff birth. We've had two onfield incidents, we can certaintly rise above this.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Well, in 2005 Jay Mariotti wrote this about the Sox:

Ozzie Ball isn't about an on-field approach as much as the unity he cultivates in the clubhouse. He has their backs, and they have his -- even when he's pulling a stunt.

Guess what-- Jay was RIGHT for one time in his life! Yesterday Paul Konerko talked to Joe Cowley about Ozzie:

June 22, 2006

Konerko has no argument with Ozzie

BY JOE COWLEY Staff Reporter

If there were any thoughts outside the White Sox' clubhouse that manager Ozzie Guillen's latest rant about Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti would be a distraction for the players, that was put to rest Wednesday.

"He's going to say whatever he wants,'' first baseman Paul Konerko said. "I'm certainly not going to say anything that's going to make him change the way he is, and I highly doubt anybody is.''

Konerko was asked if it was tough playing for Guillen with all the attention the third-year manager brings to himself.

"Playing for Ozzie has been nothing but good for everybody in this clubhouse, including myself,'' Konerko said. "Playing for Ozzie is a walk in the park.

"He's one of those guys that says what's on his mind, and nowadays, when you've got a million people that are so gray about everything and don't give you a straight answer and say everything that's politically correct, Ozzie's going to stick out like a sore thumb.''

That "sore thumb'' is under even more scrutiny now that he has a World Series title to defend.

"I'll tell you what, we're not going to trade him for anybody else,'' Konerko said. "He's our manager, and there's a lot of people that have been brought in expected to win, that were supposed to be the right guy.

"That's one thing you can't say about Ozzie, that he can't take the heat. He's right in the middle of it all day, and he's got the ring to show you he can do it.''

The team captain, folks. And yet we're told that Ozzie has lost the respect of his players. :lol: :lol:

I love this team and I love this manager. :gosox1:

Mariotti on Arount the Horn says the gay community is "calling for Guillen's head."

Somehow I doubt this. Often when people speak in generalities they're wrong.

I can't speak for the gay communtiy, but can anyone honestly imagine people absolutely livid and shaking their fists at the thought of Guillen calling Mariotti a ***? People are sensible. Most are looking at Guillen and realizing he's an ignorant boob. I'm confident Guillen will do something with the gay community to help his image.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Mariotti on Arount the Horn says the gay community is "calling for Guillen's head."

I can't speak for the gay communtiy, but can anyone honestly imagine people absolutely livid and shaking their fists at the thought of Guillen calling Mariotti a ***? People are sensible. Most are looking at Guillen and realizing he's an ignorant boob. I'm confident Guillen will do something with the gay community to help his image.

And even if he doesn't, I don't give a f*** if the gay community doesn't like Ozzie. As a matter of fact, I don't give a f*** if our own fanbase doesn't like Ozzie......he may be an insensitive bastard who is wrong with what he says, but I don't care, as long as we're winning games. Call me ignorant, I don't care.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Mariotti claims that Ozzie needs "Psychological help"

:rolly

Mariotti is loving every minute of it.

Jay Mariotti truly is an attention whore. :headshake

Actually, he agreed with Phil Garner (Astros manager) who says Guillen needs psychological help.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)

So Jay is saying that gays are all violent murderers?

See Jay, it's not nice to blow things out of proportion is it?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
And even if he doesn't, I don't give a f*** if the gay community doesn't like Ozzie. As a matter of fact, I don't give a f*** if our own fanbase doesn't like Ozzie......he may be an insensitive bastard who is wrong with what he says, but I don't care, as long as we're winning games. Call me ignorant, I don't care.

I have no problem. Someone else may call you ignorant, though. :D

Honestly, I don't care what Guillen does from this point forward concerning this issue. I just believe he'll do something, whether it's apologize in a newspaper or appear at their parade.

Actually, a story in this morning's Sun Times said that representatives of the gay community want an apology from Ozzie, and sensitivity training for him.

They've gotten both. I think that by doing those things, the Sox organization and the Commissioner's office have headed off any further outrage from that quarter.

In other words, I think Mariotti is full of dung. :finger

Edited by holly wiggins