Jenks

GoSox05

You think right now Bobby Jenks is the best closer in Baseball? he's been really nasty this year. 39k/9bb.

I've never seen Papplebom pitch so im not sure about him and I think Rivera has slowed down a little, but not much.

Pabelbon has been the best closer in baseball so far this year. BJ Ryan also has been better then Bobby but lately, Bobby has been as dominate as anyone. He's getting ahead of everyone, his velocity has fully returned and he's getting his curve over and because of that he's nearly unhittable right now.

Its hard to argue that anybody has been better or as good as Papelbon, cause his stats are just plain sick. But Jenks has been simply awesome this year. Let me put it this way: I can't remember another Sox closer, with the possible exception of Thigpen in 1990, that I was more comfortable with coming into a game, no matter what the circumstance.

I'd say he's got to perform like this a bit longer to even enter the discussion. He's been very good lately, but he still hasn't really proved it over the long haul. IMO consistency is a very important factor in closer quality, and you can't make judgements off of only one year. He had kind of a rough April, and despite good periferal numbers he had a higher ERA in May. Obviously he's been lights out in June. If he keeps pitching like he has lately for the rest of the year, obviously he has to enter the discussion.

Right now I think I'd go with B.J. Ryan. He was a dominant reliever the past two years and his numbers are ridiculous this year. Papelbon has also obviously been good, but I want to see him do it for at least a season and a half before I put him #1. Before his poor start to this season, I would have said Brad Lidge without hesitation. Rivera and Nathan are also still pitching very well. Honestly, outside of those guys, there aren't a whole lot of closers that are consistently dominant. Even guys like Francisco Rodriguez and Billy Wagner struggle for decent stretches.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
Papelbon, Rivera, Ryan, Jenks. In other words, Jenks is the best closer outside the AL East, but he'd be the 4th best one in that division....yikes.

i'll take jenks over ryan and rivera any day. yea, rivera is one of the best ever and has all that postgame exp. but jenks has a ring too.

I think as long as Jenks is in the conversation of best closer in baseball, it's all good. Some other closer may be considered better by some, but as long as Bad Bobby gets the job done, it's nothing but someone's opinion, so who who cares.

I think he has to be in the top 2-3 by now and he's getting better, IMHO.

Ide take Jenks over any closer.. but it would have also been Lidge if he hadnt stumbled to start the season

And no, not because hes on the White Sox, but because he throws 98-100+ gas and has NASTY breaking pitches.. his stuff is awesome

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Jun 23, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
i'll take jenks over ryan and rivera any day. yea, rivera is one of the best ever and has all that postgame exp. but jenks has a ring too.

I can go with taking Jenks over Ryan, especially since he's younger and cheaper.....but not Rivera.

As for Turnbow, Turnbow AND Jenks were given away on waivers by the Angels, wonder how they feel about that right about now.

Is there any closer with better pure stuff than Jenks? Before answering, consider Jenks's known repitoire of pitches:

95-102 MPH Fastball

95-99 MPH Cutter

88-91 MPH Slider (I know he hit 96 with it last night, but unless I see that again, it's an abberation IMO)

82-88 MPH Curveball