White Sox may be in trouble

VAfan

QUOTE(Twins Win @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
I was wishing you luck because I was just being nice. I'm not going to get too excited about the way the Twins have played until they're about 2 games back.

Its gotta suck for you guys to have won as much as you have lately and still be looking up at a huge defecit in the standings.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever POSTED THIS THREAD: YOU ARE BANNED. HOW DARE YOU SPEAK NEGATIVELY WHEN WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PLAYOFF RUN. YOU ARE OFFICIALLY YOU ARE BANNED UNTIL WE HAVE SAFELY WON ANOTHER WORLD SERIES. WE DON'T NEED SOX-HATERS LIKE YOU.

Oops! Wrong board!

//skulks away...

Edited by LVSoxFan

I just want to add that the Sox have now had back-to-back well-pitched games by their starters. And we also pitched our way out of 8th and 9th inning jams with men on second and third and no outs. None of the 4 runners scored.

This is what I'm talking about. When we pitch like we are capable of, we are clearly the best team in baseball. No one can touch us.

Just keep it up, guys. Javier, it is your turn to show us you were worth trading Chris Young to get. You should beat down this O's team.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Javier, it is your turn to show us you were worth trading Chris Young to get. You should beat down this O's team.

Not to sound like a pessimist, but the O's are not the Royals, so he will probably get rocked.

But I hope he doesn't.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Not to sound like a pessimist, but the O's are not the Royals, so he will probably get rocked.

But I hope he doesn't.

So, you are saying since the Os have a better hitting team, Vazquez will get rocked?

Hmmm...explain that to Cleveland. He is 2-0 with a 1.53 era against them.

But I'm glad you're not a pessimist. :)

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)

But I hope he doesn't.

Looking at how the Royals are hitting lately, I'm not sure which one I'd rather be facing now. I'm glad we're clear of this hot streak they've somehow put together.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
I just want to add that the Sox have now had back-to-back well-pitched games by their starters. And we also pitched our way out of 8th and 9th inning jams with men on second and third and no outs. None of the 4 runners scored.

This is what I'm talking about. When we pitch like we are capable of, we are clearly the best team in baseball. No one can touch us.

Just keep it up, guys. Javier, it is your turn to show us you were worth trading Chris Young to get. You should beat down this O's team.

Our offense better spot him some serious runs. He's pitching against the O's version of Cliff Politte. Time to pad your stats boys.

Boy, this thread may suck, but so does White Sox pitching right now. We need Contreras to bail us out tomorrow, but he can't win all of our games after the break.

Today, not only did Garcia melt down after the botched popup by Nixon, but our bullpen couldn't get the third out in the 6th or 7th innings, giving up 1 and 2 runs after two outs and no one on. David Riske issued a walk to Alex Cora after getting ahead 0-2, then throwing 4 straight pitches outside. Cora stole, then Youklis hit a single to left on a ball left up over the plate. The 7th might have been worse. Cotts gets two outs, then we watch chink hits and dribblers turn into two runs.

With Minnesota having temporarily cooled off, we haven't suffered in the wild card standings much, but we're not getting any closer to Detroit, and we aren't playing the kind of ball that took us to the World Series last year.

This team needs to find pitching and defense first again if it wants to be the best in baseball.

The past couple of games have been rough on us. Thank goodness we have the all star break coming, the pitching staff needs the break. Hopefully Jose will come through for us Sunday and send us to the all star game on a positive note.

Edited by whitesox1976

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
Boy, this thread may suck, but so does White Sox pitching right now. We need Contreras to bail us out tomorrow, but he can't win all of our games after the break.

Today, not only did Garcia melt down after the botched popup by Nixon, but our bullpen couldn't get the third out in the 6th or 7th innings, giving up 1 and 2 runs after two outs and no one on. David Riske issued a walk to Alex Cora after getting ahead 0-2, then throwing 4 straight pitches outside. Cora stole, then Youklis hit a single to left on a ball left up over the plate. The 7th might have been worse. Cotts gets two outs, then we watch chink hits and dribblers turn into two runs.

With Minnesota having temporarily cooled off, we haven't suffered in the wild card standings much, but we're not getting any closer to Detroit, and we aren't playing the kind of ball that took us to the World Series last year.

This team needs to find pitching and defense first again if it wants to be the best in baseball.

What kind of ball took us to the World Series last year? Is it just the incredible last 7-8 games of the season and 11 playoff games or do we include the 18-22 stretch that we had from late July through the end of August?

Hopefully a win tomorrow and a few days off gets everybody's heads together. The pitchers could use some rest, but the mental mistakes are killing the team. Letting a pop up drop between four players in unacceptable. Not being able to manufacture at least one run with the bases loaded and no outs is the mark of a team trying to do too much. Perhaps even trying to overcompensate for poor pitching. In the other hand, it we compare the pitching stats of 2005 to 2006 at the all star break, the similarities are marked. On the other hand, I hate to see us fall into a "Bear Trap" and use one season (1985) as the mark of success forever. The focus and hunger gave the Red Sox an edge coming into the series which may be why they looked past the D-Rays and lost 3 of 4. Which raises the question, what are the White Sox looking at?

Eh, but who the hell cares? Go Mariners!

Those who defend the Sox's pitching staff need to ask themselves if they believe this team's pitching is Championship caliber. Once they realize the honest answer is "no," they'll then understand why those who criticize the pitching are complaining.

We're not in a rebuilding year. We've already traded away prospects like Young, and we're not far from assembling a Championship caliber team, so KW might as well finish his f***ing plan.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Those who defend the Sox's pitching staff need to ask themselves if they believe this team's pitching is Championship caliber. Once they realize the honest answer is "no," they'll then understand why those who criticize the pitching are complaining.

We're not in a rebuilding year. We've already traded away prospects like Young, and we're not far from assembling a Championship caliber team, so KW might as well finish his f***ing plan.

People said the same thing about our offense last year.

You can't make generalizations based on half a season. Our pitching is still better than most teams, even with the rough stretch we are going through. Give it a rest, we've got the second best record in baseball. I'd hate to see what this site would look like if we were around .500.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Those who defend the Sox's pitching staff need to ask themselves if they believe this team's pitching is Championship caliber . Once they realize the honest answer is "no," they'll then understand why those who criticize the pitching are complaining.

I think the bolded statement is the bottom line. It is not a question of optimism or pessimism. It is tough to win a world series when all of your starters except 2 have 5.00+ ERA's. I think the question is when and who will step up once this Boston Massacre is over.

The title of this post that White sox may be in trouble ...

Obviously it's true if Detroit plays like Det. did the first half.

If the Tigers duplicate what they did, we're gonna have to get the wild

card. There's absolutely no way we can beat the Tigers in the division

if they keep this up.

That said ... the close scare with Cleveland last Sept and the competition

really helped us in the postseason and that's what counted the most.

Hopefully the competition will make Kenny make a key trade also that

will help us in the long run.

Detroit is determined to have about a 4 or 5 game lead at the break and

probably will.

Those bastards.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
I think the bolded statement is the bottom line. It is not a question of optimism or pessimism. It is tough to win a world series when all of your starters except 2 have 5.00+ ERA's. I think the question is when and who will step up once this Boston Massacre is over.

Do you really think all of them will finish the year with ERA's that high? That would put all of them well over their career averages. That seems pretty damn unlikely.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
People said the same thing about our offense last year.

You can't make generalizations based on half a season. Our pitching is still better than most teams, even with the rough stretch we are going through. Give it a rest, we've got the second best record in baseball. I'd hate to see what this site would look like if we were around .500.

AND MOST TEAMS DON'T WIN THE WORLD SERIES EVERY YEAR. THAT COMPARISON IS FAULTY.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
Do you really think all of them will finish the year with ERA's that high? That would put all of them well over their career averages. That seems pretty damn unlikely.

f*** career averages. Answer me this:

What do you see in Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez and Jon Garland that makes you think they're 3/5 of a 2006 Championship caliber team?

Shoota have you looked at our record?

You make it sound like we have a s*** ass staff and team.

Our record is phenomenal.

We're going to be in the race for the wild card if not the division

title all season!!!

Look around baseball. Everybody has weak staffs except maybe

the Tigers if elder statesman Rogers and the younguns keep it up.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
AND MOST TEAMS DON'T WIN THE WORLD SERIES EVERY YEAR. THAT COMPARISON IS FAULTY.

Since when do you have to lead the league in every category to win it all? Even assuming our pitching stays this bad, which it probably won't, we've got the #1 offense in the league. That's enough to get you through the regular season, and the playoffs is a crap shoot.