Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
That Simmons article was a great read. I'm more into the Serie A (Go AS Roma!) than the Premier League, but I still follow somewhat. Sadly my favorite English system side isn't even English lol. I like Cardiff City, hopefully they can get to the Premier League soon, they've been improving lately and their fans tend to think this is the year.

Gross non-EPL news though...Cannavaro and Emerson have been sold by Juventus to Real Madrid. :puke

Holy s***. I didn't think Cannavaro was going to leave. :o

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Chelsea = Aneheim Angels when the won the WS

Manchester Uniter = New York Yankees

Actually, I'd say Chelsea is getting to be more like the Red Sox. They never used to win anything, then Abramovic comes in and they spend a fortune on their team. They've dominated of late, and their spending is getting worse. They just added Kalou, Ballack, and Shevchenko. Their spending is getting pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, that Simmons article was a great read for a newcomber like me, but that doesn't mean I'm going with who he says. I haven't decided yet. I thought I liked Chelsea until I read about how they spend a ton of money too like Man United, so now I don't know.

Anyway, one team I know for sure that I'll root for is Benfica in the Portuguese SuperLiga. I love that team!

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Yeah, that Simmons article was a great read for a newcomber like me, but that doesn't mean I'm going with who he says. I haven't decided yet. I thought I liked Chelsea until I read about how they spend a ton of money too like Man United, so now I don't know.

Anyway, one team I know for sure that I'll root for is Benfica in the Portuguese SuperLiga. I love that team!

Fine I'll pick for you, go for West Ham. :D

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Actually, I'd say Chelsea is getting to be more like the Red Sox. They never used to win anything, then Abramovic comes in and they spend a fortune on their team. They've dominated of late, and their spending is getting worse. They just added Kalou, Ballack, and Shevchenko. Their spending is getting pretty ridiculous.

Yeah, but everyone's already sold on the idea that Arsenal is the Red Sox. Big spending a factor there too, not to mention the rivalry with Man U (Yankees). Anaheim spent pretty big to win their title, not huge, but big. It's not a bad comparison.

As for Premier League teams I find it hard not to like Blackburn. Mainly because I revere Friedel after the 2002 World Cup, plus they don't have a bandwagon or Yankee-esque spending. With that said, you need to spend to win the top leagues in Europe, it's impossible not to.

As for Bolton Jay-Jay Okocha is the freaking man, that is all.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)
Yeah, but everyone's already sold on the idea that Arsenal is the Red Sox. Big spending a factor there too, not to mention the rivalry with Man U (Yankees). Anaheim spent pretty big to win their title, not huge, but big. It's not a bad comparison.

As for Premier League teams I find it hard not to like Blackburn. Mainly because I revere Friedel after the 2002 World Cup, plus they don't have a bandwagon or Yankee-esque spending. With that said, you need to spend to win the top leagues in Europe, it's impossible not to.

As for Bolton Jay-Jay Okocha is the freaking man, that is all.

I have never agreed with you more.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:08 PM)
:ph34r:

Oh please. 10 reasons why you should not go for Bolton;

1. They play ugly football

2. They don't play any young players

3. They have an ugly manager

4. They have a fat manager

5. They play the most boringest style of football, unless you find long balls to the striker exciting.

6. They hardly play any English players.

7. They play to survive and not to win.

8. Jay - Jay Okocha no longer plays for them.

9. Players like Dieter Hamann leave without even playing 1 minute for the club.

10. A plain white strip is dreary and boring. Just like Bolton.

Now 10 reasons why you SHOULD go for West Ham; :D

1. They play an attractive, attacking style of football.

2. Most of the team is made up of domestic English players.

3. West Ham have developed players such as Michael Carrick and Joe Cole.

4. They have a better, bigger stadium than Bolton.

5. They have better rivalries against the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham than Bolton.

6. West Ham will be playing in the Uefa Cup this season. Bolton will not.

7. West Ham made the F.A Cup last season.

8. "We'll be blowing bubbles" is a far better club song than anything Bolton has to offer.

9. Dean Ashton and Marlon Harewood are better than any strikers Bolton has to offer.

10. And finally, West Ham's colours of Claret and Blue are far better than Bolton's, hence much better jerseys.

Okocha left Bolton?!?!?!?!

Where the hell do you guys find out about these transfers?

EDIT: Frickin A, he went to Qatar. Looks like Quentin Fortune will be taking his spot.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 03:27 AM)
Oh please. 10 reasons why you should not go for Bolton;

1. They play ugly football

2. They don't play any young players

3. They have an ugly manager

4. They have a fat manager

5. They play the most boringest style of football, unless you find long balls to the striker exciting.

6. They hardly play any English players.

7. They play to survive and not to win.

8. Jay - Jay Okocha no longer plays for them.

9. Players like Dieter Hamann leave without even playing 1 minute for the club.

10. A plain white strip is dreary and boring. Just like Bolton.

Now 10 reasons why you SHOULD go for West Ham; :D

1. They play an attractive, attacking style of football.

2. Most of the team is made up of domestic English players.

3. West Ham have developed players such as Michael Carrick and Joe Cole.

4. They have a better, bigger stadium than Bolton.

5. They have better rivalries against the likes of Arsenal and Tottenham than Bolton.

6. West Ham will be playing in the Uefa Cup this season. Bolton will not.

7. West Ham made the F.A Cup last season.

8. "We'll be blowing bubbles" is a far better club song than anything Bolton has to offer.

9. Dean Ashton and Marlon Harewood are better than any strikers Bolton has to offer.

10. And finally, West Ham's colours of Claret and Blue are far better than Bolton's, hence much better jerseys.

11. West Ham players snort cocaine.

http://www.soccernews.com/news.php?url=htt...e.pl?r588522284

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Is there any team that yall could just compare to the White Sox? That would make my decision a lot easier. :)

Would that be a team that finally won a title after years of drought while not having a top tier payroll in doing? Doesn't exist.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 06:33 AM)
And DBAH0, you should mention that Jonathan Spector, American stud defender, is playing at West Ham now.

Yep, and he's an Illinois native to boot.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
11. West Ham players snort cocaine.

Not like Shaun Newton was any good anyway. :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 06:44 AM)
Where the hell do you guys find out about these transfers?

Usually Planetfootball and Soccernet are the best places to look.

But if you are looking for gossip, check out this link at about 11-midnight your time every day;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/default.stm

Click on Relevant Day's Gossip.

Yeah Spector grew up in Arlington Heights (same as McBride), which is Chicago area and 20ish minutes from me. I've been tracking him since a pretty big deal was made about him signing for Man U and then playing that US tour game in Chicago.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
Yeah Spector grew up in Arlington Heights (same as McBride), which is Chicago area and 20ish minutes from me. I've been tracking him since a pretty big deal was made about him signing for Man U and then playing that US tour game in Chicago.

Apparently he can play all 4 defensive positions, so that added versatility will help him immensely.

But he'll have to get past Konchesky - Gabbidon - Ferdinand (Rio's younger brother) and Mears if he wants a spot. Mears is another young player we just signed, so that would probably be his best chance at right back.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 06:32 AM)
Would that be a team that finally won a title after years of drought while not having a top tier payroll in doing? Doesn't exist.

Correct, but you also have to add in that the payrole is high now after winning the championship.

Doesn't exist, huh? Well, that sucks. I guess I'm gonna have to call my sister's boyfriend, who lived in England in grade school, and ask him who he likes because I know he's a huge soccer fan. I've just never talked to him about it b/c I've never really liked soccer 'till now.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Correct, but you also have to add in that the payrole is high now after winning the championship.

Doesn't exist, huh? Well, that sucks. I guess I'm gonna have to call my sister's boyfriend, who lived in England in grade school, and ask him who he likes because I know he's a huge soccer fan. I've just never talked to him about it b/c I've never really liked soccer 'till now.

Maybe Newcastle would be the team for you.

They wear the same type of colours as the White Sox (Black and White), and they almost beat Manchester United for the Title a few seasons back.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 07:05 AM)
Maybe Newcastle would be the team for you.

They wear the same type of colours as the White Sox (Black and White), and they almost beat Manchester United for the Title a few seasons back.

I just don't know. What I do know is that I saw the clip of those two Newcastle teammates fighting in a game in '05, which was pretty funny. I can't believe the ref red-carded both of them. They were on the same team!

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:22 PM)
I just don't know. What I do know is that I saw the clip of those two Newcastle teammates fighting in a game in '05, which was pretty funny. I can't believe the ref red-carded both of them. They were on the same team!

Yeah Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer. Actually Bowyer signed for West Ham this off-season. Will be interesting to see how he fits in. Was a damn good offensive attacking midfielder back in the Leeds United days.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
I think I'm going with Liverpool b/c I do think Crouch is funny. God, he looks so out of place...

Excellent choice! I'm going to try and actually follow the EPL this year, perhaps we could keep a thread on it in here, that would probably help :P

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Excellent choice! I'm going to try and actually follow the EPL this year, perhaps we could keep a thread on it in here, that would probably help :P

Yeah, keep it as a European thread since some of us prefer the better leagues. :P

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Is there any team that yall could just compare to the White Sox? That would make my decision a lot easier. :)

I definitely can't think of anyone that fits that profile. You'd have to find a non-trendy team with decent but not stellar spending that is generally competitive and at least makes the Champions' League every once in a while. The elite teams (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool) all have a seriously dedicated following. I guess if I had to pick one that fits it'd probably be Liverpool. They have an impressive history, but outside of their recent Champions' League title they haven't been as successful as those other teams recently.

I don't really have a team, maybe one of these days I'll pick one. I was following AC Milan in Serie A because they had a lot of players that I liked, but with the match-fixing scandal I might have to pick a new team.