Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
I don't really have a team, maybe one of these days I'll pick one. I was following AC Milan in Serie A because they had a lot of players that I liked, but with the match-fixing scandal I might have to pick a new team.

Yeah, I can't imagine what it must be like for their fans, as well as Juventus and the other teams, too. I mean, just think if the White Sox were found guilty of that, and got sent to the NL ( :P ) and had to sell off most of their good players to the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, etc.

Btw, what's up with you people not giving the Portuguese SuperLiga some love? Portugal is badass (my team in the WC after US got knocked out). I have no Portuguese blood in me or anything, but I just like them (except for that cry baby Cristiano Ronaldo). I mean, it's freakin smaller than the state of Indiana, yet they're still able to compete with the best of them. How awesome is that!

Anyway, as I've said before, I'm new to soccer, so b/c Portugal is so small, is the SuperLiga a small league as well, or are there some pretty good teams/players there?

Edited by dasox24

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 06:34 AM)
I think I'm going with Liverpool b/c I do think Crouch is funny. God, he looks so out of place...

The best nickname I've heard for him is the Anorexic Matchstick.

Hopefully he pulls out the robot a few times this season. :headbang

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
The best nickname I've heard for him is the Anorexic Matchstick.

Hopefully he pulls out the robot a few times this season. :headbang

:lol: I've heard about the robot after goals, but I can't wait to actually see it! :headbang

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
Yeah, I can't imagine what it must be like for their fans, as well as Juventus and the other teams, too. I mean, just think if the White Sox were found guilty of that, and got sent to the NL ( :P ) and had to sell off most of their good players to the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, etc.

Btw, what's up with you people not giving the Portuguese SuperLiga some love? Portugal is badass (my team in the WC after US got knocked out). I have no Portuguese blood in me or anything, but I just like them (except for that cry baby Cristiano Ronaldo). I mean, it's freakin smaller than the state of Indiana, yet they're still able to compete with the best of them. How awesome is that!

Anyway, as I've said before, I'm new to soccer, so b/c Portugal is so small, is the SuperLiga a small league as well, or are there some pretty good teams/players there?

Benfica, Porto, and Sporting Lisbon are decent on the European scale. Porto won the CL in 2005 out of nowhere.

Edited by danman31

Honestly i don't know how anybody can not choose chelsea! They are stacked with talent and they won it last yr.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)

only team i can think of is Benfica

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
Honestly i don't know how anybody can not choose chelsea! They are stacked with talent and they won it last yr.

Damn bandwagon jumpers. It's very easy to be a Chelsea fan right now, it is LOTS more difficult to be a Newcastle fan.

On another note, Newscatle acquired Damien Duff from Chelsea. Solid move IMO.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
Damn bandwagon jumpers. It's very easy to be a Chelsea fan right now, it is LOTS more difficult to be a Newcastle fan.

On another note, Newscatle acquired Damien Duff from Chelsea. Solid move IMO.

I ain't no chelsea fan, im just stating what i feel. Arsenal all the way baby!

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
Hey DBAH0, looks like Newcastles going after your boy Dean Ashton and Chelsea just keeps buying people, Ashley Cole now.

Our manager Alan Pardew and even Ashton himself have said that he won't be going anywhere. Plus I think we'll finish higher than Newcastle this season anyway. Call it the Glenn Roeder curse.

And it's not like we need to sell him anyway.

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 06:58 PM)

Same reason some people don't root for the Yankees, they buy their players. I have a hate for teams like Chelsea seems to be and Manchester United is, and for that, I will never root for them.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
Same reason some people don't root for the Yankees, they buy their players. I have a hate for teams like Chelsea seems to be and Manchester United is, and for that, I will never root for them.

It's not really the same in soccer. Every team buys players. There aren't really many "trades" in soccer.

transparent_celtic_logo.gif

Hail Hail the Celts are here.

The Bhoys are back for another SPL championship, and hopefully a good run into Europe. Hopefully Nakamura can give us some creativity in the midfield. Talk about a classic home kit, the hoops is where its at.

Edited by southsideirish71

I knew Valencia would have a great transfer season. They get Morientes and now Del Horno and are now looking to get Christiano Ronaldo.

Barca signs Thuram and Zambrotta from Juventus, and Crespo might be leaving Chelsea for Inter Milan/AC Milan.

To me, this is probably better than the MLB Trade Deadline.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:29 AM)
I knew Valencia would have a great transfer season. They get Morientes and now Del Horno and are now looking to get Christiano Ronaldo.

Barca signs Thuram and Zambrotta from Juventus, and Crespo might be leaving Chelsea for Inter Milan/AC Milan.

To me, this is probably better than the MLB Trade Deadline.

Yeah, because it's the offseason. Same amount of moves made except there is a little more spice this year with the scandals in Italy.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:35 AM)
Yeah, because it's the offseason. Same amount of moves made except there is a little more spice this year with the scandals in Italy.

Well, I know it's the off-season, but it's mainly because there are far more leagues and teams involved then there would be in the MLB.

The Italian scandals only lead to more rumors. It's like an expansion draft for the rest of the world.

James Milner is probably going to leave Newcastle for West Ham for about 3M. Excellent deal for us, another good young quick English midfielder who can play on both wings.

I'd expect Sorin to go a bigger club than Bolton. Other teams are starting to show a lot more interest in him.

Apparently Chelsea bid $16M for Cole, but Arsenal are holding out for $25M.

In fact, maybe I should start posting the English Gossip in the papers every-day if there's enough interest.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:11 AM)
James Milner is probably going to leave Newcastle for West Ham for about 3M. Excellent deal for us, another good young quick English midfielder who can play on both wings.

I'd expect Sorin to go a bigger club than Bolton. Other teams are starting to show a lot more interest in him.

Apparently Chelsea bid $16M for Cole, but Arsenal are holding out for $25M.

In fact, maybe I should start posting the English Gossip in the papers every-day if there's enough interest.

I've got it bookmarked and check it every day.

BTW, question for illinilaw since he's a Chelsea fan...how bad was Kezman when he was with the Blues?

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)

BTW, question for illinilaw since he's a Chelsea fan...how bad was Kezman when he was with the Blues?

IIRC on Kezman he was a total flop at Stamford Bridge, and didn't end up scoring for quite a few months, and then was sold after his 1st season there.

I think Zigic may possibly end up at Portsmouth Soxfan1, so it will be interesting to check the giant out, and see if he is better than Peter Crouch. :lol:

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:46 AM)

I see how that post gave you the wrong impression... I was merely showing my contempt with people who decide to support Chelsea now. I'm a Newcastle supporter... unfortunately.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 04:49 AM)
IIRC on Kezman he was a total flop at Stamford Bridge, and didn't end up scoring for quite a few months, and then was sold after his 1st season there.

I think Zigic may possibly end up at Portsmouth Soxfan1, so it will be interesting to check the giant out, and see if he is better than Peter Crouch. :lol:

Those rumors are dead abou Zigic. If he stays, he'll sign long-term with Crvena Zvezda, and if he leaves, he's going to Birmingam City. BTW, he'll be better than Peter Crouch. He's stronger, faster, and a better finisher with the foot. He's still a kid and he's already more athletic than Crouch and doesn't do stupid robot dances. :D

Arsenal, Tottenham, Portsmouth, and others were interested but never made a bid. The lastest rumor is that he's going to Birmingham City to replace Emile Heskey...

http://www.jadransport.org/articles/3098.html

Edited by SoxFan1

The Italian clubs appealed the decision and all got lighter penalties. Juventus is now the only team going down to Serie B and Milan is going back to the Champions League, but they have to go through qualifying. Link

Changes:

Milan- starts season with -8 instead of -15 and has only 30 points taken off 05/06 results (placing them 3rd). They'll start in 3rd round of CL qualifying instead of out of European competition completely.

Lazio- remains in Serie A instead of demotion. Will start season with 11 point penalty.

Fiorentina- remains in Serie A instead of demotion. Will start season with 19 point penalty.

Juventus- point penalty starting next season in Serie B at -17 instead of -30.

As far as the article mentions Lazio and Fiorentina still won't be allowed to play in European competitions.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
The Italian clubs appealed the decision and all got lighter penalties. Juventus is now the only team going down to Serie B and Milan is going back to the Champions League, but they have to go through qualifying. Link

Changes:

Milan- starts season with -8 instead of -15 and has only 30 points taken off 05/06 results (placing them 3rd). They'll start in 3rd round of CL qualifying instead of out of European competition completely.

Lazio- remains in Serie A instead of demotion. Will start season with 11 point penalty.

Fiorentina- remains in Serie A instead of demotion. Will start season with 19 point penalty.

Juventus- point penalty starting next season in Serie B at -17 instead of -30.

As far as the article mentions Lazio and Fiorentina still won't be allowed to play in European competitions.

Well, that changes the perspective quite a bit. Juventus is still goign to lose a spiffload of players. Del Piero and Nevded are "definitely" staying, according to what I'm reading and Buffon plans on staying as well. If they manage to keep some sort of talent and do well, they can get promoted back to Serie A in one season.