Two sox scouts at yanks/ Indians 7-5 game

beck72

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:13 PM)
Yeah that would make the most sense, although I couldn't see the Indians dealing with us. Or maybe an outfielder like Jason Michaels.

For a spare part like the 12th pitcher, I could see the Indians dealing w/ us. Whichever team gave them the best deal. The sox would more likely be afraid of dealing w/ the indians, as one of their prospects could hurt the sox for yrs to come.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
The Sox play the Yankees next week, they're most likely scouting the Yankees.

With the Indians in sell off mode [Jason Johnson and Perez traded already] one of their bullpen arms should be on the block. Not that many teams just happen to all show up to scout the Yanks on the same day.

I can't see Betancourt on the block. Though that's who I'd like the sox to pick up. Most likely it's Guillermo Mota, with him being the oldest, least tenure w/ the indians and most expensive arm of the three. Johnson and Perez were all offseason pickups, like Mota.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
With the Indians in sell off mode [Jason Johnson and Perez traded already] one of their bullpen arms should be on the block. Not that many teams just happen to all show up to scout the Yanks on the same day.

I can't see Betancourt on the block. Though that's who I'd like the sox to pick up. Most likely it's Guillermo Mota, with him being the oldest, least tenure w/ the indians and most expensive arm of the three. Johnson and Perez were all offseason pickups, like Mota.

Maybe the Indians are trading a bullpen guy. The likelyhood of the White Sox scouts being present at an Indians/Yankees game with a series coming up against the Yankees next Friday, is that they are there to scout the Yankees. It doesn't hurt that they also see the Indians, but I'm fairly certain the Sox have a pretty good book on all of the Cleveland pitchers.

The Sox play the Yankees 7/14,7/15,7/16. Seattle plays them 7/17,7/18,7/19. Detroit plays Cleveland 7/24,7/25,7/26. This easily could explain why those scouts were there. The Atlanta scout, that's a different story, but just because scouts are at games doesn't mean deals are being discussed. Teams want reports on every player from both leagues.

Eh, I honestly don't believe Shapiro deals one of his pitchers unless we're willing to overpay. Why help a divisional opponent retain their championship? It's not like any of the arms are draining the Indians payroll.

Anyways, I'm not a fan of Mota. He's about the right-handed Marte both in stuff and mental fortitude.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Wickman's been rumored to be a guy available as well, with Cabrera in line to take over as the closer if he is dealt.

Would have made sense for a team like the Reds before they acquired Eddie Guardado (good move by Krivsky) today.

It doesn't make sense for the Sox to trade with a team that will compete for the the playoffs either. It's more likely to be the team that's out of the playoff mix, even if the team is in the same division.

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
Highly doubtful they're there scouting a Cleveland Indian, inner division trades dont occur likely in the thick of a playoff race and why help a division opponent? I'm sure these Sox scouts were there scouting a Yankee but as to who the player is I have no clue...

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
It doesn't make sense for the Sox to trade with a team that will compete for the the playoffs either. It's more likely to be the team that's out of the playoff mix, even if the team is in the same division.

I doubt the Sox are there for trade purposes. They are likely scouting the Yanks, and if they pick up any info on guys they made trade for, that is bonus. You're not going to trade with New York, because you are giving up MLB talent, and you're not going to trade with Cleveland, due to them being a division rival and them being so close to knocking us out of the playoffs last year, unless the price is ridiculously cheap.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
The Sox play the Yankees 7/14,7/15,7/16. Seattle plays them 7/17,7/18,7/19. Detroit plays Cleveland 7/24,7/25,7/26. This easily could explain why those scouts were there. The Atlanta scout, that's a different story, but just because scouts are at games doesn't mean deals are being discussed. Teams want reports on every player from both leagues.

This sounds like the most realistic reason I have heard. Also, if anything, I'd assume the Braves scout was there checking out people from New York for potential trades, but I would have no knowledge of who he would be scouting.

I am wondering if Mark Shapiro makes it to next season. This was supposed to be the year when the Indians took the next step, and they have massively regressed and are now sliding back into rebuilding mode. This past offseason Shapiro clearly dropped the ball in replacing his departed players. I wonder which players are considered untouchable and which players are on the list to be moved ASAP?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
I doubt the Sox are there for trade purposes. They are likely scouting the Yanks, and if they pick up any info on guys they made trade for, that is bonus. You're not going to trade with New York, because you are giving up MLB talent, and you're not going to trade with Cleveland, due to them being a division rival and them being so close to knocking us out of the playoffs last year, unless the price is ridiculously cheap.

This sounds like the most realistic reason I have heard. Also, if anything, I'd assume the Braves scout was there checking out people from New York for potential trades, but I would have no knowledge of who he would be scouting.

But advanced scouts and talent scouts are different aren't they? I guess this really happens every year about this time. There's always a story about scouts and it goes nowhere. Maybe the reporters don't know that scouts are there to do different things.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
I am wondering if Mark Shapiro makes it to next season. This was supposed to be the year when the Indians took the next step, and they have massively regressed and are now sliding back into rebuilding mode. This past offseason Shapiro clearly dropped the ball in replacing his departed players. I wonder which players are considered untouchable and which players are on the list to be moved ASAP?

If anyone takes a fall for their struggles, it will be Wedge. I hear is job is hanging by a string.