Red Sox @ White Sox - July 8

Heads22

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well hopefully our bats come along for the ride. Freddy hopefully will bring his 90+ fastball tomorrow. I will be at this game, after first getting a pre-game tailgate snack of Brats and Beer.

AJ behind the dish, and hopefully Ozzie goesnt get goofy and put Mack in for Anderson. Anderson is swinging a good stick and we need to ride this out.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 12:46 AM)
I was pissed that Ozzie took him out in the 8th for a pinch hitter. We need mo BA! :headbang

I actually made a bet with my friend at the game that BA would hit a homer in his second AB today. If BA did it, I would win $10. If he didn't, I gave my friend 50 cents. It turns out he lined out to second and I lost 50 cents.

This bet was made before the game started because I was that confident in him.

Edited by whitesoxin'

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
I actually made a bet with my friend at the game that BA would hit a homer in his second AB today. If BA did it, I would win $10. If he didn't, I gave my friend 50 cents. It turns out he lined out to second and I lost 50 cents.

Cheap ass.. :lol:

The sad thing is he took BA out for Pods and Pablo out for Mack. Then the very next inning Pods pulled his, I suddenly dont know how to catch fly balls routine. I dont care if Pods cant catch the diving ball in the corner. But fly balls that he has time to settle under, he should catch. That is a mental mistake, physical mistakes happen, mental mistakes are poor focus.

I hope Ozzie keeps BA in over the next two games. You know how itchy he is with right handers with good stuff. He gets into that we need X amount of left handers. BA has a history of hitting toolsy righties.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)
The sad thing is he took BA out for Pods and Pablo out for Mack. Then the very next inning Pods pulled his, I suddenly dont know how to catch fly balls routine. I dont care if Pods cant catch the diving ball in the corner. But fly balls that he has time to settle under, he should catch. That is a mental mistake, physical mistakes happen, mental mistakes are poor focus.

I hope Ozzie keeps BA in over the next two games. You know how itchy he is with right handers with good stuff. He gets into that we need X amount of left handers. BA has a history of hitting toolsy righties.

You think Ozuna would have made that catch?

Not that it's a good excuse, but even if Pods made the catch, it wouldn't have mattered. BTW, Politee sucks.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
You think Ozuna would have made that catch?

Not that it's a good excuse, but even if Pods made the catch, it wouldn't have mattered. BTW, Politee sucks.

Ozuna is not the starting left fielder for the whitesox. BTW I am also sure that Gload wouldnt of caught it either, how is that part of that Pods should of caught the ball. This is a guy that some on this board where peddling to replace Anderson for a while. The fact that he cannot catch a fly ball is scary. Ball goes into mitt, ball comes out of mitt. If Pods had Ozunas hussle and balls he would be a perennial allstar. But how motivated do you have to be when you are tapping a playboy playmate all the time.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
Ozuna is not the starting left fielder for the whitesox. BTW I am also sure that Gload wouldnt of caught it either, how is that part of that Pods should of caught the ball. This is a guy that some on this board where peddling to replace Anderson for a while. The fact that he cannot catch a fly ball is scary. Ball goes into mitt, ball comes out of mitt. If Pods had Ozunas hussle and balls he would be a perennial allstar. But how motivated do you have to be when you are tapping a playboy playmate all the time.

She's gotta be taking a lot of energy out of him prior to game time.

:D

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
But how motivated do you have to be when you are tapping a playboy playmate all the time.

And also so hot!! OMG! Like he so is!! -Katy

He is also going to be in the Hall of Fame as well. :)

Oh s*** nevermind, just his bat.

I'm just wondering if anyone can answer this question honestly for me, what exactly does Scott Podsednik do that is above average? From what I can tell he doesn't have a single tool that can be considered excellent.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
I'm just wondering if anyone can answer this question honestly for me, what exactly does Scott Podsednik do that is above average? From what I can tell he doesn't have a single tool that can be considered excellent.

Last year he got on base and caused havoc.

This year he seems to be trying to hit the ball in the air. When he gets on first he either gets picked off, or does nothing. And it seems this year, he has forgotten how to catch fly balls. Not difficult fly balls, no run of the mill he gets under it fly balls.

Hopefully they start playing Mr. Fields in LF for the rest of the year, and we can go with a Fields/someone else platoon instead of the great he is fast, cant get on base, cant steal routine we have now.

Only thing I can think of is his batting eye besides getting alot of SB and being caught a crap load of times. Excellent disipline at the plate even though he probably stares more at strike three than anyone. To go from striking out 90-100 times in milwakee and only shortening that to 75 from last year (not using this year) is pretty incredible.

The most that makes sense though is his lack of power. Going from the 9-12 homerun days, to the 0-2 homeruns now is above average when you think about it.

When Podsednik is on a roll, he is genuinely our ignitor. He gets on base, scares the hell out of pitchers, and steals. He works the count better than anyone on our team except Thome -- although, yes, he does strike out looking a lot, too.

I'm not sure why he isn't stealing as much as before, but I wonder what kind of calls he's been getting from Ozzie in-game. Maybe Ozzie isn't letting him steal as much, or asking him not to because of an increases confidence in our offense. I don't know. Right now, he's not doing so hot, although his batting average has been up in the last few weeks. He's been, obviously, a streaking player all year. Bad, good, bad good.

I for one am not willing to give up on him, or go after him, partially because I think he does a very good job getting on-base, and partially because the talent is there for him to steal sixty or so bases and cause all the havoc in the world during a game.

When talking about last year's team, KW once said that a lot of the players we had acquired would not have been acquirable if they had been off of good years instead of bad ones. I know Pods was one of the players he referenced with that. AJ, too. But, hell, I don't think Scotty's year has been too bad this year. Not at all.

--------

I have a feeling that, today, we're going to come out blasting away at the Red Sox. Like the Baltimore series.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 07:23 AM)
When Podsednik is on a roll, he is genuinely our ignitor. He gets on base, scares the hell out of pitchers, and steals. He works the count better than anyone on our team except Thome -- although, yes, he does strike out looking a lot, too.

I'm not sure why he isn't stealing as much as before, but I wonder what kind of calls he's been getting from Ozzie in-game. Maybe Ozzie isn't letting him steal as much, or asking him not to because of an increases confidence in our offense. I don't know. Right now, he's not doing so hot, although his batting average has been up in the last few weeks. He's been, obviously, a streaking player all year. Bad, good, bad good.

I for one am not willing to give up on him, or go after him, partially because I think he does a very good job getting on-base, and partially because the talent is there for him to steal sixty or so bases and cause all the havoc in the world during a game.

When talking about last year's team, KW once said that a lot of the players we had acquired would not have been acquirable if they had been off of good years instead of bad ones. I know Pods was one of the players he referenced with that. AJ, too. But, hell, I don't think Scotty's year has been too bad this year. Not at all.

--------

I have a feeling that, today, we're going to come out blasting away at the Red Sox. Like the Baltimore series.

Pods has the green light all the time, I'll guarantee you that. Ever since the injury last year he just hasn't been able to get the same jumps as he used to. I think he's realized that and has slowed himself down a bit. To be honest, I have no problem with Scott's offense like most here, I just can't stand his defense.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
Pods has the green light all the time, I'll guarantee you that. Ever since the injury last year he just hasn't been able to get the same jumps as he used to. I think he's realized that and has slowed himself down a bit. To be honest, I have no problem with Scott's offense like most here, I just can't stand his defense.

His defense doesn't bother me that much. That probably has to do with the fact that, a few days ago, he acknowledged his failures and said he was frustrated with himself over it, and said, "I've been playing like horses***" or something relating to fecal matter. If he weren't trying to fix it and work on it, I'd be angrier with him. I do get frustrated when he errs, but not enough to want him gone or call him a bad player.

Maybe because he's such a "sexy ass", since that's the only reason to want Pods on your team.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 07:53 AM)
His defense doesn't bother me that much. That probably has to do with the fact that, a few days ago, he acknowledged his failures and said he was frustrated with himself over it, and said, "I've been playing like horses***" or something relating to fecal matter. If he weren't trying to fix it and work on it, I'd be angrier with him. I do get frustrated when he errs, but not enough to want him gone or call him a bad player.

Maybe because he's such a "sexy ass", since that's the only reason to want Pods on your team.

I respect for Pods for admitting he's been awful out there, however that's just not good enough. It's nice that he knows it but he has to improve, he's seriously just horrendous out there and it's frusterating as all hell. Then when you factor in the guys speed and realize he's one of the worst left fielders in baseball it becomes even more irritating.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
I respect for Pods for admitting he's been awful out there, however that's just not good enough. It's nice that he knows it but he has to improve, he's seriously just horrendous out there and it's frusterating as all hell. Then when you factor in the guys speed and realize he's one of the worst left fielders in baseball it becomes even more irritating.

Yeah, I'll grant you that, but I thought his defense last year was passable -- nothing more -- and I think that that's more indicative of what he is than what he's done this year. I think he'll fix it up, and be passable by the end of the year, all things considered.