Best Picks Ups Of '06 so far

beautox

Since the ASG is closing in fast and half of the season is already over, I was wondering what everyone would consider some of the top pick ups so far this season. For me 3 come to mind.

Brandon Phillips 2B Cincinnati Reds 25 years old.

acquired from the Indians, for $ or PTBN

.315, 7hr, 44rbi, 16sb/1cs, 22bb/34so, .366obp

Brandon was named the NL player of the week

Corey Patterson CF Baltimore Orioles 26 years old.

acquired from the Cubs, for SS Nate Spears and LHP Carlos Perez

.283, 10hr, 35rbi, 31sb/6cs, 14bb/51so, .320obp

Corey has become what Steve Stone said he would become at the bottom of the order and is curently second in the AL in SB.

Matt Thornton P Chicago White Sox 29 years old.

acquired from the Mariners, for Joe Borchard.

3.49ERA 3W 1L 28.1IP 21H 11R 11ER 4ER 11BB 30SO 1.13WHIP

Since coming over in the trade and under Don Cooper, Matt has become incredibly solid in the sox bp, and continues to only get better.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
i was watching the game over on wciu so i didn't have a chance to hear that but thats awesome.

Actually, it was better than that.

They said that when you play against the White Sox, you play them for seven innings, because in the eighth, Thornton/Cotts come in, and then Jenks, and they're all lights out awesome.

That's not entirely true, but it was incredible to hear that ESPN was pouring love all over our bullpen, and focusing so intently on Matt Thornton.

Mike Lowell's rebounded this season with splits of .301/.355/.503 for Boston.

I don't think you can look past Dan Uggla in terms of a Rule V pick. Would almost be the best 2nd baseman in baseball with his numbers right at the minute.

Eric Byrnes has proven to be a good FA pickup for the D-Backs despite his bad defense with a .886 OPS. Probably trade - bait at the deadline I would imagine.

Jamey Carroll came from nowhere and has a .829 OPS at 2B for the Rockies. Has a .397 OBP with a 36/27 K/BB ratio.

I was almost going to mention Rowand but he's really slipped offensively. Suddenly having BA in CF doesn't look so bad now does it.

I agree with everryone so far, especially on Thornton. I really don't see a need in getting another reliever, because Cotts/Thornton/Jenks is quite devastating to end the game. In the playoffs, the starting pitching will step up and go at least 6 or 7 innings and hand it over to these guys to shut it down.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
Yeah .... Uggla really fits because he cost $25K.

Can you imagine if the D-Backs had kept him, and if he was playing 2nd base for them now. Not that I'm saying Orlando Hudson is bad by any stretch of means (fantastic defensive 2nd baseman), but having Uggla there would make that young core of hitters even better.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
Getting Jason Johnson, Jason Michaels, and Mota for Riske, Crisp, and Rhodes really help pushed their team to the next level.

Shapiro of GM of the year!

We can't evaluate that deal overall until we see the key part of it...Andy Marte.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We can't evaluate that deal overall until we see the key part of it...Andy Marte.

The Indians were suppose to win this year. Unless Shapiro secretly wanted to try and rebuild and not go for the gold this year, that was a very bad trade. (Crisp, Riske, Bard for Shoppach, Mota, Marte, and Riske)

Edited by santo=dorf