TV Plot Shift?

farmteam

Has anyone noticed that a lot of new shows that are debuting are undergoing a "plot shift?" What I mean is, it used to be that a show would be based around a family, an agency, a school, a person, you know something like that. Lately, however, it seems that a lot of shows are based around single events (when I first see commercials for them, I usually think the material would be better suited for a movie). Recently, there have been ads for "Justice" centering around a group of lawyers defending someone in a case (note that it used to be a show would be about a group of lawyers handling different cases every show -- now, the entire series is about one case). Last year, Prison Break all centered around one event (wanna guess what it was?). Vanished is a show coming to Fox next fall about the missing wife of a senator. I realize that these shows go really in depth into the subject matter and all, but still, it revolves around a lone event.

In short, is it just me, or are shows becoming centered around a single event, rather than a group of people and such?

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
Has anyone noticed that a lot of new shows that are debuting are undergoing a "plot shift?" What I mean is, it used to be that a show would be based around a family, an agency, a school, a person, you know something like that. Lately, however, it seems that a lot of shows are based around single events (when I first see commercials for them, I usually think the material would be better suited for a movie). Recently, there have been ads for "Justice" centering around a group of lawyers defending someone in a case (note that it used to be a show would be about a group of lawyers handling different cases every show -- now, the entire series is about one case). Last year, Prison Break all centered around one event (wanna guess what it was?). Vanished is a show coming to Fox next fall about the missing wife of a senator. I realize that these shows go really in depth into the subject matter and all, but still, it revolves around a lone event.

In short, is it just me, or are shows becoming centered around a single event, rather than a group of people and such?

Two of the most popualr shows on TV are 24 and Lost. Copycat shows are bound to happen. Look at the influx of CSI-type shows in 2000 after that show became a hit.

Speaking of the "one event' style shows, there was a GREAT show in the mid-90s called Murder One

Its first season centered around one trail of an actor changed with Murder. Great, great drama. It didn't do well in the ratings.

If you have a chance to check it out. Do it. I guess it was ahead of its time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006GAO3...&v=glance&n=130

Edited by RibbieRubarb