Jason Schmidt

bschmaranz

I was just reading Jason Stark's latest post on his insider blog and he said one team exec. that talked to them said they're trying to acquire Jason Schmidt. It also mentions Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson as possible trade bait, with Kenny having another deal in place for a new centerfielder if this happens.

I'd just like to know why exactly would we need Schmidt unless something is perhaps in place involving Garland/Garcia/Vazquez?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
I was just reading Jason Stark's latest post on his insider blog and he said one team exec. that talked to them said they're trying to acquire Jason Schmidt. It also mentions Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson as possible trade bait, with Kenny having another deal in place for a new centerfielder if this happens.

I'd just like to know why exactly would we need Schmidt unless something is perhaps in place involving Garland/Garcia/Vazquez?

Well, I would absolutely love Jason Schmidt but I don't want Bmac or Anderson going any where. So basically I just said, I'd have to get Jason but I don't want to give anything up for him. Good thing I'm not a gm.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)

Win while you can. The Sox endured 88 years in a row without a championship. Here's a chance to win two. Jason Schmidt sounds good to me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
Also, I believe Schmidt is a free agent after this season.

He is. Like I said, I love Jason Schmidt and would love to get the guy with out having to give up Bmac or Brian but I just don't see that being possible. Unless of course SF wants a starting pitcher who is signed passed this season then who the hell knows what Kenny could pull off. I doubt that's the case but just throwing it out there. I'm sure the cf Kenny would try to acquire would be Mr. Jones but that's probably not realistic. If our starters don't get themselves right in a hurry after the break, I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Kenny make a big splash.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
He is. Like I said, I love Jason Schmidt and would love to get the guy with out having to give up Bmac or Brian but I just don't see that being possible. Unless of course SF wants a starting pitcher who is signed passed this season then who the hell knows what Kenny could pull off. I doubt that's the case but just throwing it out there. I'm sure the cf Kenny would try to acquire would be Mr. Jones but that's probably not realistic. If our starters don't get themselves right in a hurry after the break, I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Kenny make a big splash.

This is Brian Sabean we are talking about here. Why in the bluef*** would he want young players? Young players are the curse to him.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
This is Brian Sabean we are talking about here. Why in the bluef*** would he want young players? Young players are the curse to him.

lol, I was going to say something along those lines but I decided not to cause I knew someone would pick up the slack for me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)

Yeah, but the only thing the Giants hate more than a young player is a first-round draft pick. And if Schmidt walks, he could get two. (Shudders.)

From Buster Olney's blog. Basically mentioning the same rumor...

• Heard a good trade rumor late Sunday, and it makes some sense on the face of it (and for now, it stands as speculation, because I didn't have a chance to call either the White Sox or the Giants to check out whether this has any roots). A talent evaluator has heard that the White Sox would trade pitcher Brandon McCarthy and center fielder Brian Anderson to the San Francisco Giants for Jason Schmidt. This would be a classic Kenny Williams move, getting an impact-type pitcher in Schmidt to augment a rotation that has a 4.60 ERA, and from the Giants' perspective, adding McCarthy, in particular, would allow them to get younger, while getting something for Schmidt before he becomes a free agent; Anderson would give the Giants an outfielder who is less than 4,525 years old.

Now, the deal would seem a little top-heavy in favor of the Giants, in this current marketplace in which young players have such great value; maybe some other part would be headed to Chicago.

And what would the White Sox do for a center fielder? Well, they could probably make a deal for a guy they know and love -- Aaron Rowand, who might be one of the pieces sold off by the Philadelphia Phillies before the trade deadline. And maybe Williams would use one of his excess starting pitchers to get it done.

Yah, I don't like this one bit. I'm all for trading prospects, but McCarthy and Anderson, I believe, are guys we are going to need this year. At the very least, Anderson provides great defense that we need in CF, and McCarthy gives us one more guy to keep us from going to Politte. He also is good insurance if something happens to the rotation. As much as I like Schmidt, adding him at this cost would take a lot of depth out of the current roster...and our depth from top to bottom may be our greatest strength.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
From Buster Olney's blog. Basically mentioning the same rumor...

Yah, I don't like this one bit. I'm all for trading prospects, but McCarthy and Anderson, I believe, are guys we are going to need this year. At the very least, Anderson provides great defense that we need in CF, and McCarthy gives us one more guy to keep us from going to Politte. He also is good insurance if something happens to the rotation. As much as I like Schmidt, adding him at this cost would take a lot of depth out of the current roster...and our depth from top to bottom may be our greatest strength.

Brandon and BA is way too much. I don't want to give up one as it is because they're solid contributors to this years ball club not to mention huge pieces of the future. But both?? Eew.

Rowand's OBP is .317. Anderson's with as bad as he's been is .280. I don't see where you give up all those years of BA and BMac being cheap for half a season of Schmidt, let alone deal away a starter for what appears to me to be a minor upgrade at best, and probably an upgrade only in the short term. Maybe they are absolutely convinced guys like Haeger and Broadway can compete soon.

Now, the deal would seem a little top-heavy in favor of the Giants, in this current marketplace in which young players have such great value; maybe some other part would be headed to Chicago.

Barry Bonds.

And what would the White Sox do for a center fielder? Well, they could probably make a deal for a guy they know and love -- Aaron Rowand, who might be one of the pieces sold off by the Philadelphia Phillies before the trade deadline. And maybe Williams would use one of his excess starting pitchers to get it done.

Not a chance.

This trade is absolutley horses***. First, Rowand isnt going anywhere, and no way is he coming back here. Second, KW does not trade BMAC this season. He knows its a better bet to trade one of the other guys,plus the way BMAC looked yesterday, moving him into the rotation might improve it anyway.

On one hand, I would love Jason Schmidt. He's the power pitcher we need for October. But giving up Brandon McCarthy is overpaying unless you're getting another young starting pitcher in return (only Willis comes to mind). It makes some sense if you're planning to resign Schmidt... the guy is 33, however, so would anyone want to give him a 3/4 year deal?

Also, he's been good this season, but still not as dominating as in 2003/2004.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
BTW, when was the last a rumor like this was talked about with the Sox, and it actaully happened. I really cant remember a deal that went down that we all knew was going to happen....

Exactly, this is not going to happen.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
BTW, when was the last a rumor like this was talked about with the Sox, and it actaully happened. I really cant remember a deal that went down that we all knew was going to happen....

Well, the Griffey rumors were spot on. That deal was in place... it didn't happen, but we knew the Sox had major interest in Griffey.

Edited by Frankensteiner

The only way this makes sense is in a three-way deal that gets the Sox both Schmidt and a center-fielder because the Sox can't give up their two best trade pieces in one trade then turn around and have to fill another hole. Plus, who helps the bullpen when BMAC is gone? Did Vasquez look so impressive out there that he could move? There would have to be more to this than just Schmidt.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:01 AM)
The only way this makes sense is in a three-way deal that gets the Sox both Schmidt and a center-fielder because the Sox can't give up their two best trade pieces in one trade then turn around and have to fill another hole. Plus, who helps the bullpen when BMAC is gone? Did Vasquez look so impressive out there that he could move? There would have to be more to this than just Schmidt.

my guess would be that a guy like vazquez or garcia could be moved for a CF and a bullpen arm....rowand and gordon? im sure it would take more than just one starter to get both, but maybe not if philly is desperate to move flash's contract

No way Kenny gives up McCarthy, especially after his stellar 4 innings yesterday, or was it three? Regardless of that fact, McCarthy needs to be in this starting rotation.

I'd love for the Giants to consider Vazquez or Garcia, as mentioned in previous posts, Sabean loves older "proven" players, Steve Finley comes to mind, not to mention this guy gave up Joe Nathan, Liriano, and Boof Bonser for one year of service of Pierzynski.

My guess is that Kenny is packaging Josh Fields if this deal is going to be made, the Giants have Pedro Feliz playing at third base, not exactly the best option 4 to 5 years down the road considering he's 31. Also their outfield is ancient. Bonds, Finley, Alou. Jesus christ. No wonder they're after Anderson.

If Kenny trades McCarthy I will be PISSED. Anderson I won't be happy about either, but I'd rather deal Brian right now than McCarthy.

So Kenny...DONT TRADE BRANDON.