Jason Schmidt

bschmaranz

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
my guess would be that a guy like vazquez or garcia could be moved for a CF and a bullpen arm....rowand and gordon? im sure it would take more than just one starter to get both, but maybe not if philly is desperate to move flash's contract

I don't see Rowand being moved. All we ever hear is about how he's got the new attitude that the Phillies want.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCarthy AND Anderson?? It's laughable. There's no way we're trading either of those guys for a rental like Schmidt.

But Vazquez would make some sense for a rental. He's on the hook for two more years, so the Giants, while not getting the same quality, are at least getting some longevity at a reasonable price. And Vazquez ought to like Pac Bell. Sure, KW always wanted JV and isn't likely to give up on him yet. But part of the reason he got him was the uncertainty surrounding Garland and Contreras, who hadn't re-signed yet. Now that both of them are in the fold, Vazquez would be a logical piece to trade. Of course, then you've given up Chris Young for a 1-year starter rental. It's not the best way to run a franchise.

(I suppose Freddie Garcia would be another option, but it's one I wouldn't take. I think Freddie has looked bad before and righted himself. I expect he'll do it again. Remember the 1-0 game 4 of the WS? The recent 1-0 shutout of the Cardinals? Freddie has some great games left in him.)

Whether Sabean would take Vazquez is another story. Just don't believe for a second that Kenny Williams is offering either of our two best young players for anything at the moment. Kenny realizes that the Tigers, Twins, and even Cleveland, have a nucleus of young talented ballplayers. If we want to compete with them beyond the next year or two, Kenny is going to have to phase in our young guys or take on a payroll like Boston or the Yanks. Since the latter is not possible, I expect any rumors regarding McCarthy and/or Anderson are false.

How about NO.

I would rather put McCarthy in the rotation, than to trade him for Schmidt for a rental. Anderson is finally hitting. Again why would we give him up. Take a gander at saturdays game, when the ball hit between Cintron and Mack. Now replay that a bunch of times and you will see our new an impoved defense if you get rid of Anderson. I have a better idea. Have Mack start in LF, put Mr. Playboy and his terrible defense on the bench. More balls caught, less free outs, pitching gets better.

The only pitcher that concerns me overall if Freddy because of the large velocity loss.

I think one or the other could get Schmidt. If we trade BMac...we better get Matt Cain in the deal. And if BA is in the deal, I hope we get either Jason Ellison or Fred Lewis.

I don't think this deal will happen as it stands. I could see trading one of our minor league arms, but Kenny isn't going to deal two of our biggest upside chips for a couple of months...

...is he? :ph34r:

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I think one or the other could get Schmidt. If we trade BMac...we better get Matt Cain in the deal. And if BA is in the deal, I hope we get either Jason Ellison or Fred Lewis.

I don't think this deal will happen as it stands. I could see trading one of our minor league arms, but Kenny isn't going to deal two of our biggest upside chips for a couple of months...

...is he? :ph34r:

Matt Cain isn't going to happen. He's basically their version of B-Mac. No way they're trading him.

Well we can bury this rumor. The kiss of death has picked it up and is running it now. So that means pretty much it aint happening.

White Sox Pursuing Jason Schmidt?

Of couple of ESPN columnists seem to have independently arrived at the same trade rumor in their blogs in recent days. Buster Olney's source is a "talent evaluator" while Jayson Stark got word from "an executive who has heard this talk."

According to Olney and Stark, the White Sox would trade Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson to the Giants for Jason Schmidt. The Sox would then acquire a center fielder in a separate trade.

Schmidt, 33, has been the NL's second best pitcher this year behind Brandon Webb. This is his contract year and he's making $10.5 million. Anderson and McCarthy were ranked #1 and #3 among White Sox prospects entering the 2005 season. McCarthy has had superb control at the big league level, with his one flaw being too many home runs allowed. U.S. Cellular inflates home runs by about 35%, while AT&T Park deflates them by around 10%. It's been a rough 81 games for Anderson with the Sox, but the 24 year-old remains in high regard.

Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez, and Jon Garland haven't performed as well as the Sox would've liked; all three own ERAs near 5 entering the All-Star break. Chicago would stand to gain an estimated three wins by replacing one of them with Schmidt. Olney speculated that Kenny Williams could consider using one of his surplus starters to acquire a center fielder.

Names that have come up in center include Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, or Aaron Rowand. None of the three seem feasible for various reasons. The Sox could also consider players like Luis Matos, Willy Taveras, Brady Clark, Juan Pierre, and Ken Griffey Jr. Clark would be a good fit if Doug Melvin makes him available. It certainly wouldn't hurt to add Clark's .380 OBP to the top of the lineup, and he plays capable defense. He's signed through 2007.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Well we can bury this rumor. The kiss of death has picked it up and is running it now. So that means pretty much it aint happening.

*Snaps fingers*

DAMN, and I was so hoping it would happen.

/sarcasm.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)

Now that is funny! Freakin hilarious. Close thread, this deal is dead.

I can't think Kenny would give up BA and BMAC for half year of Schmidt.. maybe if they get hennessey too then maybe i do it, if we have to give up a minor leaguer for that to happen then its a little better. However if you do this trade and not make it a three-way, then your putting yourself in a hole with other GM's that KNOW you NEED a CF and it might cost us even more. Furthurmore if Kenny goes about things this way were gonna end up like how the Pistons feel about their future right now. BA is heating up and the pitching we have can get better, i say bad deal and wait for a better one that isn't so..Top story espn style

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
I really dont have any problem with moving Mac at the right price. But if they were to move BOTH of them in one package, the player we get back better be named Albert, Johan or Roy.....

:bang :lol: Talk about overvaluing your prospects.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Why would SF sell their best pitcher while still in the NL west race?

They would'nt which is why this rumor has no merit. They are still in the NL West race and very much alive in the Wildcard race, gettig Vasquez from us would make a lot more sense than BMac.... they wouldnt let a vetran ace just go in the middle of race, no matter how "out if it" the front office thinks they are......

Play the scenario out for a minute, if we were to acquire Schmidt:

Why wouldn't or couldn't we sign Schmidt to a contract before he becomes a free agent? Wasn't Garcia a rental when we got him and then we signed him long term? I know there is a family connection between him and Ozzie but is there an opportunity that we could keep him for the long run once the season is over?

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
They would'nt which is why this rumor has no merit. They are still in the NL West race and very much alive in the Wildcard race, gettig Vasquez from us would make a lot more sense than BMac.... they wouldnt let a vetran ace just go in the middle of race, no matter how "out if it" the front office thinks they are......

Why would getting Vazquez instead of McCarthy make more sense for the Giants? Vazquez has sucked and has a large contract. It makes no sense to want Vazquez instead of McCarthy. Even if SF thought they were competing, McCarthy would still be the better choice.

QUOTE(innersanctum @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)

Why wouldn't or couldn't we sign Schmidt to a contract before he becomes a free agent? Wasn't Garcia a rental when we got him and then we signed him long term? I know there is a family connection between him and Ozzie but is there an opportunity that we could keep him for the long run once the season is over?

Schmidt is also 33 years old, a 3 or 4 year contract extension for a 33 year old power pitcher with 12 years and over 1800 IP under his belt is a hell of a risk. Plus if he's able to finish out this year with any sort of success, he'll be looking for his last big contract, meaning he's going to go for as much cash as he can get.

This doesn't really make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

QUOTE(innersanctum @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)

Scmidt is older, overpriced, and has been iffy the last few years, plus the move to US Cellular would kick his era up more than one point. We would benefit more by putting BMAC into the rotation, moving Vaz in a deal, picking up a reliever and keeping BA. Both the cost, and the benefits are better that way. Stupid rumor, I think someone read their email from last year and posted the same s***.

Shawn (Chicago) Nothing? Nothing on Schmidt for McCarthy? Nothing on a trade that could have enormous effects on who wins the Series this year?

BUSTER OLNEY

Shawn: I heard it from a couple of execs yesterday, and apparently Jayson Stark heard it, too, because we both wrote about it without talking. Classic Kenny Williams move, if it happens -- he's adding an impact type starting pitcher to a rotation that might be better in reputation than how it has actually performed -- WS are 14th in starters' ERA, at 4.60 (or thereabouts). Kenny could then take a starter and perhaps swap him to Philly for Rowand, and get back his CFer. (Although I know Kenny likes Brian Anderson's potential). From the Giants perspective, it makes sense because they can get younger, and their rotation could still be good enough to win a less than overwhelming division race. I haven't gotten a chance to run this all past WS folks, though, so I wonder what they'll say.

Not saying any of it makes sense, just posting from the chat.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
Scmidt is older, overpriced, and has been iffy the last few years, plus the move to US Cellular would kick his era up more than one point. We would benefit more by putting BMAC into the rotation, moving Vaz in a deal, picking up a reliever and keeping BA. Both the cost, and the benefits are better that way. Stupid rumor, I think someone read their email from last year and posted the same s***.

no, it is on BOTH olney and starks all-star blogs. (not that that means its right, hes just not making it up)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Not saying any of it makes sense, just posting from the chat.

We're 14th in starters' ERA?!

People saying we're 4th must be the ERA of the entire pitching staff. 14th is terrible for how much money they're making and the expectations we have for them.