Garcia/Garland to the mets?

beautox

From Sherman of the New York Post

Minaya does not have Kazmir on his record. But in late June 2002, desperate to make the Expos a contender, he made one of the worst deals of the decade, obtaining Bartolo Colon from Cleveland for Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee and Brandon Phillips.

These days, Minaya is wise enough to say, "even when you are in first place [by 12 games] you want to act, but what is the price?"

He will, in other words, not use Lastings Milledge or Mike Pelfrey for a quick fix. Only Dontrelle Willis, just 24 and years from free agency, would entice him to consider moving either. And it would probably take both just to get Florida's attention. The Marlins seem intent on retaining their most recognizable player in hopes of securing a new stadium and, even if they put Willis on the market, they have indicated the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Tigers are the teams with the best matches.

Unless, that is, the Mets would pair up Pelfrey (who technically is not eligible to be dealt until a year from signing his first pro contract, which is January 2007) and Milledge or the Yanks would combine Robinson Cano and Philip Hughes.

So both New York GMs probably must aim lower while having teams that are shooting high and fan bases that expect stars, not supplementary parts. Minaya and Cashman have all the power. All the responsibility, as well.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
I don't think there's a chance in hell KW would ship Freddy out of town without consulting Ozzie and getting his OK first. He doesn't need his blessing, but its best for everyone that he gets it, at least concerning Garcia.

You're a wise man.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
I don't think there's a chance in hell KW would ship Freddy out of town without consulting Ozzie and getting his OK first. He doesn't need his blessing, but its best for everyone that he gets it, at least concerning Garcia.

Oh, I'm sure that they've spoken about it before and I agree that there's no way that KW would deal Freddy without at least speaking to Ozzie first. But given how KW likes to assert his authority, I don't think that he'd not make a deal that he thought would improve the team just because he didn't get Ozzie's "permission."

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
For the short-term, Gordon is more valuable than Milledge. We all know that we're focused on the next 2 seasons as our "window".

your selling 2 seasons as our "window" and im not buying.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
If KW is shopping Freddy, Ozzie must have given his blessing. I think that says enough right there.

I agree, like has been mentioned him showing up his own players, Ozzie (family or not) doesn't stand for that crap.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
If he's not locating his offspeed stuff, I agree.

I've seen Freddy throw 88-89 consistently and reach back to throw 91-93 on a gun that clocked Jenks at 97-99 later in the same game. When people say that Freddy's fastball is 86 mph, it's misleading.

I was at Freddy's last two games. At the Baltimore game on July 3rd. He was throwing 86-88 on his fastball. The same gun was recording Bedard at 94 consistantly. The same gun had politte at 90/91. The same gun that day had Bmac at 89/90.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
You mean the back-up catcher? I'll pass. He has some attitude issues. The thing people forget about Widger is that he's our player rep. Thus, he's going nowhere during the season.

No, I'm sorry I didn't clarify. I meant if the Sox traded with Phillies, they could get Fabio Castro back since he was traded for Haigwood.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
You're a wise man.

Maybe that talk started about a week ago when Ozzie started calling out garcia about holding runners on base, and thinking his stuff is so good that he can jsut let runners get to second base. Wasn't that around the time when Ozzie and KW started talking about the roster for the second half. Just curious

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
The White Sox won't trade one of the two unless they get a stunning deal.

Would you do Lastings Milledge, Duaner Sanchez for Freddy Garcia?

Add in Cliff Politte if necessary.

Do you really think Minaya is that much of an idiot to trade a future all star for many years to come in Lastings, and a very promising young reliever for Freddy and a man whos pitching as if he should be in Charlotte?? abolsutely not..

in no way is this post saying that we could get milledge, but since hes been discussed so much let me say that I think he is one of the most overrated prospects in baseball.....anytime any prospect in the bosox, mets, yankees system puts up good numbers, they become the next fill in the blank, and prospects like chris young who in my opinion will be the superior player to milledge are talked about far less often, so the general consensus is that milledge is a sure fire stud

this is not to say hes not a good, even great prospect, but so many people tend to overrate him and say hes a sure fire stud

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
Do you really think Minaya is that much of an idiot to trade a future all star for many years to come in Lastings, and a very promising young reliever for Freddy and a man whos pitching as if he should be in Charlotte?? abolsutely not..

It's not whether he's dumb enough to do it, it's whether he gets desperate enough that he is FORCED to do it.

Let's take a look at the Mets starting rotation as of right now:

1. Glavine

2. El Duque

3. Trachsel

4. John Maine

5. Mike Pelfrey

Wow how would you feel if the White Sox rotation looked like that heading into the playoffs? I'm not sure about Pedro's health, so we don't know how he is going to respond once he comes off the DL. Minaya knows that rotation won't cut it, and I'm sure is feeling the heat. I also go to school out on the east coast, and the pressure for the Mets to win is 10 times more this year than other years past, especially since the Yanks aren't in a position to make the post-season.

The Mets have been a laughing stock for awhile in the Big Apple, and there is no doubt in my mind that Minaya would part ways with Milledge if he absolutly had to.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
I haven't seen him above 91 mph on a legit gun this season. Also, it doesn't matter what he can max out at. If he's consistently around 88 mph the whole game, he's going to get crushed.

He hasn't been great, especially with the money we are paying him. But he does have 10 QS so it isn't like he is terrible out there.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
He hasn't been great, especially with the money we are paying him. But he does have 10 QS so it isn't like he is terrible out there.

He has had some good starts. I think the league is catching up to his new "style" however, and although he never could hold on runners, its now automatic they run every chance they get on him. Unless he was saving himself for the second half, and actually finds a fastball that would be impressive to anyone above Pony league, I think there's a very good chance his ERA is actually going to rise in the second half.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
in no way is this post saying that we could get milledge, but since hes been discussed so much let me say that I think he is one of the most overrated prospects in baseball.....anytime any prospect in the bosox, mets, yankees system puts up good numbers, they become the next fill in the blank, and prospects like chris young who in my opinion will be the superior player to milledge are talked about far less often, so the general consensus is that milledge is a sure fire stud

this is not to say hes not a good, even great prospect, but so many people tend to overrate him and say hes a sure fire stud

i think your right prospects like Nick Markakis go by the wayside because hes with the 0's. while i think milledge has the potential to be good, i also think he has the potential to be Corey Patterson and i like Corey Patterson, so that for what its worth.

The Sox should get rid of Freddy while everyone else still thinks he can pitch. Its like Roberto Alomar. He struggled in NY. When the Sox acquired him everyone was saying he's going to be with his brother, he's leaving NY, he'll be back in the AL, he'll return to form. He was done. Other than his won/loss totals, Freddy appears to be nearing the end of his usefullness in a major league rotation. Someone will pay up for his name. Please KW, pretend you are at Joe Perillo and make the deal.