"This Too Shall Pass" Thread

beck72

Even after being swept by the Yanks, and looking bad vs the Red sox the three previous games, the sky is still not falling. This too will pass. The sox pitching can't get much worse. The offense can't be so ineffective in driving in runs. The defense can't be so shaky. A 3 game losing streak isn't great. But they've avoided big slides all year, only 2 four game streaks. They are still up in the wild card, and not far behind Detroit in the Central.

The sox are healthy [i hope so]. There's a lot of baseball left to play. This team has more offense than last year, and just as much if not more heart. No deficit is too much for this team as they'll keep on fighting. The starters should turn it around, as all 5 have had substandard 1st halves [even Jose from what he had been pitching like the past year]. Jenks, Cotts, BMac and Thornton are very solid in the 'pen.

So, for the pessimists, find another thread. This is for the silent majority who think the 2006 White sox have just as good a chance of winning the World Series as any team in baseball [save for some bullpen help of course, and any other gifts KW has up his sleeve]. Playoffs or Bust, 2006 White Sox!

I'll add to the list as time goes on. So, who's with me?

Beck 72

PS. Even for ye' of little faith, don't fret. You can sign on at any time [up until the day they clinch a playoff birth].

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This losing streak will pass. But right now we have a fundamental problem that even the next winning streak will not fix...we are being carried by our offense instead of our pitching. Last year, being carried by the pitching allowed us to, except for 1 stretch, cut short almost every major slump the team got into. This year, while being carried by the offense, we're far streakier, as we can go into slumps just by scoring 4 runs in a game.

This is a fundamental problem, and whether it takes a trade, or Cooper smacking 5 guys across the ass with baseball bats, something needs to be done to fix it.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
right on board

good to have you

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
This losing streak will pass. But right now we have a fundamental problem that even the next winning streak will not fix...we are being carried by our offense instead of our pitching. Last year, being carried by the pitching allowed us to, except for 1 stretch, cut short almost every major slump the team got into. This year, while being carried by the offense, we're far streakier, as we can go into slumps just by scoring 4 runs in a game.

This is a fundamental problem, and whether it takes a trade, or Cooper smacking 5 guys across the ass with baseball bats, something needs to be done to fix it.

So you're non-committal, correct :)

As an aside, the 2006 sox are far less "slumpy" and more consistent than the 2005 cast of characters [i know there is no such word but I'm in a mood]

Edited by beck72

I'm not worried yet, although clearly the pitching needs to get better.

Call me crazy, I like our chances in the Detroit series. The matchups are Garland/Robertson, Vazquez/Bonderman, and Contreras/Rogers. Obviously that middle one is an issue, but I think we can win the other two.

Another interesting thing about our record: we seem to struggle against teams that can hit more than teams that can pitch. Look at the teams that we have losing records against: Boston, New York, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay. Those teams can put up some runs (well, not Tampa Bay most of the time), but don't exactly have the most competent pitching staffs. On the other hand, we're 12-2 against the top 3 teams in the AL in ERA, which are Detroit, the Angels, and Oakland. It seems like our problems come against teams that can slug with us. I thought that was a bit weird. The only problem with that is that the Yankees are also 4th in ERA, and Detroit is 6th in offense.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
As an aside, the 2006 sox are far less "slumpy" and more consistent than the 2005 cast of characters [i know there is no such word but I'm in a mood]

As a team, I don't think they are. The 2005 squad had exactly 1 slump where everyone was panicking. Thus far I count 3 major ones thus far this season.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:40 PM)
I'm not worried yet, although clearly the pitching needs to get better.

Call me crazy, I like our chances in the Detroit series. The matchups are Garland/Robertson, Vazquez/Bonderman, and Contreras/Rogers. Obviously that middle one is an issue, but I think we can win the other two.

Another interesting thing about our record: we seem to struggle against teams that can hit more than teams that can pitch. Look at the teams that we have losing records against: Boston, New York, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay. Those teams can put up some runs (well, not Tampa Bay most of the time), but don't exactly have the most competent pitching staffs. On the other hand, we're 12-2 against the top 3 teams in the AL in ERA, which are Detroit, the Angels, and Oakland. It seems like our problems come against teams that can slug with us. I thought that was a bit weird.

I'll put you down as a yes. But you can take yourself off at anytime

I'm not that worried about the Detroit series either. The pressure is on them, really not the sox. They have to prove they can beat the Sox. The sox will show up, ready to play IMO.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
I'll put you down as a yes. But you can take yourself off at anytime

I'm not that worried about the Detroit series either. The pressure is on them, really not the sox. They have to prove they can beat the Sox. The sox will show up, ready to play IMO.

Don't worry, I won't be going anywhere. :D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
As a team, I don't think they are. The 2005 squad had exactly 1 slump where everyone was panicking. Thus far I count 3 major ones thus far this season.

2 four game slumps and 1 three game losing streaks are not "major" in my book

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
2 four game slumps and 1 three game losing streaks are not "major" in my book

We've lost 5 of our last 6 as well, and for another of those stretches we were 3-7....they don't have to be consecutive losing streaks for them to be losing skids.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)

:huh: :unsure: :huh: :unsure:

Last year's slump was collossal and sent many top the ledge...and I have no idea what 3 "major" slumps you're talking about this year...

Anyways, count me in as a firm-yet-unhappy-and-slightly-nervous-at-the-moment believer.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
We've lost 5 of our last 6 as well, and for another of those stretches we were 3-7....they don't have to be consecutive losing streaks for them to be losing skids.

Didn't the sox win the previous 7 or 9 series before dropping the last two?

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
:huh: :unsure: :huh: :unsure:

Last year's slump was collossal and sent many top the ledge...and I have no idea what 3 "major" slumps you're talking about this year...

Anyways, count me in as a firm-yet-unhappy-and-slightly-nervous-at-the-moment believer.

Okee Dokee, you're on!

on paper all true, each of our guys has shown what they CAN do so there's reason to have faith for sure, but this is White Sox country and one dominating post season and WS championship, isn't enough for all of us to act like Yankee fans who believe our billion dollar payroll of all-world talent will come through in the end, just like it will this year when they take the east.....again......

I do however gotsta believe that we can't get any worse or unlucky. Things just seem to come in waves. Crede's double today being short of a two run jack, Iguchi's double hitting just 1 foot below the top of the wall, every Yankee DP turned with perfect accuracy. Thome just getting called out at second, even though he was safe, Dye just barely not beatig out that DP. Once we can start capitalizing in the early innings, which we will, our starters can pitch a little more relaxed, and then the team can start to get that "believing" attititude back and the luck can start to change directions. AND I still contend that Detroit's staff cannot sustain the same level all the way through September, three guys who no one ever heard of CANNOT simultaneously sustain ERAs around 3.5 to the very end. Every team has to have a bad stretch and they have their day of mental doubt still ahead of them....

However, a few things that have to change for the SOX by force

+ Freddy's got to go, a guys who's changeup and fastball are both 85 mph will get rocked in a high school game

+ Konerko has got to rember how to go opposite field again, which was so freakin effective last year

+ Thome has to layoff that low outside slider from left handed pitchers

+ Iguchi and Pods have to remember how to bunt

+ Cora can't keep sending guys like Crede when the ball is going to arrive at the plate before he's 1/2 there

+ The whole team has to be more selective and force pitchers to put it over the plate or surrender the walk like we did ALL of last year

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Didn't the sox win the previous 7 or 9 series before dropping the last two?

Okee Dokee, you're on!

Some of that was against the NL central. The NL central was a real tough division to run up some winning streaks on. The Royals could challenge the NL Central for dominance.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
The Sox are 1-5 in their last 6 to simply call that a 3 game losing streak is inaccurate.

No, it's accurate. Would it be accurate to call it a five game losing streak? :D

I did preface my 1st post in saying the sox lost 2 of three to Boston before the break

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
Even after being swept by the Yanks, and looking bad vs the Red sox the three previous games, the sky is still not falling. This too will pass. The sox pitching can't get much worse. The offense can't be so ineffective in driving in runs. The defense can't be so shaky. A 3 game losing streak isn't great. But they've avoided big slides all year, only 2 four game streaks. They are still up in the wild card, and not far behind Detroit in the Central.

The sox are healthy [i hope so]. There's a lot of baseball left to play. This team has more offense than last year, and just as much if not more heart. No deficit is too much for this team as they'll keep on fighting. The starters should turn it around, as all 5 have had substandard 1st halves [even Jose from what he had been pitching like the past year]. Jenks, Cotts, BMac and Thornton are very solid in the 'pen.

So, for the pessimists, find another thread. This is for the silent majority who think the 2006 White sox have just as good a chance of winning the World Series as any team in baseball [save for some bullpen help of course, and any other gifts KW has up his sleeve]. Playoffs or Bust, 2006 White Sox!

I'll add to the list as time goes on. So, who's with me?

Beck 72

PS. Even for ye' of little faith, don't fret. You can sign on at any time [up until the day they clinch a playoff birth].

Looking at the starting rotation, I suspect that may not be the case. One or two of them may be hurt.

And I still think the Sox will make the playoffs, if that counts for something.

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
on paper all true, each of our guys has shown what they CAN do so there's reason to have faith for sure, but this is White Sox country and one dominating post season and WS championship, isn't enough for all of us to act like Yankee fans who believe our billion dollar payroll of all-world talent will come through in the end, just like it will this year when they take the east.....again......

I do however gotsta believe that we can't get any worse or unlucky. Things just seem to come in waves. Crede's double today being short of a two run jack, Iguchi's double hitting just 1 foot below the top of the wall, every Yankee DP turned with perfect accuracy. Thome just getting called out at second, even though he was safe, Dye just barely not beatig out that DP. Once we can start capitalizing in the early innings, which we will, our starters can pitch a little more relaxed, and then the team can start to get that "believing" attititude back and the luck can start to change directions. AND I still contend that Detroit's staff cannot sustain the same level all the way through September, three guys who no one ever heard of CANNOT simultaneously sustain ERAs around 3.5 to the very end. Every team has to have a bad stretch and they have their day of mental doubt still ahead of them....

However, a few things that have to change for the SOX by force

+ Freddy's got to go, a guys who's changeup and fastball are both 85 mph will get rocked in a high school game

+ Konerko has got to rember how to go opposite field again, which was so freakin effective last year

+ Thome has to layoff that low outside slider from left handed pitchers

+ Iguchi and Pods have to remember how to bunt

+ Cora can't keep sending guys like Crede when the ball is going to arrive at the plate before he's 1/2 there

+ The whole team has to be more selective and force pitchers to put it over the plate or surrender the walk like we did ALL of last year

I smell a yes in there!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
Looking at the starting rotation, I suspect that may not be the case. One or two of them may be hurt.

And I still think the Sox will make the playoffs, if that counts for something.

Yes it does! Don't discount the power of positive thinking

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
Some of that was against the NL central. The NL central was a real tough division to run up some winning streaks on. The Royals could challenge the NL Central for dominance.

A win's a win, my boy, any way you can get them

We are playing bad and there are some definite problems, but I know we have the talent and I'm expecting Jon to continue to pitch good, Jose to do his thing and in fact get more so to how he was early this year while I actually think Vazquez is going to have a big 2nd half.

I just hope Buehrle can figure things out...who knows about Freddy but we can put this thing back together real quick, imo. At the same time, if tihe pitching doesn't improve this team isn't going to be wearing another ring this time next year.