"This Too Shall Pass" Thread

beck72

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
lol

I see way more exaggerated bashing around here. Predicting doom may be the cool thing to do, but there's nothing wrong with a little realistic optimism.

Sleep have you watched our supposed number 2 pitcher Freddy throw this year. Have you noticed anything funny about the velocity. Do you think he is just mothballing his fastball for the postseason for whatever reason, or maybe there is something there.

Sleep do you see the pitching staff overall. Any similiarities to 2001-2004. In fact great O, medicore pitching staff, bad fundamentals, too reliant on the long ball. That is pretty much the formula for the Pre 2005 world champion whitesox.

We have a great offense this year. I figured our pitching would drop a bit. I had no idea how far it would drop though. Our pitching is downright horrid outside of Garland and the Count right now.

If we were pitching okay, and hitting like we were and this was a slump. I wouldnt have a problem. But our pitching really hasnt been there all year long.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
Realistic optimism or blind optimism? Once you throw away stats, current and past performances and trends and just go with odd gut feelings and optimism to form your arguments I'd say you've lost any attachment you once had to reality.

Four of the SP's are doing far worse than their career avgs, not to mention their most recent yr. And Jose is even slumping compared to what he had been doing the past year. Barring any injuries [which may be in Freddy's case] there is a lot of reason to expect the sox pitchers can realistically turn it around in the 2nd half

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
Realistic optimism or blind optimism? Once you throw away stats, current and past performances and trends and just go with odd gut feelings and optimism to form your arguments I'd say you've lost any attachment you once had to reality.

I believe I said realistic.

Personally, I think the rotation, outside of freddy, can't get a whole lot more s***ty and it isn't blind optimism to think that they can revert to numbers closer to what their averages are...

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Sleep do you see the pitching staff overall. Any similiarities to 2001-2004. In fact great O, medicore pitching staff, bad fundamentals, too reliant on the long ball. That is pretty much the formula for the Pre 2005 world champion whitesox.

This team is not like the 2001-2004 sox. Even when they lose they have a pulse, and show heart.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
I believe I said realistic.

Personally, I think the rotation, outside of freddy, can't get a whole lot more s***ty and it isn't blind optimism to think that they can revert to numbers closer to what their averages are...

Good post. Our pitching needs to get better obviously, but there is plenty of reason to think that it will.

We have the second best record despite playing like crap for a couple of weeks. We'll get hot again, just like we'll slump again. Let's just hope we get hot more than we slump.

There is nothing unrealistic about our record this year. We dont' have anywhere near the luck factor that we did last year.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
We dont' have anywhere near the luck factor that we did last year.

I criticize you often for complaining about bloopers, etc. However, I definitely agree that it seems we're not catching the breaks we got last year. It's funny, but the Tigers seem to be catching all the breaks now.

Thank you Beck for shedding a ray of hope on a bad sunday as we just got swept in New York. Hell we can return the favor and sweep them at home later in the year. We can win 2 of 3 in Boston and go 6-6 vs the 'beasts from the easts' and everyone can stop panicing. Its better to struggle now and get it over with, than down the stretch when the games matter the most.

THank you Beck!

Count me in as on board..

The off day tomorrow is a good thing for the Sox. The team looks sluggish, tired, and not hustling at all. And it's all contagious from player to player. I wonder if they're still feeling the effects of the 19-inning marathon of last Sunday.. and then straight to the all-star game with millions of interviews..surely it's been a long week for some of the guys. If Garland can hold his own Tues night like he did in his last start (shutout through 5), it'll put a spark in the rotation, the rest of the SP will feed off the others' performances, and we might see a little winning streak on the horizon. After Detroit, our home crowd will give the Sox the boost to roll through the 2nd half. I'm not worried yet at all.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Thank you Beck for shedding a ray of hope on a bad sunday as we just got swept in New York. Hell we can return the favor and sweep them at home later in the year. We can win 2 of 3 in Boston and go 6-6 vs the 'beasts from the easts' and everyone can stop panicing. Its better to struggle now and get it over with, than down the stretch when the games matter the most.

THank you Beck!

You're welcome!

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
IM ON! but i am off if freddy garcia tries to join.

You got it. Only the good Freddy is allowed!

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Count me in as on board..

The off day tomorrow is a good thing for the Sox. The team looks sluggish, tired, and not hustling at all. And it's all contagious from player to player. I wonder if they're still feeling the effects of the 19-inning marathon of last Sunday.. and then straight to the all-star game with millions of interviews..surely it's been a long week for some of the guys. If Garland can hold his own Tues night like he did in his last start (shutout through 5), it'll put a spark in the rotation, the rest of the SP will feed off the others' performances, and we might see a little winning streak on the horizon. After Detroit, our home crowd will give the Sox the boost to roll through the 2nd half. I'm not worried yet at all.

Now that's optimism for you

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)
Count me in as well...The way i see it, we haven't even played our best ball yet.

That's the ticket. And I fully agree. The sox haven't been near as good as they have the talent to be.

Here’s a tentative “2006 Playoffs or Bust!” list. I may have inferred some in error, or omitted others. Let me know. There’s plenty of time to be added or subtracted.

Beck 72

Gregory Pratt

Rangercal

ZoomSlowik

SleepyWhiteSox

Stretchstretch

Milkman Delivers

Chisoxfn

Jake

EvilJester99

Jphat007

GreatScott82

Shawnhillegas

SouthSidePride05

MHizzle85

Tony82087

Vandy125

Greg Hibbard

Sonik22

Goldmember

LosMediasBlancas

ChiSoxFan

Edited by beck72

I am way on board

this is still not nearly as bad as last august, and I like our chances to win 100 games

our starting pitching staff has thrown about as bad as you'd ever expect on an aggregate level, and we are still posting a very good W/L record. I think Garcia/Buehrle/Garland/Contreras can and will be straightened out. Vazquez will not be.

Take a look at Boston's last ten if you want to see another team that's struggling...keep in mind they dropped 3/4 to the mighty D-Rays just before coming to our house, which I believe puts them at 4-6 in their last ten. Exactly the same as ours, if I'm not mistaken.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
I like to think of my self as a realist, but more on the optimistic side of things. With that in mind, the Sox are playing horrible baseball right now. Almost to the point that I really dont want to turn on the game, because I am afraid of the score I am going to see.

With that said, there is a reason most in the baseball world STILL call us the best team in baseball. We have an awesome of talent, that has proven it can win at the highest level, and there is no reason to beleive that at some point it can get back to that point.

In my eyes, this team is going through a major slump right now, and they have to get out of it quick,because like others have said, its different than 05. They dont have a 15 game lead to work with. We are the hunters, and its a position the Sox didnt have to be in all last year.

While it wont tell the whole season, we are going to learn alot about the 2006 White Sox on Tuesday,Wednesday,and Thursday.

count me in for the 2006 playoffs or bust...... I've felt the same way u have. I've been afraid to watch the game it just feels like were gonna loose. But with that said i feel this tema will turn it around, we still are one of the best teams and the tigers shouldn't stand a chance.

Pfft, I'm in, balls deep, til the end as usual. I believed in a team for 37 years that hadn't won s***. Why would I quit on a team that just won the f***in' WS??!

Geez are we already starting the 'are you in or out' thread? I'm convinced some of you guys just enjoy worrying. :huh

I'd rather be going through this now while there is still time to straighten it out, than in late September during a tight race.

GO SOX :headbang

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:29 AM)
Geez are we already starting the 'are you in or out' thread? I'm convinced some of you guys just enjoy worrying. :huh

Not really. Just a way to head off the pessimists from an all out take over of Soxtalk :)

Hopefully, the in or out thread won't be needed this year

We are just lulling

Other teams into thinking

They can beat the Sox

In fact, the White Sox

Are still baseball's best team

And we will prove it

Have no fear Sox fans

Would you swap our warriors

For another team?

Winning July games

Is not essential prelude

To October wins

Pitching and defense

Will reemerge and become

Our team theme again

Until it comes back

Power bats will carry us

Into the playoffs

Once in, we won't care

If we have the Wild Card slot

Or win the Central

No team can stop us

From repeating as World Champs

We will find a way

Ya gotta believe

In this solid White Sox team

To go all the way!

Back-to-back titles

Flying over the South Side

It's gonna be sweet.

I'm a frequent reader, infrequent poster. I'm 100% in on the Sox. So what? We didnt' play well against the East, where we constantly feel inferior due to media pressures. The Tigers are more like the Sox in 2000 than the Sox in 2005. The 2006 White Sox have a ton of talent and haven't played up to their ability yet this season. Hopefully nobody is hurt, but this team is primed for a great 2nd half. So are the Tigers. Can't wait.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
Here’s a tentative “2006 Playoffs or Bust!” list. I may have inferred some in error, or omitted others. Let me know. There’s plenty of time to be added or subtracted.

Beck 72

Gregory Pratt

Rangercal

ZoomSlowik

SleepyWhiteSox

Stretchstretch

Milkman Delivers

Chisoxfn

Jake

EvilJester99

Jphat007

GreatScott82

Shawnhillegas

SouthSidePride05

MHizzle85

Tony82087

Vandy125

Greg Hibbard

Sonik22

Goldmember

LosMediasBlancas

ChiSoxFan

It might have been better if you just put it in your sig (below line) or something.. :lol:

Eh... what the hell, I'll join, even though I don't get this thread.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
I created that stupid "In or Out" thread last year, and there is no need for it this year...

That's one of the reasons why I don't understand this thread. I mean the sox are going to be playing the Tigers this series, and if we win 2/3 or sweep, then this is mute despite our struggles. It would have been better if say, the sox lost 2/3 or got swept, then we would really see who believes in this team this season. There's a couple other reasons as well, but I won't get into them. But like I said, I'll be a reasonable sport, even though I don't like joining certian s*** unless I was the one askin/giving the word to join.. :D